Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • In praise of.. the easy hot lunch
  • binners

For the perfect fish finger butty (which I’m definitely having for lunch tomorrow) ….

Best to chuck the plastic cheese on the fish fingers as you finish cooking them to melt it, then into Warbies toastie smothered in proper butter then doused in ketchup 😃

MSP

What a bunch of prissy Sunday school attenders you all are.

mattyfez

Pan fried steak with al dente vegetables.

Prep time: 2 mins
    Cooking time: 4 mins.

iwluap

Fried rice, fry up some veg, add some leftover rice, whisk up in an egg or 2 and add to pan (mix it in or clear a space in the pan and let it firm up first before mixing, let the mood take you!). And some soy and chilli flakes. Adapt to what is in the fridge.

binners

That Hugh Fearley-Twatinstall abomination is possibly the saddest looking thing I’ve ever seen.

It looks like it tastes of tears and antidepressants

andrewh
    Free Member

Slice and fry halumi.
    Place onto slice of bread with lots of butter.
    Cover in sliced jalapenos
    Squirt of lemon juice
    Cover with the other bit of bread with lots more butter.

smokey_jo

This is looking more and more like a brazen attempt to win thread of the week…..

Jordan

Not looked at that DIY pot noodle link above but, around fifteen years ago when I had an indoor job with access to a kettle my lunch consisted of a sandwich box, ready prepared with a sachet of the cheapest (9p I think) Tesco instant noodles, a cheap cream of veg cuppa soup and a teaspoon of curry powder….food of the gods!

jimdubleyou

One tin of these – beanz

One packet of these –
    rice

Heated through in a pan, at grated pecorino or other hard cheese of choice and your favoured hot sauce.

Mmmm beany rice treat *chefs kiss*

garage-dweller

I might have posted this before, if so apologies but this is a winter post night ride favourite, one pan – get in put it on to simmer, shower and it’s ready…

Saucepan add following…
    Drain a can of mixed pulses or mixed beans
    Chop or slice about a 1/4 of one of a supermarket size chorizo ring
    300ml boiling water/just enough to cover beans
    One Oxo cube or bouillon powder beef, chicken or veg for the Oxo is fine
    One large splodge tomato puree
    1/2 to 1tsp chilli flake
    Dried oegano and/or basil
    Garlic if you can be bothered to chop something else

Simmer for 10 minutes or so

Makes a thick soupy/stew

May be served with cheese and / or bread.

Not haut cuisine but it’s filling and warming and gives you just enough time to shower the mud off.

joelowden

Every lunch has to involve home made soup. Sorted.

chewkw
    Free Member

Best Polish Kielecki mayonnaise from Tesco

Kielecki Mayonnaise

This one too.

Winiary mayonnaise

RustySpanner

Go to Morrisons.

Fill up a salad box until it barely closes.

Buy some chicken thighs, some cheap sliced wholemeal bread, some mayo and some hot sauce.

Toasted chicken salad sarnies are proof of a sane God.

razorrazoo

Emperor penguin eggs poached in snow leopard bile with a side of sautéed ocelot spleens?

From the Ron Craggs recipe book?

jkomo

A can of tomato and three bean soup microwaved in big bowl, a packet of microwaved rice dumped on top, black pepper and std Encona hot sauce.
    Honestly you could serve in a restaurant it’s so good. It’s massive, healthy and less than £2.

jkomo

As for the perfect fish finger sandwich-
    It has to include Mayo and lettuce as well as the obligatory Tommy K.

nickc

Mexican “inspired” rice.

One of the saddest things about late stage capitalism has to be the “regionally adjacent processed product masquerading as food” There’s like; 5 countries that have cuisine so recognisable that even oafs will be able to guess at the taste of it.

Chinese – Involves soy sauce (can be substituted for Japanese if upscale)

Italian- Involves either/both pasta and cheese

Mexican (alternative far away hot country that has spicy food, of your choice may be substituted)  – Rice, spice

American – cheese, some sort of unidentifiable meat

Greek – Involves feta (Can be Turkish, or vague Middle Eastern if unsure of audience)

CheesybeanZ

Cheesy beans on toast or baked spud , plenty of black pepper or a dollop of chilli chutney 😋

FuzzyWuzzy

My studenty/I-haven’t-bothered-shopping-in-ages lunch is:

Instant mash (Idaho buttery preferred)

More butter

Can of tuna

Salad cream

Mix it all together and a decent sprinkling of salt – it sounds and looks grim but has saved me many a time from reverting to deliveroo (or getting off my lazy ass and going to the shops).

chriscubed

Miso soup paste, water, noodles and whatever veg is in the fridge, ginger, chilli. Heat til noodles cooked. Lime juice…ooh look at me…

fazzini

From my dim and distant student days:

Pasta of choice cooked and drained.
    In the same pan grate as much cheese as possible. Add black pepper. Job jobbed.

Now, another, of this ‘ere parish, is fond of Tuna, Smash and onion gravy, though I fear this fails the ‘one-pot’ restriction.

thols2

Bacon sandwich.

This. With a fried egg and cheese. Then fry the sandwich in the bacon grease.

tomhoward

it sounds… …grim

Corrrrect!

IHN

Saucepan add following…
    Drain a can of mixed pulses or mixed beans
    Chop or slice about a 1/4 of one of a supermarket size chorizo ring
    300ml boiling water/just enough to cover beans
    One Oxo cube or bouillon powder beef, chicken or veg for the Oxo is fine
    One large splodge tomato puree
    1/2 to 1tsp chilli flake
    Dried oegano and/or basil
    Garlic if you can be bothered to chop something else

Simmer for 10 minutes or so

Makes a thick soupy/stew

May be served with cheese and / or bread.

This sounds great.

Olly
    Free Member

‘one appliance or pan only’

TBH, if youve got an electric grill (George Foreman or similar) youre golden.
    You can cook most things on it, and then put cooked components into a toastie and put it back on the grill if you fancy.

I bought a Thermal/insulated kleen canteen tub thing for work, that happened to be the exact same size as a nest of noodles from the super market.
    uncooked Noodles at the bottom. Top it up with “stuff”, dry.
    Add hot water at lunch and seal it back up for 10 minutes and it was ready. The insulation component was crucial in keeping the water hot enough to cook the noodles, but it worked well.

Cashews, Spring onions and chicken bits. Winner winner.

‘What do we want’? ‘Toasters AND pans’! ‘when do we want them? ‘About 12:30 to 1pm. Ish’.

i enjoyed that.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Anything with an egg and potato. Currently on leftover chilli with left over potato and and a egg. All fried up add a egg. Lovely.

maccruiskeen

American – cheese, some sort of unidentifiable meat

May also not actually be cheese.

maccruiskeen

Best Polish Kielecki mayonnaise from Tesco

Kielecki Mayonnaise

This one too.

Winiary mayonnaise

So.. lunch is two jars of hot mayonnaise? I guess you can just pop the lids off and microwave them in their jars so ticks the ‘easy’ box as theres no washing up- does it get runny enough to just chug when its hot? No spoon?. This could win the thread. Not sure if the OP is going to come windmilling in with some kind of draconian after-the-event rule change though. You know what Binners is like.

binners

You know when you just get something pop in your head that you really really fancy? Well, I’m definitely going for this today*

I shall be utilising the egg cooker, which I’ve championed many times on here as one of the best kitchen thingimibobs you can own. Perfect eggs every time 😀

* I was going to have a fish finger butty, but I’m cooking a Goan fish curry tonight and thats too much fish for one day

fazzini

Damn you @Binners for starting this thread. Now I want boiled egg and soldiers AND a fish finger sandwich. This thread is in danger of getting as expensive as all of those damned PSAs 😂

(#sorry @IHN)

mattbee

Just use the fishfingers as soldiers to dip in the egg.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Grilled cheese and ham sarnie for me today with pico de gallo on the side.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I really shouldn’t have read this thread between 11am and lunchtime whole trying to be good and eat healthy/eat less. The next hour is going to last forever until lunchtime!
    There’s some leftover bolognese in the fridge from last night. Might be going in a Crimpit with some cheese and in the air fryer. But then it would also be nice with the spaghetti in a wrap. Or just on some seeded toast with grated cheedar on top. Maybe with a poached egg on the side.

IHN

Damn you @Binners for starting this thread.

binners

johndoh
    Free Member

Just use the fishfingers as soldiers to dip in the egg.

Cougar

There’s like; 5 countries that have cuisine so recognisable that even oafs will be able to guess at the taste of it.

You missed,

Indian – contains curry powder.

Cougar

My studenty/I-haven’t-bothered-shopping-in-ages lunch is:

Instant mash (Idaho buttery preferred)

More butter

Can of tuna

Salad cream

Mix it all together and a decent sprinkling of salt – it sounds and looks grim but has saved me many a time from reverting to deliveroo (or getting off my lazy ass and going to the shops).

That’s basically reconstituted fish & chips.

towzer

A packet of dry pasta/tomato and herbs (other favours are available)
    Add a tin of tuna, hot water, mix, microwave,eat.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.