Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Insurance (again)
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So I’ve searched this topic and been through all the old threads, but for the life of me I cant find any of the deals that others are quoting. So far there seems to be recommendations of;
    Tesco- But their website quotes they only cover £1000 per bike http://www.tescobank.com/insurance/homeins/bicycle-cover.html

AA- But they only cover in outbuildings to £3000, that is not even the value of one bike in the (very secure)shed. http://www.theaa.com/insurance/home-insurance.jsp#tabview%3Dtab1

M&S- My current provider, but they have changed the policy this year that bikes over £1k need itemised, and their quote (both renewal and as a new customer) is hilariously high.

Am I missing something, how are folk reportedly getting great deals on any of the above when 2 of them won’t even cover bikes of a decent value? Any other recommendations. Sorry again for the repost but the previous suggestions are useless!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just stuck all my info in moneysupermarket including bikes and its come back with ludicrously low quotes.

im waiting for them to do the whole call me thing and ask why i havnt taken them up and will fire questions at them regarding bikes and garages.

bigjim

I gave up in the end, was just too expensive to insure, would have got myself a new bike in a few years with the cost.

Also when I spoke to the AA on the phone in detail about it, their payout was not new value of the bike but used value, this was last year though.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just did mine with M&S with one bike valued at £2500 and cover away from home and it has cost me £19 a month.

That’s with bike in the shed, with a ground anchor, but unspecified locks etc.

I guess it all depends on location and contents etc for example we rent so no need for building insurance.

I thought that was a great deal.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sorry, should have added. Money Supermarket and Compare The Market are both proving equally useless. You put in the bike details but it doesn’t seem to carry through to the insurers sites, I selected a number of their given quotes but on every occasion it clearly stated that bikes were not covered over a certain value (always less than the value of at least 2 of mine). It seems what was happening is that the bike input in the comparison sites is populating the valuables rather than bikes input on the insurers site, not much good when the insurers classify bikes separately.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I gave up in the end, was just too expensive to insure, would have got myself a new bike in a few years with the cost.

Also when I spoke to the AA on the phone in detail about it, their payout was not new value of the bike but used value, this was last year though.
    They are new for old now, and certainly were 5 years ago when I had to claim from them. But they are max of £3k in outbuildings so of little use to me when that doesn’t cover even one bike…..

Mosey- My M&S quote is coming in significantly higher than that, and waaaay more than my premium with them for the last 2 years (with no claims).

trail_rat
    Free Member

doug , have facebooked you. dont want those details on here.

but the top quote for me on the face and digging round their site covers me and is showing the bikes as specifed items in the final policy details . will make calls afterwork and update.

underwriter is axa.

hayes
    Free Member

Go chat to NFU

I’ve got my cycling, fishing, and kitesurfing equipment covered under a standard policy simply being in a locked shed
    The excess is tiny in comparison to other quotes for my kit, and other companies wouldn’t even cover my equipment that totals about 6000.

They cover all electronics as well for accidental, theft, water, both at home and away, even unspecified electrical goods and cash away from home

All claims from myself and parents through them have been excellently dealt with and minimal excess of circa 25-50 pounds depending on what got broken!

Edit – items over £1000 have to be listed on insurance, but no premium increase unless a ceiling limit is reached which as far as I remember is something stupidly high

tonyg2003

Just looking to renew with Direct Line. My M&S renew was a joke – into four figures for buildings and contents in a low crime area without ever claiming. Bikes all itemised.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Insurance (again)’ is closed to new replies.