Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IOW Family Holiday – the Good and the Bad
  • fliptophead
    Free Member

We’re planning a UK 2 week camping holiday this summer with our nearly-2 son and 6 yr old daughter. We fancy the IOW but have never been, other than to Cowes. Could anyone help out with a bit of local knowledge? Whereabouts are the nice bits, how do the ‘resort’ areas compare? Most of the tourist sites unsurprisingly seem to give glowing accounts of everywhere.

Less crowded sandy beaches, a campsite with decent showers, and nice scenery are good.

Fat tourists wearing England footie shirts, seaside amusements, tat shops and a funfair aren’t especially high priorities.

I gather there’s loads of riding, although it will all be done with junior in the kiddie seat, so gentle bridleways/disused railway lines are perfect.

Thanks folks.

BTW if you know of elsewhere in the UK that might suit us as well or better, then please suggest away!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You can do everything and visit everywhere on the IOW in a week to 10 days. 2 weeks will give you loads of time to explore.

If you are planning this towards the end of August you could combine it with a weekend at the Big Bike Bash too!

http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s a lovely place to chill out, very old fashioned but I like that. Tbh we stay at the same old hotel as it has lovely gardens a warm outdoor pool good food and a games room for the kids.
    We stay at Shanklin near the Chine, but nowheres far away.
    As for footy wearing day trippers you don’t get many as the cost of the ferry is prohibative.

fliptophead
    Free Member

So nice old fashioned seaside then, sounds just the job. Thanks chaps.

Bez

Can recommend Ninham Holidays for the campsite. Not so much in the way of views, but a good location within reach of Sandown and Shanklin – just over the road from the airport (obviously not exactly Heathrow, there can’t be that many people in the world who’d be upset by the occasional Cessna). Good old fashioned field-with-shower-blocks stuff which means cheap fees and no beered-up teenagers. The folks who run it are friendly and keep the place tidy. There’s a cheeky ride through America Wood which will take you towards Wroxall and the donkey sanctuary; or head up through Apse Heath and left through the tomato greenhouses for a nice flat ride to Godshill. Cream teas and crab sandwiches are everywhere you go, the pubs are mostly very good (the Crown at Shorwell is my favourite – a fine fish pie). Ryde best avoided, Newport not all that exciting, but the rest of the island is great. Signposted rights of way all over the place. Only thing I would say is that a fortnight is probably too much. I’d be inclined to do a week or so on the island (perhaps half down by Sandown and Shanklin and half up by Totland, Alum Bay and Freshwater) and then get the ferry over to Lymington to the New Forest – where it’s all flat gravel roads and ideal for kids’ cycling, but the pubs can be hit and miss 🙂

beejam
    Free Member

Grange farm here: http://www.brighstonebay.fsnet.co.uk/ was a good quiet campsite that we went to for easter weekend. near brighstone. no frills just good for kids and right on the beach. riding in IOW is great, loads of really well signposted bridleways, especially in the south, would be fine for kids in tow.

fliptophead
    Free Member

Thanks for the words on Grange Farm beejam, we’d seen their website; delighted that it’s as advertised.

shoefiti
    Free Member

fish and chips at sunset on totland pier (fantastic – you can bring your own wine) fort victoria – ggod for the kids if they like trains, walk up tennyson downs great if sunny! good(ish) riding in Brighstone forest. Got to love Blackgand chine for the kids plus it’s free re-entry again within a week (bargain!!) loads to do and see! oh and the waxworks museum in Brading – really scary!

shoefiti
    Free Member

the bad – not too much, maybe boring if your a teenager thou. I love it and i’m in me 30’s

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IOW Family Holiday – the Good and the Bad’ is closed to new replies.