• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • iPad Pricing??
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Does anyone know how much the iPad will cost when it's launched in the UK next month?

aracer
    Free Member

Too much.

Unless you're a fanboi of course (which is likely if you're asking), in which case surprisingly little given how wonderfully designed it is.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Thanks, very useful.

Not a fanboi, just putting together a bid proposal to buy some for work.

allthepies
    Free Member

Dunno but as a shareholder in the company which designed the graphics processor in them then please buy shedloads 🙂

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/03/08/ipad-uk-price-leaked-by-play-com/

retro83
    Free Member

£700 … ?!

So, it's like a Macbook, but not as good and almost the same price.

freddyg
    Free Member

ipad? Don't be silly.

You don't want any of those, you need the epad!

Dougal
    Free Member

Have one on pre-order in the states. US price + VAT + UK shipping. HMRC have declared no import duty on them.

rs
    Free Member

£700 … ?!

So, it's like a Macbook, but not as good and almost the same price.

except the article linked above showed it starting at 499 but potentially lower.

ianpinder
    Free Member

dougal more info please?

retro83
    Free Member

except the article linked above showed it starting at 499 but potentially lower.

okay, fine. 🙄 £500. You could get one these instead http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0056402&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

SuperScale20
    Free Member

The base model starts at $499, the 3g 16gb model starts at $629 but is not available until end of April. Do you really want these for work not sure what you can do on them with such little memory.

DrJ

If that's your thing, you could get one of these:

CountZero

The whole point behind buying an iPad is that it's not a fracking netbook or laptop, particularly not a cruddy Windows one. I've got a laptop, and it's useless for doing the sort of things that the iPad is designed specifically to be good at. For those who think the iPad's expensive, the HP copy is reported to be more expensive, and won't be as good, because it won't have the App Store.

Dougal
    Free Member

ianpinder – I have a friend who is sending me one, but several companies such as bundlebox.com will order one for you and deal with the import hassles etc.

Here is the official statement they received from HMRC regarding the import duty: http://bundletech.com/blog/2010/03/no-import-duty-on-the-ipad/

Which? have a writeup on the total costs: http://gadgetynews.com/get-apple-ipad-in-uk-before-anyone-else-without-leaving-the-country/

Pricing is probably pretty close to what we'd pay anyway, but you get one early so you can have fun pulling it out in the train etc (for testing apps actually).

Also worth noting is that Apple honour the warranty on mobile devices worldwide. So should (when!) something goes wrong, it's not problem getting it sorted out locally.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

The ipad is duty free for import so you can just purchase yourself.

Spongebob
    Free Member

If you want a tablet PC, why not look at the alternatives. They'll be better specced, more easily supported and cheaper than Apple's "one application at a time" glossy overpriced tablet offering.

Apple Corporation's uber expensive products are predominantly for the fashion conscious. You really don't need them other than to make a personal statement about yourself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Apple Corporation's uber expensive products are predominantly for the fashion conscious. You really don't need them other than to make a personal statement about yourself.

PISH – but an argument for another thread.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Not taking the p1ss question follows

Why do you want an ipad and what are you going to do with it that a laptop wont?

retro83
    Free Member

and it's useless for doing the sort of things that the iPad is designed specifically to be good at.

Such as?

porterclough
    Free Member

I hereby predict that half the haters will have an ipad (or something very similar) within a year or two.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I find the iPad an interesting concept but I'm not sure what I'd actually use it for.

retro83
    Free Member

I hereby predict that half the haters will have an ipad (or something very similar) within a year or two.

I'm not a hater, I own a lot of Apple stuff. I just can't see anything which the iPad does, which other devices cannot already do better and cheaper.

It's an ebook reader with crap battery life, or its a movie player with a small screen, or it's an ipod touch except not portable, or a web browser except without flash and without a keyboard (and the same price as a macbook!)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Spongebob – do you have a link to some alternatives.

the-muffin-man

I'm a big Apple fan and have been using them for over twenty years (and yes I have an iPhone!), but I can't see the point of the iPad – apart from giving the makers of fancy covers an even bigger market!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was speaking to someone who know about these things, and he reckons ipads have a potentailly huge market amongst older people who didn't engage with the first wave of personal computing.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I think if it supports flash, regardless if its the best system websites still use it, and you can run multiple apps at the same time then it will sell well

kelvin

Tablet PCs are damn awkward to use. That's why the iPad is "less than" a Tablet PC. The reduction is deliberate, it's about creating an OS and software platform that's based around the Tablet format, rather than creating a PC that's had it's keyboard and mouse hacked off and an undersized screen added. Need a proper PC or Mac, buy one, don't buy an iPad, and definitely don't but a PC shoved into a tablet shape.

porterclough
    Free Member

ianpinder – if the ipad takes off, it will help kill off flash – which will be a good thing.

And why on earth would anyone want to run more than one app at a time? I can't do that on my PS3 and it's never seemed a limitation.

DrJ
    vrapan
    Free Member

I am probably buying an iPad but the arguments listed on the above listed blog are simply nonsense. Actually if I didn't know what I wanted an iPad for after reading the 10 points on that blog I'd never bother with one.

aracer
    Free Member

if the ipad takes off, it will help kill off flash – which will be a good thing.

That's about the only reason I think they're a good thing. As to the idea of them (or something very similar) being a big mass market seller – you're having a laugh aren't you? Unless of course by something very similar you mean something with a proper keyboard, a bigger screen and a better battery life – in which case I've already got one.

retro83
    Free Member

That's about the only reason I think they're a good thing.

well, I agree, but in the meantime sites do use flash and the iPad can't.

Still haven't heard any convincing use-cases for them…

epicyclo

It's a SuperNewton

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It's not for u geeks, it's for people like my mum who don't do computers or anything complicated.

What I like is it's pushing the tablet principle, so with windows 7 & the amount of companies making PC tablets it could be good all round.

I reckon sometime this year there will be a nice rugged tablet that will run CAD. At that point I will take the plunge and buy one (never had a laptop) and hopefully it'll be a nice easy to use product that will last me years. So in a way, thank you apple.

vrapan
    Free Member

ooOOoo has a very valid point. It took the iPod to get others to innovate on portable music players, it took the iPhone to push the smartphones past the RIM obsessed businessmen it will probably take an iPad to see tablets becoming actually useful. So all good.

porterclough
    Free Member

aracer – the point is that it isn't a laptop sans keyboard. It's a different thing.

Everyone has had an ipad in virtually every science fiction film and now its here – what's not to like 😉

Seriously though, if you can't imagine schools making use of them, or doctors having patient notes on them, architects showing clients plans on them, etc. then surely that's just because you can't imagine things not being just like they are now?

'Only' 16GB? So what, data lives elsewhere. Quite possibly the processing power lives elsewhere too and you need to think of the ipad as a client device.

Who needs a 'proper' computer anyway?

DrJ

in the meantime sites do use flash and the iPad can't.

Likewise the iPhone, but I don't personally recall that being a problem.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘iPad Pricing??’ is closed to new replies.