Home Forums Chat Forum In praise of.. the easy hot lunch

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • In praise of.. the easy hot lunch
  • feed

To kick us off, I’m currently enjoying Indian Bean Surprise – one tin of baked beans, tablespoon-ish of curry powder, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, mix it all in a bowl, microwave until hot, done.

Ha, Once fried up some mince and chucked in a tin of baked beans and some Worchester sauce, served with rice. Knowing my wife would turn up her nose if she knew how rudimentary the preparation was I called it “African bean stew” and claimed it was a family recipe (we’re not African or of African descent). She thoroughly enjoyed it :)

corroded
    Free Member

Today, Span-ish omelette: leftover potatoes, three eggs from our hens, green pepper, grated cheese. One pan, 5 minutes.
    Going to try shakshuka tomorrow. Currently eating at least 15 eggs a week, should probably get my cholesterol checked.

feed

Span-ish omelette

Brilliant hyphenation :)

ElShalimo

Today’s lunch –  Throw wrap in toaster, add hummus, falafel, cherry tomatoes and cucumber

Takes about 2 mins, garlic breath for 6hrs. Result.

northernmatt

Fish Finger Sandwich with loads of butter on extra thick white bread. All of it purchased from a supermarket, we’ll have none of this artisan nonsense in Sunderland.

Fish Fingers can be substituted for Fishless Fingers for vegans if you’re into that sort of thing.

fazzini

add hummus, falafel, cherry tomatoes and cucumber

In the toaster???

Fish Finger Sandwich with loads of butter on extra thick white bread. All of it purchased from a supermarket, we’ll have none of this artisan nonsense in Sunderland.

FTW

VanHalen

mama creamy tom yum noodles – yes there is more goodness in teh packet than the noodles but my god – they are tasty!

tomhoward

Go to local oriental supermarket.
    Pick up pack of ramen that only has enough English written on it to allow you to cook it as intended, in your flavour of choice.

I’ve had some lush ones… (edit, including the ones @vanhalen mentions 😊)

kayak23

Toasty of sorts made on the top of the Aga.

Aga?! A blummin Aga!?

I can see a lot of warehouse operatives agreeing with you there.

🙄 Wfh types… 😂

nwgiles

microwave until hot

oh good god no…..
    one’s heats gently in the pan, which is allowed

kelvin

the best toastie is corned beef, onion, cheddar and Worcester sauce

Yes!

As for this thread, if you can’t include cunning ways of using up leftovers that’s most of my hot lunches excluded.

Pick up pack of ramen that only has enough English written on it to allow you to cook it as intended, in your flavour of choice.

Always some of these in the cupboard. Normally “hot” in both ways. Most have sone kind of oil sachet that make them work so well. Mmmm… fat…

molgrips
    Free Member

Stir fry – asian style veg and chopped up mini sausages with some sauce
    Stir fry aka skillet aka puttipanna – last night’s leftover veg with either leftover meat or more mini sausages, chopped and fried up with barbecue sauce and cheese
    Refried beans with cheese and hot sauce on top
    Beans and cheese/mini sausages (yeah I like mini sausages)
    Sausages/fish fingers and some veg

Cougar

Lunch today,

Frozen chips in the air fryer, couple of buttered slices of Warby’s finest: the 15-minute chip butty.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Surely it’s a one pan full english (other regional variations are available)

trail_rat
    Free Member

what ever ive stuffed into my food flask before leaving the house ……. doesnt always end well :D

duncancallum

@kayak23

😘. Tbf they’re good worth the huge running costs maybe not

IHN

As for this thread, if you can’t include cunning ways of using up leftovers that’s most of my hot lunches excluded.

Cunning ways of using up leftovers counts. Just reheating a previous meal doesn’t.

geomickb

I have two options:

Bosh baked beans (make a big batch) – https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/bbq-beans-on-toast
    or sweet potato fritters (batch again) – https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/marcs-winning-sweet-potato-fritters.html

chakaping

Frozen chips in the air fryer, couple of buttered slices of Warby’s finest: the 15-minute chip butty.

I’m going into a carbo-daze just thinking about it.

Surely it’s a one pan full english

I sometimes have a cooked breakfast for lunch. Always feels slightly wrong though.

bfw

Wholemeal/granary bread, toasted, tuna (in SW), a little mayo to make stacking easier, sliced avo, strong cheddar & Red Fox Red Leicester melted in the grill, wholegrain mustard and a little mayo on the other slice

sandwich

maccruiskeen

Wholemeal/granary bread, toasted, tuna (in SW), a little mayo to make stacking easier, sliced avo, strong cheddar & Red Fox Red Leicester melted in the grill, wholegrain mustard and a little mayo on the other slice

Then deep-fried?

IHN

I sometimes have a cooked breakfast for lunch. Always feels slightly wrong though.

I think lunchtime is the perfect time to have a cooked breakfast. Having one at breakfast time makes me a bit queasy.

chakaping

I think lunchtime is the perfect time to have a cooked breakfast. Having one at breakfast time makes me a bit queasy.

Fair enough. I’m the other way round.

I tend to use three pans though, so mine would not be eligible for this thread anyway.

leffeboy

Omelette in a roll/wrap with butter

Any leftovers from yesterday in an omelette (is that allowed?)

llama

Many on toast options, partial to fancy tinned sardines

Many sarnie options, partial to bacon and runny egg

Cunning ways of using up leftovers counts. Just reheating a previous meal doesn’t.

Bubble and squeak with a fried egg on top

Actually most leftovers with a fried egg on top

bikebob

Tinned tuna, kidney beans (or any other pulse) chopped left over veg. Onion, mushroom, pepper, tomato, whatever. Add chillis fresh or jar and fry. Add cheese to melt. Place in wrap, dry fry wrap with all ingredients in / on. Eat, delicious. Go heavy on chillis.

llama

Oh yes, huevos rancheros

IHN

To kick us off, I’m currently enjoying Indian Bean Surprise – one tin of baked beans, tablespoon-ish of curry powder, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, mix it all in a bowl, microwave until hot, done.

I have to admit, Indian Bean Surprise is having an, in retrospect entirely unsurprising, effect.

*parp*

Jordan

Well, I had same as @kayak23 for my late/quick lunch today. Not a whole set of shelves full though……..tasty but always make me drowsy afterwards.

Freester

Does last night’s leftovers count?

A very creamy Leek, Squash, Fennel and Hazelnut gratin. Heated up in the microwave.

colournoise

Chorizo. Chop into chunks and fry. Remove when browned. Chopped onion in to brown in the oil out of the chorizo. Tin of chickpeas in complete with ‘juice’. Cooked chorizo back in. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until most of the liquid has gone. Salt. Pepper.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Fish-Finger massive, where are you sourcing them? I prefer the ones in batter as opposed to orange breadcrumbs. Can’t find them anywhere.

IHN

Does last night’s leftovers count?

A very creamy Leek, Squash, Fennel and Hazelnut gratin. Heated up in the microwave.

Sheesh…

thebunk

Dirty pizza: Wrap/tortilla smeared with tomato paste & sriracha sauce, grated cheese and whatever random stuff you want on top. Today was a torn up slice of ham I found in the fridge, some dried herbs plus a swish of olive oil cos I’m classy. 5 minutes in an oven so the cheese melts. Sometimes I put a fried egg on it too.

maccruiskeen

Cunning ways of using up leftovers counts

I used to quite like stirfrying leftover lasagna and eating it in a butty. But thinking about it – that was usually for breakfast.

fazzini

Fish-Finger massive

Youngs or Birdseye from Tesco normally if going ‘posh’. Or Iceland if we’re passing one. Not averse to using Tesco Finest cod bites either

Kuco

Shakshuka

trail_rat
    Free Member

huevos rancheros

Yes velocity Inverness does a mean huevos ranchers…..

In Africa I used to for lunch eat…. Curry super noodles /tin of tuna / significant amount of cheese melted in.

dyna-ti

I hardly eat lunch(or breakfast), more a one meal type. But if i do it will be microwave pasta, usually macaroni/cheese type thing..

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Surely it’s a one pan full english

probable thread win

I guess I do sausage first, then breads, then bacon, then eggs. Sometimes piling things on top of the sausage to free up valuable pan space.

Question. I’ve never onepanned a breakfast with beans or mushrooms in.

How does one handle the beans and mushrooms in this concoction?

I’m also suspicious of the remarkably clean toast in that picture. I sense a foodstuff not fried with the rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.