• This topic has 250 replies, 110 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jca.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)
  • In praise of the toasted sandwich
  • IHN

What with the current working from home, and the encoldening of the days, the old toastie maker is seeing some action.

Currently enjoying cheddar with chilli, and a smear of mango chutney. Gis ya recipes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mature chedder and salsa.

The cheapest, fattiest, sliced chopped pork. Makes the worlds best toasties.

Cheese and haggis.

dethbeard
    Free Member

banana and nutella

honeybadgerx

Cheese, corned beef and white onion.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Wensleydale cheese and onion. Nice and simple.

Murray

Cheese, tomato and red onion slices. Lots of butter on both sides of the bread of course.

IHN

Baked bean and cheese

Cheese, onion and brinjal pickle

the-muffin-man

Toasted sandwiches are great!

The faff of cleaning the sandwich maker after outweighs the greatness though! 🙂

binners

Could I introduce you to our latest culinary discovery….

One of those things that you laugh mockingly at and snort with derision at what a ridiculous idea it is….

Right up until the point when you try them. They toast the bread and sort of half-melt the cheese so it doesn’t reach the molten lava stage of the heating process. And none of the mess. You just run them under the tap afterwards

They’re ace. Seriously.. they’re literally a couple of quid. Give them a go

perchypanther
    Free Member

Love a toastabag. Pain in the arse to clean if you overcook it though.

Turning them inside out without tearing them is an art form.

kayak23

Marmite and mature cheddar.
    It’s the bomb 👌

binners

Oh.. and @honeybadgerx is on the money about the best toastie

Drac

IHN

I’m not getting the mess thing TBH, half the time the (non-stick) plates in our toastie maker barely need a wipe, never mind a wash.

ta11pau1

Don’t forget to butter the outside, keeps it nice and crispy and golden brown. Makes even more of a mess though!!

IHN

And I’m not a fan of buttering the outside, cos then you’ve essentially got a fried bread sandwich, not a toasted sandwich.

Different strokes for different folks though.

ta11pau1

No, I’m a convert to buttering.

And in perfect timing:

Simple cheese, tomato and ham for me. The tomato is always hotter than the surface of the sun, though!

binners

How does everyone feel about the Heinz tomato soup accompaniment for dunking?

The lunch of champions!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Naturally.

Sometimes Oxtail.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, soup is a fine accompaniment.

Cheap Tefal non stick frying pan for toasties, nae mess.

Haggis cheese and chorizo. Oaft.

dovebiker

Add some peanut butter to that banana and Nutella – after ride recovery food!

colonelwax
    Free Member

Cheese and samosa is very nice.

Cold leftover burger cut in half horizontally, with cheese and tomato sauce was alright.

Cheese, srichacha and peanut butter is nice too.

2tyred

Cheese, srichacha and peanut butter is nice too

I’m strongly in favour of all those individual constituent parts, but sceptical if they’ll work alongside one another. It’s lunchtime now so I’m going to go and try it in the name of research.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Lived off them since working from home started, red onion relish, flavoured chicken and cheese. Every single day, the George is getting more use than ever before. Never thought I’d miss the work canteen so much. Agreed that it only needs a quick wipe, very little fuss.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had posh brie with ham, black pepper and sun dried toms yesterday, dipped in a bowl of tomato and basil soup.

My kind of soup and a sandwich.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheese, srichacha and peanut butter is nice too.

May I suggest a pregnancy test might be in order?

hooli

Cheese, tomato, salad cream and black pepper. Food of the gods.

Tracey

We have a Breville one bought as a wedding present in 1990 and its been used weekly since. It takes up to 8 slices of bread and seals the edges to the toasties.
    Bread is always buttered on the outside and my best filling has to be red Leicester cheese, chunks of corned beef and Branston pickle.
    Still the go to snack after a wet, cold, windy day out in the hills

thenorthwind

Cast iron grill pan for toasties. Everything tastes better with lines burnt into it, and it’s compatible with your oddly-shaped hipster bread.

FuzzyWuzzy

And I’m not a fan of buttering the outside, cos then you’ve essentially got a fried bread sandwich, not a toasted sandwich

Eh? Only if you use a ridiculous amount of butter, otherwise it just helps crisp the outside a bit more.

djambo
    Free Member

Current favourite is the cheese (mature cheddar), baked bean (just a few, don’t overload it) and tobasco.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheese, srichacha and peanut butter

That is tickling my tastebuds!

IHN

Cheese, srichacha and peanut butter is nice too

I agree with…

I’m strongly in favour of all those individual constituent parts, but sceptical if they’ll work alongside one another. It’s lunchtime now so I’m going to go and try it in the name of research.

That’s tomorrow’s lunch sorted

colonelwax
    Free Member

Pressure’s on, but try the cheese, srichacha and peanut butter combo and thank me later

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve discovered that mayo works really well on the outside. Easier to spread than butter and adds a bit of a tang. On the inside, pulled pork and BBQ sauce with a bit of cheese for me today.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Cheddar

Harissa

German Sausage

DONE!

Drac

You can **** right off with that vial stuff.

eskay

Brie and chorizo chunks (we use a George Foreman grill – just wipe off if there is any seepage)

karnali
    Free Member

heat toastie machine first and a small bit of butter spread onto the cooking plates in the machine works well.

toastie machine good for cooking home made waffles as well, buttering the machine as above first

sliced mars bar goes well as a sweet option

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

vial stuff

That the Big Pharma version?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘In praise of the toasted sandwich’ is closed to new replies.