Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is Chiswick nice?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

To live/work/play?

TheBrick
    Free Member

yummy mummies
    overpriced
    poncy.

Personally I’d go for Shepherds bush in that area or if I wanted a quitter life Ealing / Acton way.

Lifer
    Free Member

What’s cheaper around there?

Ta

bananaworld
    Free Member

Big up the Brentford massif!

Also, Acton is cheaper and has a wider selection of chicken shops.

clubber
    Free Member

Putney/Southfields for me though really it depends where the rest of your life/work/etc are.

xcstu
    Free Member

Never understood the appeal of Putney.. ride through everyday and is simply a dump 🙁

mudshark
    Free Member

I lived near Chiswick for 10 years, I was in the Wendell Park area north of Stamford Brook tube – W12 – which is relatively quiet. I’d say Chiswick is a well off family sort of an area but I liked it. Where I lived is cheaper than the nice W4 areas but close to Bedford Park which is the best part of Chiswick I think; I walked through there to Chiswick High St in 15 mins.

Acton not so nice but some residential parts are nice – I was close to the W3 boundary. Shepherds Bush and Hammersmith are nearby and have more of a London feel to them – Chiswick is more seperate.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Tooting Bec, but be quick!

djglover
    Free Member

Northfields is good!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Chiswick is very nice. But very pricey and family-centric.
    Depends what you are after and your budget really.

LOL at Tooting Bec, now that is a shithole.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s “not bad” but I wouldn’t want to live there. Then again I live much further out than that because I#d had enough of living “in London”.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Chiswick will always remind of only one thing.

djglover
    Free Member

Thats chigwell no?

atlaz
    Free Member

he said it’d always remind him of it, not that the association he had in his head was correct 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

Thanks for the help!

mcboo
    Free Member

yummy mummies
    overpriced
    poncy.

Personally I’d go for Shepherds bush in that area or if I wanted a quitter life Ealing / Acton way.

Yes why live somewhere pleasant when you can sneer from a nearby sh1thole.

clubber
    Free Member

Never understood the appeal of Putney

You only see a very limited bit of it if you cycle through. The high street isn’t very nice, no question.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Chiswick is nice. Plenty of Cafe’s, restaurants and the like. It is very middle class, which depending on your outlook may be a good or a bad thing.

As far as work goes you can get into London pretty quickly, by bike or public transport.

Play? Mountain bike wise there is not a lot to recommend it other than the canal path and Richmond Park not being a million miles away, neither of which are all that great. If you drive, access to the M4 and out of London is straightforward.

If you want recommendations about a place it might be useful to be a little more descriptive about what your looking for. i.e. as far as work goes Chiswick has some local offices but is not great for trawler-men or shepherds. Likewise if shooting’s your sport then you might be better off in Shepherd Bush.

LHS
    Free Member

Chiswick is nice, we’ve got a place in Barnes the other side of the river. Lots of great pubs and restaurants and nice and quick into Waterloo.

Cougar

Dunno about Birds of a Feather, but Chiswick makes me think of

huws
    Free Member

+1 for Barnes. The least Londony bit of London.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yes why live somewhere pleasant when you can sneer from a nearby sh1thole.

Don’t get you knickers in a twist.

Personally I would not say Shepherds bush or Ealing are shithole, Acton dose have a shit high-street I will give you that. He asked what Chiswick is like, it is poncy, over priced and full of “yummy mummys”. If that is what you want that ok.

london_lady
    Free Member

If you can afford to live there then yes Chiswick is quite nice. Apparently the average price of a 3 bed house in W4 is over £770000.
    I would personally look a little further S / SW of Chiswick.

loddrik
    Free Member

Also, Acton is cheaper and has a wider selection of chicken shops.

😆

kimbers

we rented a flat in chisiwck for a few years
    nice place high street has some great cafes and restaraunts, pubs are a bit poncy but serve good beer (fullers brewery is in chiswick) and no chance of getting in a fight unless you are slapheaded geordie
    very close to M4 (can be at cwmcarn in 2hrs if im not worried about petrol) and pretty good rail and tube links too
    have just moved to brentford as we could actually afford to buy here, its certainly a bit rougher round the edges but only 5 mins on the bus from chiswick!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why not try Kew?

😀

ericemel
    Free Member

Answering the posters question. Chiswick is nice place to be, there are far more places worse than chiswick than better!

If you live and work in the same (nice) area you are on to a winner.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is Chiswick nice?’ is closed to new replies.