Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 261 total)
  • Ineos Grenadier gives cyclists a Toot
  • csb

The Spanish/French ride we did had a few tooters, and you can tell from the length of toot that it’s a friendly one not an angry one. Useful on bendy mountains.

franksinatra

the hp inkjet printer over on the right hand side

I can’t un-see that now!

sharkattack

You didn’t even post the craziest picture.
    null

Look at all those buttons on the roof!

fazzini

Awful looking, in an interesting way, but if those roof panels also mean ejector seats then I’m all in 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

A pretend airplane for fat business cows and golfists to pretend to be fighter pilots…

I do miss Saab.

I don’t know why but looking at that reminds me of my dad’s old Morris Marina.

<Jilly Goulden Voice>I’m getting hints of 1980s Amstrad stereo units, a whiff of a mid 2010s Ipod docking station and subtle overtones of Mercedes G-wagens.

ads678

Thing with that interior is, very much like the new defender, it just looks cheap.

I’ll give you different, and that to some will be good, personally I think it’s bloody awful, but it does just look cheap and tacky.

bridges
    Free Member

That centre panel is clearly supposed to give off military aircraft vibes…Christ that’s so blatant, it’s pathetic. A pretend airplane for fat business cows and golfists to pretend to be fighter pilots so they can get a hard on for a **** car.

Spot on, actually. That really is what it is. An affirmation-mobile for insecurity and inadequacy. Unsurprising then, that it’ll appeal to quite a few on this forum then…

Toot! If you’re Gammon

antigee

GIT…button as in Get In The gutter

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But you shouldn’t be passing a bit closer than you normally would.

I think we can all probably accept that sometimes <1.5m is still perfectly safe.

If you stopped on a country lane and jumped into the hedge they’d still be within 1.5m 🤣

Or I might be misunderstanding the earlier post and “normally would” is the full four wheels in the other lane textbook overtake, and “closer” is the 1.5m minimum.

Seems a good idea, the motoring equivalent of ringing your bell for walkers, who I definitely don’t give a 1.5m clearance to! On an averagely busy A-road, you can’t hear cars behind you over the wind and other traffic noises so a little toot/bell before they come past would be quite welcome.

tjagain

On an averagely busy A-road, you can’t hear cars behind you over the wind and other traffic noises so a little toot/bell before they come past would be quite welcome.

Not to me its not. to me its a “get out of my way pleb” signal and I know exactly where every car is around me without anyone using a horn

Using the horn behind every cyclist is not in accordance with the highway code IMO and is dangerous ( scares folk and they wobble) and frankly unpleasant ( hurts my ears)

Anyone who toots their horn behind my is a nasty barsteward

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ugly looking vehicle. Looks to me like Dutton version of a Defender.

tjagain

I think we can all probably accept that sometimes <1.5m is still perfectly safe.

Nope – anything less than 1.5 m is automatically dangerous. Thats why its the minimum safe passing width

franksinatra

Switches on the roof.

I’m in.

nickc

Seems a good idea, the motoring equivalent of ringing your bell for walkers

But with just a moments consideration and thought, you can tell it’s not going to be used for that…A big red button with a bicycle on it in a car interior that’s been designed to look like a military jet or helicopter…C’mon.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have they got it placed in the next Bond film?

Those overhead controls would be awesome for launching heat-seeking missiles or deploying smokescreens etc.

johnnystorm

Are there two horns? A full fat one for attracting the attentions of motorists and a friendlier toot one for attracting the attention of cyclists/pedestrians?

Garmin’s radar doofer seems popular for riders wanting a heads up that a vehicle is approaching and this would seem to have a similar function.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not to me its not. to me its a “get out of my way pleb” signal and I know exactly where every car is around me without anyone using a horn

Using the horn behind every cyclist is not in accordance with the highway code IMO and is dangerous ( scares folk and they wobble) and frankly unpleasant ( hurts my ears)

Anyone who toots their horn behind my is a nasty barsteward

If only there was a “toot” button rather than a “nasty barsteward horn”.

Nope – anything less than 1.5 m is automatically dangerous. Thats why its the minimum safe passing width

Flying past at 60 on an A-road, yes, and still terifying.

Queenie (or more likely the groundskeepers or polo horse lorries) coming past at 15mph on the narrow estate roads in Windsor Park, not in the slightest bit scary or “close” feeling.

and I know exactly where every car is around me without anyone using a horn

Yes, but you’re a ninja. The rest of us with more average spatial awareness still sometimes even get surprised by a HGV overtaking if it’s a windy day or busy road.

martinhutch

How many road rage incidents will be triggered by inadvertently ‘tooting’ when all you wanted to do was turn up your favourite Coldplay track?

tjagain

You need to concentrate more and work on your awareness tinas if you are being surprised by HGVs passing. I look behind me every 20 – 30 seconds

bedmaker

On the continent used quite alot when I’ve been out on my bike.

I have ridden my bike on the mainland a fair bit and never been “tooted~” at and i am very unsure of the legality of tooting at cyclists

A pass at low speed, when both driver and rider are alert, can be way less than 1.5M and also safe.
    Riding twisty narrow roads in the Spanish mountains, expect to be close passed all the time, with a toot, not an aggressive blast. It’s normal.
    In the UK, maybe not so much…
    Different mentality towards bikes in general though innit.

retro83
    Free Member

That centre panel is clearly supposed to give off military aircraft vibes…Christ that’s so blatant, it’s pathetic. A pretend airplane for fat business cows and golfists to pretend to be fighter pilots so they can get a hard on for a **** car.

Spot on, actually. That really is what it is. An affirmation-mobile for insecurity and inadequacy. Unsurprising then, that it’ll appeal to quite a few on this forum then…

Toot! If you’re Gammon

**** me, what a couple of fun sponges.

tjagain

A pass at low speed, when both driver and rider are alert, can be way less than 1.5M and also safe.

Nope – its never safe Hit a pothole and wobble when a car is passing you need that i.5 metres. Its a buffer for unexpected events

Riding twisty narrow roads in the Spanish mountains, expect to be close passed all the time,

never been close passed in a lot of european riding – but then I ride assertively, claim my space on the road and I control when someone passes on narrow twisty roads

crazy-legs

Riding twisty narrow roads in the Spanish mountains, expect to be close passed all the time,

Nope – the vast majority of drivers I’ve ever met while riding in Spain (and France) have been super courteous. Way more polite and considerate than all but the absolute best of British drivers.

Partly, they just know how to drive around cyclists. Partly, the laws there are actually enforced and cyclists are (a) better protected under law and (b) not seen as some sort of sub-human scum. The roads are far better too.

ransos
    Free Member

I have ridden my bike on the mainland a fair bit and never been “tooted~” at and i am very unsure of the legality of tooting at cyclists

Seriously? It’s pretty common in France IME – a quick pip on the horn from drivers approaching from behind. Once I mentally adjust to not thinking that they’re being aggressive, I think it works quite well.

nickc

**** me, what a couple of fun sponges.

What reason then to design your car to look like a military plane’s cockpit, other to appeal to section of men, who don’t, quite frankly, need any more encouragement to drive like entitled bell-ends, but now sub-consciously will, because they’re having Tom Clancy fantasies.

If they want to pretend to be a rescue helo pilot on a dangerous mission to land on a carrier in the middle of the Atlantic, there’s always the X-box. Rather than the unlit  B783668 which I might have to unfortunately share with them

mattbee

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>This more your thing then NickC?

</span>

retro83
    Free Member

nickc

What reason then to design your car to look like a military plane’s cockpit, other to appeal to section of men, who don’t, quite frankly, need any more encouragement to drive like entitled bell-ends, but now sub-consciously will, because they’re having Tom Clancy fantasies.

If they want to pretend to be a rescue helo pilot on a dangerous mission to land on a carrier in the middle of the Atlantic, there’s always the X-box. Rather than the unlit B783668 which I might have to unfortunately share with them

Doubled down on it as well, nice.

Lemon sucking fun sponge.

IdleJon

Are there two horns? A full fat one for attracting the attentions of motorists and a friendlier toot one for attracting the attention of cyclists/pedestrians?

What if the toot button is the same horn that TdF vehicles use – that weird multi-toned klaxon thing?

Or maybe it just blasts out Tour de France by Kraftwerk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I look behind me every 20 – 30 seconds

At 60mph that’s still half a mile.

You need to concentrate more and work on your awareness tinas

And I find this hard to reconcile with your dislike/inability to ride in groups on the road because you don’t like other riders in close proximity.

Also the fact that calling out “car back” is a thing in groups suggests I’m not the only one in the world that can’t hear a vehicle a long way back over the noise of the wind/bikes.

tthew

Oh dear, I gave some cyclists a little warning toot on a road they may not have expected cars to frequent when I was going through the peak district last weekend.

I gave them a toot toot and of encouragement as they were labouring away uphill once I’d safely passed too. I must be a complete arse.

danposs86

Maybe it is a very friendly little toot?

They seem quite cycle friendly?
    https://ineosgrenadier.com/en-gb/explore/ineos-grenadier-partners

tjagain

And I find this hard to reconcile with your dislike/inability to ride in groups on the road because you don’t like other riders in close proximity.

Its a part of the same thing. the only person that is responsible for my safety is me. never rely on anyone else.

I don’t expect to hear them. I look behind every 20 – 30 seconds and at every obstacle like junctions, parked cars etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What if the toot button is the same horn that TdF vehicles use – that weird multi-toned klaxon thing?

FIAMM manufacture them, unfortunately, they don’t pass the MOT

https://www.hornwarehouse.com/tourhorns/Tour-horn-12v

Nope – its never safe Hit a pothole and wobble when a car is passing you need that i.5 metres. Its a buffer for unexpected events

The other issue with your black and white worldview is most road* lanes aren’t 3m wide (IIRC the ‘standard’ for a white line dividing the center is 2.4m in each direction but I can’t find a reference for that). So if you’re adopting a primary position then there aren’t 1.5m of clearance to the other lane on most UK roads unless the cyclist moves into the gutter.

*of the types you’d actually want to ride on, excluding modern, fast, purpose-built A-roads.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I do hope the toot button sounds like noddy or post man pat’s horn.

FIAMM manufacture them, unfortunately, they don’t pass the MOT

I don’t suppose it’s a problem if its separate from the horn though.

fasthaggis

I look behind every 20 – 30 seconds and at every obstacle like junctions, parked cars etc.

You must have the most supple of necks, almost owl like.😉😊🦉
    Me, I would be getting a bar mirror and save on all that swivel action.

edhornby

No person on a bike would fail to realise that there’s a massive brick of a vehicle behind them – therefore this is not helpful to the average bike rider, I bet not one single person at Ineos has actually though to ask someone like ChrisBoardman or Will Norman if this is a good idea or not

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its got a handbrake. How quaint

scotroutes

No person on a bike would fail to realise that there’s a massive brick of a vehicle behind them

And yet I regularly see cyclists pull out into traffic with not the slightest glance behind them.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

They posted their first profit recently of $700m. well done….but it was off the back of $35 BILLION of revenues. Ah, not quite so good then. Must try harder Mr Musk

Now why on earth would they be wanting to make a profit ? You have to pay taxes on them, don’t you know….. Grrr

Better to have massive reinvestment and make your money off of the share price increase … also see Amazon !!

sharkattack

There’s so much rambling, impotent hostility in this thread.

If I don’t know better I’d say some people didn’t approve of a 50 grand, 2.5 tonne, fossil fuel powered, 4×4 which will doubtless be piloted* by aggro man children.

Let and let live dudes.

*deliberate use of the word pilot

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 261 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.