• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • ipad users…
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I guess most owners have had them a while now. What’s the verdict? I had a play with one in PC World yesterday & have to say I’m impressed. Browsing STW was a pleasure (fancy that!). I’d mainly be using it for slumped-on-the-sofa-browsing, reading comics with the Marvel & XComics apps, email and games (have had an ipod touch for a couple of years & love it as a games machine). Now, I do have a tasty Windows laptop so I wonder if the “ooh shiny” factor of the ipad might wear off after a while. Any thoughts?

Whatever happens, I’ll not be buying a v1.0 ipad…by all accounts it sounds like a 2.0 with camera & other upgrades will be available in Spring & that’d be the one I’d go for. Cheers!

iDave
    Free Member

I like the look of the new 7″ samsung android tablet but the price is retarded. they seem to be unaware that they haven’t a fanboi image to trade on.

GrahamS

Mates seem happy with theirs. I’ll probably buy a v2 if it has higher res display.

Jamie
    Free Member

they seem to be unaware that they haven’t a fanboi image to trade on.

God forbid Apple actually sell something at the market rate eh?

CHB

I will buy the V2 model if it has higher res display and works with flash.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you can afford one, get one. They are expensive but such a great browsing experience. I’m attempting to use mine to cut back on 95% of the paper i use at work. Interesting It has changed how I think about my iPhone; I’m not sure I’ll use it for much now apart from as a phone, and its limitations are more annoying now.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Captjon – yeah that’s kind of what I’m thinking…I’m in the market for a new phone & contract..tempted by an iphone4 as I love my ipod touch, but wondering if a basic phone + ipad would be a better option.

AdamW
    Free Member

Got an iPad soon after they went on sale (wifi one). To be honest I rarely turn on the laptop these days as most of the stuff I do is browsing, a few games, mail etc and the iPad does those well. I don’t use it for books as I have a Kindle which is nicer on the eyes and lighter. Great for picking up, checking something and putting down again.

I haven’t missed flash tbh as I hated it in the first place – the laptop fans would always kick in when flash ads were on the screen and I can’t be asked to play flash games.

I’m quite fond of Numbers for doing stuff like making up shopping lists etc. I have Pages but I doubt I’ll be doing a lot on that. Osmosis the game really good though, as if it were designed for something touch-wise.

One word of warning though – I bought it and my partner rolled his eyes up at another ‘waste of money’. Now I can’t get near the damned thing because he’s constantly on it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Any recommendations for apps Adam? Had mine a week and GoodReader is my favourite so far – really used for work.

AdamW
    Free Member

VLC is good but it may not be there for long. Angry Birds, Bento, Numbers, Cut the Rope HD, Geared, NASA app, Things (I use it on the Mac and it syncs which is useful), Google Earth is amazing with touch, Dropbox, Kindle, Epicurious (when you are thinking about what to make for tea), Pinball HD, Osmos, Sketchbook pro.

For a start.

I don’t store much music on my iPad as it is generally in the house. I do keep my copy of ‘Seasons’ film on it though when I want to pretend to be good at biking!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was hoping that the iPad was going to be a proper Mac in a little tablet form, but sadly it’s just a big iPhone. 🙁

Great tech; limited use other than as a toy….

Mattie_H
    Free Member

You really are getting bored with being off work and off the bike aren’t you Mark?!

AdamW
    Free Member

Then you’ll need one of these:
    Axiotron Modbook

I disagree though – using touch as an interface is a lot harder if you have to deal with a windowing environment, little tiny things to click and a different way of interacting. That’s why windows tablets with the insistence of Windows XP or 7 aren’t really selling. They are used by engineers in my company on the road but they hate them.

pedalhead
    Free Member

cheers guys. Matt, yes dead right. Give me a bit of time off and an internet connection & trouble is inevitable!

stuey
    Free Member

Tegra2 one from Dixons for £250 these are going to sell out – imho

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had a play with a couple of iPads, and yes it is very nice, but the price is just stupid. I’m sure that after xmas the market will be awash with Android powered copies for less than a couple of hundred quid.

DrJ

Bought mine because I am a brainless Apple fanboi, but I find it is really great for taking all my media needs around with me – books, including novels and software manuals, documents for work, music and videos, obviously, photos to show prospective victims (models). The battery lasts long enough for a transatlantic flight, so it is perfect for travel. The screen is fine for all my needs so far.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i was thinking the same mark

having sat next to a colleague with one on the way to africa this trip i was thinking – shit thats good

where as i was sat next to him with an aging asus eeepc with a 7 inch screen that ran out of battery 3 hours in …. so i got the works laptop out and that gave me another couple of hours.

if im continuing to travel as much as i am at the moment its on my list of things id like to make my traveling experiance more pleasurable ….. but as said above – its alot of money so i wont be rushing out …..

GrahamS

Battery life is good – but our little netbook gives around nine hours and I could take a spare battery, so it’s hardly unbeatable.

Where I think the iPad excels is form factor, interface and the fact that it is instant-on so always available to pick up and use.

Screen is definitely too low res for me though, now that I’m used to the luxury if the iPhone Retina screen. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Had ours about a week (£200 from Corporateperks 🙂 ) Full price is a bit crazy for what it is.
    Really bought it as a games machine for our son and it’s great for that.
    I’ve started exploring the browser capabilities and its pretty impressive. Its much easier to use on the loo than a laptop!
    Like elfin says, it is a big iPod rather than a small laptop, which I was a bit disappointed with.
    Does the v2 have a way to connect external drives other than via another computer connection?

DrJ

Luckily I haven’t got iPhone 4 to compare with, so I am happy 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

the samsung kicks the ipads ass on pretty much everything except the BoiBrand

More flexible, more functional, as stylish etc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-P1-Galaxy-Tab-Android-Tablet-Sim-Free-Unlocked-/120643401240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c16e83618

Gary_M
    Free Member

Love mine but why would you want one with a camera, they’ll be doing a phone version next 😉

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I have a Macbook and an iPod Touch and whilst the iPad is lovely I can’t really see the point of me getting one

I guess it depends what you already have

Might change my mind when V2 comes out

GrahamS

the samsung kicks the ipads ass on pretty much everything except the BoiBrand

?? costs more, smaller screen-res, less storage, less accessories.

This is not the droid you are looking for.

DrJ

?? costs more, smaller screen-res, less storage, less accessories.

Yes, but it’s not an Apple, so that will appeal to people who want to make a purchase that is based on functionality and not image.

Oh … hang on a mo’ 😕

iDave
    Free Member

Graham – usb, call capability, sd slot (ie flexible/more storage), smaller screen so smaller res is fine 😉 – less accessories? it’s only just been released, in time there will be comfy slippers for it. Cost is stupid though….

DrJ

Smaller tablets will be good for folk with very pointy fingers and very good eyesight, and also very big pockets to put their Dom Joly-size phones.

avdave2

I like a lot about it but I just don’t get the obsession in the whole industry with glossy screens on portable devices. When I chose a netbook the first requirement I had was that it had a matt screen. Glossy screens may look really good when you have control over the ambient lighting but when your travelling I find them a pain. I believe you can get stick on anti reflective screens for the Ipad but that’s just likely to look crap and I guess if your interested in one then the aesthetics are important to you.

Mark

The antiglare/matt screens for the iPad and the iPhone are excellent

brassneck

Got mine company issue 64Gb, 3G + Wifi..

It’s lovely and a lot more useful than I thought it would be, but I wouldn’t have spent that much on it – the 16Gb Wifi only would have done me if I were careful with music/photos. The lack of external media makes playing hooky films on it more difficult than I’d like. Workwise, it’s Citrix more or less all the way, though I have RDP/SSH clients and a vpn connection too.

The real compettitor for my money is the new Toshiba android – bigger screen, Wifi only (at the moment) but SD card and USB slot and £329 retail .. can’t wait to have a go, though I’m reliably informed Android doesn’t feel as slick as iOS.

Agree with Elfin though – I had rather hoped it’d be an OS X tablet. That would rock.

brassneck

Really bought it as a games machine for our son and it’s great for that.

iPad – £699
    Marble Madness from App Store. £1.29
    An afternoons peace from 3 children. Priceless 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Never really had a look at the iPad – normally too many spotty kids playing with them whenever I’m anywhere that has them…

… that said – it struck me that it should have been branded as the PronPad…

DrJ

though I’m reliably informed Android doesn’t feel as slick as iOS.

Maybe why Google don’t recommend using it until the next version, but apparently Samsung were so keen to get something out of the door that they didn’t wait.

pedalhead
    Free Member

That Toshiba Folio unit looks great, except it doesn’t have Android Market. I think Google didn’t approve it due to the screen size or something. Cripples it somewhat.

shoei
    Free Member

Got one a while back.
    Brilliant for the “instant on”
    Our laptop has become redundant now.
    Camera Connector Kit is great for importing pics and then there are a load of post-processing apps that work well, FilterStorm being one of the best.

Jerome
    Free Member

Happy punter here.
    Not much a technie and feel a gap as only have a work laptop.
    Currently living with my parenets to see if they can enter the internet age…
    Very impressed – App store, itunes, maps, etc etc
    Can only see it getting better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

CHB – Member

I will buy the V2 model if it has higher res display and works with flash. lolololololololol! 😆
    Given Steve Jobs is hellbent on NOT having anything to do with flash i wouldn’t hold your breath!

brassneck

That Toshiba Folio unit looks great, except it doesn’t have Android Market. I think Google didn’t approve it due to the screen size or something. Cripples it somewhat.

If that’s true, it really sucks 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s it like to type on?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘ipad users…’ is closed to new replies.