Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is bluetooth Electromagnetic?
  • DickBarton

Evening,

My insulin pump gave up the ghost this morning when I was trying to change the reservoir -motor kept failing and it finally reset itself.

When I called the Helpline they asked if I’d be in proximity of an Electromagnetic object i.e. MRI or X-Ray. I hadn’t but thought perhaps on Saturday the pump may have been close to my bluetooth HRM (which wasn’t connecting to my phone).

I’m not sure I understand what an electromagnetic source actual is and was wondering if this would be classed as one?

Cheers.

enveetee
    Free Member

Yes it is, however it is VERY low power (hence the short range)

I’m no expert
    If they are asking about X-Rays and stuff like that, they are talking higher power outputs – Induction Hobs, CRT (old school) TV sets, big HiFi speakers and so on

I wouldnt worry about BT unless you had it actually strapped to your pumpy thing

molgrips
    Free Member

All radio devices are electromagnetic, radio waves are just one part of the EM spectrum like light, microwaves, infra red etc etc.

MRI or X-Ray machines produce very large amounts of their own EM radiation, which would fry electronic things (by inducing big currents in bits of it that shouldn’t have big currents).

However as above, bluetooth radios produce tiny tiny amounts of power. That’s why you can leave it turned on on your phone for several days.

DickBarton

Ok, thanks…

Happy wiht that but also sad…I was about to try and line up a Garmin Edge 500 with HRM for a birthday/christmas gift!!!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I think they are saying (and I also think) bluetooth is fine. More electromagnetic radiation from the sun, your mobile, your microwave oven than from your bluetooth hrm.
    Ring them back and ask about bluetooth devices. They might not know about an hrm but phones and headsets should be familiar enough…

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry about BT unless you had it actually strapped to your pumpy thing

SNORF!

Cougar

Yes, you have, it’s called the sun.

Unless you’re in Scotland, in which case no.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is bluetooth Electromagnetic?’ is closed to new replies.