• This topic has 80 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Instagram – why so difficult?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aces, cheers Luke and Grum!

thenorthwind

munrobiker – loving the scenic pees!

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find – munrobiker
    Followed Mainly of borders and sunsets 🙂
    Mine is mainly of borders and sunsets.

ceepers

I think its only failing is that its hard to post from it to forums but otherwise I like it a lot.

https://www.instagram.com/jory04/

Mainly Bikes and Surfing with some sunsets thrown in. Some photos were even originally taken on real film.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Instagram is about the last place to look if you appreciate photography. It’s primarily a show place for social media vacuousness but sadly it is the most popular channel currently and the one you will get the most visbility through.

There are thousands of great photographers on Instagram, both amateur and professional and every level in between. Yes there’s a lot of vacuous nonsense but as social media platforms go it’s probably one of the best in terms of being able to filter that out, or find a noise to signal ratio that is pleasing to your individual tastes. It’s what you make of it.

If all you are seeing is attention whores and rubbish then just unfollow those people or stop searching for that type of content.

geetee1972
    You’re almost certainly right. I really struggle to find decent work to follow on Instagram.

Try a google search like “Best (insert photography genre) photographers on Instagram” and go from there. As you start to follow one or two people, it’ll recommend more people to follow along similar lines and this is probably the most fruitful way of finding quality accounts to follow. You can use hashtag searches as well but I can’t comment to it’s usefulness.

grum
    Free Member

I find lots of great photographers but it is mostly of the incredible but slightly cheesy/over-Photoshopped travel/landscape variety.

colournoise

I only really use it to share images rather than another ‘full’ social media platform, but it’s handy for spending a few minutes looking at pictures from like-minded folks too.

https://www.instagram.com/rrrooobbbppp/

allan23
    Free Member

The Instagram UI is pretty awful, the Stroy stuff is incredibly irritating and they’ve spread it to Farcebook too. I do like the app for photo sharing though – stick mine under allan.93. Meant to link it with a blog eventually but never get round to it.

Followed a few photographers and get a pretty interesting feed most days. Just have to be careful of the aggregator types who pinch and post other people’s pictures. Some do credit the photographer, some don’t.

Find it easy to avoid the influencer types, had to block a few random spam accounts but not had much trouble even with a public profile.

convert

Marginally instagram curious but only to share albums of photos with people I know already..which I already do in Facebook….could probably do in a less public ‘shouty’ way with a cloud if I bothered to research it more.

I use pintrest a bit at work which is useful.

Choice is good but too much choice is a faff – there are so many ways to contact friends now. Even for a Voicecall I use landline, mobile, whatsapp, facebook messenger and skype and I’m meant to keep track of which method works best for every contact.

geetee1972
    Free Member

One point that hasn’t been mentioned is how it crops portrait composed 3×2 images. It doesn’t seem to do it for landscape, but does for portrait, which is really annoying.

Does anyone know how to avoid that?

STATO
    Free Member

One point that hasn’t been mentioned is how it crops portrait composed 3×2 images. It doesn’t seem to do it for landscape, but does for portrait, which is really annoying.

Because its ‘thing’ was that it does square format photos. You can zoom out but then your photo looks crap and even more tiny. Take photos landscape and you dont have that problem.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Take photos landscape and you dont have that problem.

I’ll just stick to using my Hasselblad then.

chakaping
    Free Member

And can I just add that for me it’s not about the quality of the pictures, it’s about the contents and the vibe (man).

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the outlet it’s giving Artists and Illustrators, often these folks get pushed into printed media but Insta has opened the world up for them. A couple of illustration friends of mine have picked up commissions and one is about to embark on a couple of books in a series, without Insta she would have been trawling the Publishing network..

Quiality of photos? Ok, so a lot of the content is mass filtered, selfie stylised, snappy iPhone stuff but that’s it’s exact marketplace… it enables blokes like me to snap something on the phone and upload it and # it.. I’m not bothered about absolute quality I’m more interested in conveying an image. If it’s quality you want then there are better places to visit.

What does make me laugh though is the random search function… if it’s based on who I follow and what I like then I can asssure you 21yr old girls pouting in gym slips isn’t anything like my taste.

There are some great custom motorbike builders who are on there too..

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m still not sure why people think that content and quality are different things.

yoshimi
    bonesetter
    Free Member

If it’s quality you want then there are better places to visit.

Where like?

Flickr?

muddyfunster
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    I’m still not sure why people think that content and quality are different things.

Because they are, unless you want to get into arguing semantics or engage in some kind of linguistic pedantry over definitions. Quality, which I take to mean image quality or image fidelity in this context, doesn’t directly imply any quality.

A photograph can be technically perfect in all regards but be completely lacking in merit, whether it’s artistic merit, journalistic merit, cultural, personal, emotional etc but a photograph need not be technically sound in any area in order to convey some form or artistic expression or to have value.

geetee1972
    I’ll just stick to using my Hasselblad then.

It’s sounds like you are far too good for Instagram and should probably avoid it.

DrJ

For landscape photos I have been following, amongst others, @stianmklo and @hansstrandofficial(*)

geetee type stuff – @womeninstreet @juicylucyham and @greatarsenal

My duff stuff is at @jezzah59

(*) largely shot on Hasselblad, BTW.

I often post using “instawhite” which avoids cropping nastiness and allows you to set a border.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No, this is how it is now (changed last year). If you dont use it enough the things IG decides you might like to see are now old. If you follow a lot of stuff it can get messy, but then its like twitter in that respect because once you follow to much its pointless wishing for more organised feed, as its too much to actually track unless you use it 24/7.

I remember the change, but thought there was a way of reverting (which I think I did). Seems that option is no longer there. Ah well.

For the record, this is me. Mainly bikes and sunsets.

geetee1972
    Free Member

A photograph can be technically perfect in all regards but be completely lacking in merit,

OK so I think we agree then; there’s no semantic debate to be had.

I care very little about about the technical merit, all the other merits you list are the ones that are important. The only time the technical execution becomes a factor is when it prevents any of those other merits from shining through.

My frsutration with Instagram is that I’ve not been able to find much in way of artistic, social docmentary/commentary, landscape or any other of the aesthetic merits you list. There is a lot of garbage on there.

beanum

Some I follow:

@aswisswithapulse, @cycleswissalps (Switzerland and Cycling)

@magnusbogucki (our wedding photog), @misssnowitall (ski pics), @manulanvin (French blues guitar guy)

My random shots are at @b34num

muddyfunster
    Free Member

geetee1972

My frsutration with Instagram is that I’ve not been able to find much in way of artistic, social docmentary/commentary, landscape or any other of the aesthetic merits you list.

Sebastio Salgado, Cory Richards, Steve mcCurry, Nathan Hughes, Lee Trumpmore, Matthew DeLorme, Paris Gore, Laurence Crossman-Emms, Boris Beyer, Duncan Philpott, Rupert Fowler, Sam Needham, Dan Milner, Sterling Lorence, Mattias Fredrikson, Dave Trumpmore, Gary Perkin, Sven Martin, Alex Brunst and Lee Jeffries are just a few of the photographers I follow on Instagram.

Obviously there is a heavy leaning there towards MTB photographers but across those guys there is a fairly heavy flow of stunning and inspiring imagery. It might be a bit light on hard hitting social commentary or photo journalism, but that’s not what I want in my news feed; I want images that might inspire me to go out on the bike and take my camera with me.

There will obviously be fine art photographers and pro photographers in various disciplines who will shun the platform because it doesn’t pay them to share their work that way but that in itself doesn’t negate the platform.

As an aside I follow many more illustrators than I do photographers and there are genuinely some of the best illustrators in the world on IG and their content is incredible.

There is a lot of garbage on there.

Well it’s open to everyone. Across all the internet forums and social media platforms there won’t be many great pieces of literature posted, despite millions of words being posted daily. Same for pictures.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Twitters straightforward as long as you understand the meaning of @ and #.

grum
    Free Member

I’m being followed by Kurdish Peshmarga Special Forces!

Could never get into twitter. I have around 1000 followers but I very rarely post.

Kbrembo
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

Check you with your nearly 3000 followers! One more now – good stuff.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

grum – Member

Like being rich in Monopoly

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And another. I like more than a bandwagon. 😉

(On a more serious note – some lovely stuff there)

grum
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure for each Instagram follower your account has you receive a bar of gold bullion. It’s a new thing they’re rolling out.

breadcrumb

Nobeer- I’ve re-added you, I did wonder what happened to ringoffire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

bonesetter
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zj11gf9Qk[/video]

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Another worthy photographer I discovered recently.

https://www.instagram.com/josh.jordan.official/?hl=en

geetee1972
    Free Member

Another worthy photographer I discovered recently.

Well that’s a bit of an odd coincidence. I just clicked on your link and in opening my Instagram feed, I see that the very same person, Josh Jordan, has just faved one of my pictures, literally about the same time you posted that link.

You’re not he are you?

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve met some great people & got some brilliant sponsorship via instagram & twitter.
    3606 posts and counting on IG.. https://www.instagram.com/rocketdoguk
    28k tweets on Twitter @_rocketdog_

wallop

Ah yes – I remember when you blocked me on twitter 😆

mahalo

im sure, but i may be wrong, that back in the day instagram wasnt a social media vehicle, but more just an app you could you use to create interesting photographs with? thats what i use it for anyway, and thats why my account is private. i have a few followers who are all bike people who i know will appreciate the content, i dont want debbie on facebook who cant believe its monday again posting pics of her dinner…

i also hate being obliterated by pics of other peoples hobbies on fb too so dont want to be another person doing that either! instabang is where its at!

No idea what them little story things are at the top of the screen tho!??

bob_summers

GT, I get around that by opening the photo with Instashot, putting it in a square background then sharing it to IG. It makes the photo smaller in the app of course, but as my stuff is usually badly developed, hastily scanned 35mm, it hardly matters. For example:

Worth a follow, depending on what you like, would be Martin Parr, Magnum, Joel Meyerowitz, Jason Lee (yes, the guy from My Name is Earl!), Ren Hang, Photo Filmy, which has some interesting guest curators, Frenchfred (aka Fred Mortagne), Chris Steele Perkins, Bruce Gilden, Ryan McGinley..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

thats what i use it for anyway, and thats why my account is private

If someone follows me, and I look at their account and it’s private, I move on, what’s the point of having it private, it’s an open photography platform?.

If you want private photo’s for friends/family/doggers then facebook is what you seek.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Instagram – why so difficult?’ is closed to new replies.