Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Influenza injection blues
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hi, this is for the older folk.

I don’t mind injections. I worked in forn parts a lot, so I’ve had plenty, without problems or complaints. If one leaves out Yellow Fever.

About a month ago I had an influenza injection. And for about a month my left arm hurts if I try to move it above the horizontal. I didn’t relate the two until chatting with a relly who had the same. And then I recalled a similar but briefer arm problem last year.

Now I know correlation doesn’t prove causation, but has anyone else experienced this?

And does the injection go into the lifty-uppy muscle?

Kit
    Free Member

I’m not an older folk, but qualify for the flu jab. It usually leaves me with a stiff shoulder/upper arm for a day or two, but not much longer than that.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

They stick it into the lifty uppy muscle. It gives me a dead arm for a week or so. Hate it.

daftvader
    Free Member

Didn’t get the dead arm, but it totally wiped me out for a week… Could just about make it out of bed at a push. Bloody awful stuff, haven’t had it since and only had proper flu once in 38 years!

martinhutch

Thought it was alright this year. No arm pain, about 12 hours of feeling slightly rough and tired.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks all, this year’s trouble is so much worse than last year’s. I’ll have a tricky decision to make next year.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Not old, but we get it at work.
    Never had any arm pain with it, this year or any other. Did feel pretty rough for a week or so after this years, whether it was related to the jab or just coincidence I’m not sure.

Drac

Didn’t get the dead arm, but it totally wiped me out for a week… Could just about make it out of bed at a push

It’s inactive so it won’t have been that.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Doesn’t the injection start up the immune system? Which may vary between individuals?

Drac

Yes and it can cause a bit of a fever and some aches but being ‘wiped out’ for a week I’d day not. Of course some people’s version of being wiped out varies to others.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If it’s bad you could get a couple of mates to roll you about in a bathtub?

Kryton57

I’m not an older folk, but qualify for the flu jab. It usually leaves me with a stiff shoulder/upper arm for a day or two, but not much longer than that.

+1

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^

😯 Why would he want to watch his mates roll in a bathtub!?

daftvader
    Free Member

Drac I’ve always been a sensitive little flower amd up to the point of having the jab (was the double one with the swine flu too) i was absolutely fine then totally lethargic to the point of sleeping almost 18 hrs a day. I agree it could have been something else but the Doc reckoned a probable reaction to one of the jabs. I’m even worse with any type of anaesthetic.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

DV – there’s always somebody on the far right of the bell-shaped curve.

This year’s reaction is way worse than last year’s. If next year’s continues the trend, I won’t be able to ride a bike or drive a car for a month. I’ll bet the bathtub option only works downhill. HTF do I get back up to home with the shopping?

allan23
    Free Member

Daftvader, I’d hope an anaaestetic would make you lethargic to the point of sleeping 🙂

Get the flu jab every year now, never had any reactions or problems other than a sore arm for a day or two, this year’s did seem a little worse for being sore. Perhaps it’s the strains included or maybe we should all put on tinfoil hats and pop over to the chemtrails thread.

daftvader
    Free Member

Even local anaesthetic kicks me in the arse(and I usually only get it in the Wrist!) I’ve just finished making my tinfoil hat and gloves… Can I join in?

allan23
    Free Member

Sure, the tinfoil helps prevents people from believing that SPDs are better than flats too so it’s all good.

shermer75
    Free Member

Had the flu jab the last two years, zero side effects

CountZero

My achy lifty-uppy muscle lasted a bit longer this year, and I’m wondering if the actual jab is a more effective one; wasn’t there a big fuss about last year’s not being very effective, they got the strain wrong or something?
    From the Beeb:

Last year it became clear in the Australian winter that there had been mutations in the anticipated strains of the virus, but it was too late to adapt the vaccine before the Northern Hemisphere winter. It worked for just 3% of people who had the jab and were exposed to the virus.
    Usually the vaccine is 50% effective.
    Deaths from all causes were up by about one-third in the first three weeks of this year in England and Wales. Health experts say flu and the ineffectiveness of the vaccine were probably factors.
    Early indications from Australia this year are not encouraging. Flu cases so far in their winter are running well above average in some areas, though it’s not clear whether this is linked to the effectiveness of the vaccine.
    The Department of Health wants to ensure that the elderly and other vulnerable groups are not deterred from having their jabs this autumn.

daftvader
    Free Member

oh i guess i’ll be ok then allan23 as i prefer spd’s to flats 😆

DrP

It’s inactive so it won’t have been that.

Hush with your provable facts you…

DrP

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Is the flu jab worth having if you’re not in the at risk group?
    I’ve had flu once in my life.

Does it work so that you’ll be more resistant to getting it in (old age) years to come?

Kryton57

Does it work so that you’ll be more resistant to getting it

Well, thats kind of the point of it… but it only lasts a year. Having one now at the age of 40 and no others won’t doing anything for you when you’re 60.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

My Doc was very keen that I have it. That’s fine, I should benefit and I guess the herd immunity thingy should reduce its spread through the population. As of now, I shan’t have another next year.

allan23
    Free Member

Depends what your risk factor is.

I’d rather have a little discomfort from a flu jab than burden an A&E department due to catching flu, not eating, throwing up etc and then having to get sorted all the associated knock on effects of out of control diabetes.

DrP

Plus for every 1000th flu jab a GP gives, one Daily Mail writer loses a finger…

DrP

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ll just put this here, to eastablish my credentials…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/12043515/Anti-vaccination-school-hit-by-chickenpox-epidemic.html

… then I’ll add that it’s more than a little discomfort. Further, that a worst case has to include not driving or riding my bike, with the resultant loss of fitness and interest at the start of the winter. The fitness seems to me to be important, post AF and a TIA, and is both slow and difficult to regain.

allan23
    Free Member

Plus for every 1000th flu jab a GP gives, one Daily Mail writer loses a finger…

DrP

Where do I sign up for my 1000 next year? 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m terrified of having the Flu Jab after having Guillain Barre Syndrome, even though the sensible part of me says that there is 0 risk of a recurrence being caused by the jab.

allan23
    Free Member

… then I’ll add that it’s more than a little discomfort. Further, that a worst case has to include not driving or riding my bike, with the resultant loss of fitness and interest at the start of the winter. The fitness seems to me to be important, post AF and a TIA, and is both slow and difficult to regain.

As I said, depends on why your GP thinks you’re in a risk category. Catching flu after AF and TIA might be more serious than the side effects of the jab.

Not an anti-vaxer either, the only thing I’ve given up taking is statins and only under supervision of the GP practice.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

DrP – only a finger, not tempted, but if it were a nipple torn out with pliers I’d have a shot in each arm and go back again the next week.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Influenza injection blues’ is closed to new replies.