Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Insisting on 2x
  • whitestone
    Free Member

New versions of both Horsethief and Spearfish are out, I think they are 1x only but the old frames will take 2x.

IdleJon

I’m not sure about you but I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference between 2.73 & 2.77 which on a 29er are 79.17 and 80.33 gear inches so really there’s one extra gear at the top end.

Is my maths dodgy or have you missed out the top end 36T ring of 94.8”?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that proves that a “simple” choose the next largest gear, well, isn’t simple and you’d be hard pushed to remember all that just to get to a gear that is a couple of percent harder/easier than the one you are in.

I’ve spent 25 years riding with 2x and 3x, I have got the hang of it by now.

I dunno where you get 11-36 from, Shimano MTB 11sp cassettes are 40, 42 or 46 I think.

whitestone
    Free Member

@idlejohn -I wasn’t comparing the two top ratios but the top of the 1×11 with the next to top of the 2×10 which is very close. The top ratio of the 2×10 is, as you say, 94.8 It’s still only one extra ratio though.

@molgrips
    – 2×10 not 11. So you do five shifts just to move up by a couple of % difference? What I’m saying is that you aren’t moving to the real next harder/easier gear but the one which is convenient, i.e. changing the front ring and one shift at the rear isn’t moving to the next gear so saying that 1x has big jumps (which it may have) is irrelevant because you aren’t making small jumps with which to compare.

IdleJon

@idlejohn -I wasn’t comparing the two top ratios but the top of the 1×11 with the next to top of the 2×10 which is very close. The top ratio of the 2×10 is, as you say, 94.8 It’s still only one extra ratio though.

Why would you compare the small chainring/small cog ratio on a 2x when nobody uses that combination?

whitestone
    Free Member

I wasn’t comparing the 22/11 with anything. I compared the 22/36 and the 30/42 at one end and the 30/11 and both the 36/13 and 36/11 at the other end. I noted the 22/11 as part of the overall sequence because if I hadn’t some bright* spark would say I hadn’t covered the entire set of combinations!

I wrote:

At the top end on the 1x 30/11 gives a ratio of 2.73, the 2x has ratios of 2.77 and 3.27 better than that.

At the bottom end the 1x has 30/42 = 0.71 whereas the 2x has 0.69 and 0.61 lower.

* with the light turned off 😒

squirrelking
    Free Member

Other advantages of 2x –

9 speed cassettes are half the price of 11 speed for the same range. That 46t ring must be made from unicorn horn.
    more weight, yes, but lowers centre of gravity.
    weighs less than a dropper.

Disadvantages – death throes were a shotgun approach to standards. My Pitch is supposedly a shimano E2 mount but the holes are clearly for a Sram S1 mount. Direct mount being in name only as you need an adaptor for anything else.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Lowers the CoG ? Is that even measurable ? If you add weight you probably negate more than the benefits of the lower CoG, but not sure tbh.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Insisting on 2x’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM