Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • In praise of.. the easy hot lunch
  • IHN

In the spirit of the famous toasted sandwich thread that I started but Binners keeps getting the the credit for (not that I’m bitter), I thought we could have a “easy, tasty, hot lunch” thread.

So, what’s your easy, quick, tasty, hot lunch go-to? The only rule (until I invent more rules) is that it cannot involve more than one appliance or pan.

To kick us off, I’m currently enjoying Indian Bean Surprise – one tin of baked beans, tablespoon-ish of curry powder, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, mix it all in a bowl, microwave until hot, done.

airvent
    Free Member

Pre packaged microwave meal

theotherjonv

pack of prawns (or seafood sticks in these budget conscious times), tin of mushy peas, condiment to suit – I like soy sauce but Worcs sauce also works.

cp

Last friday’s homemade chickpea and random veg curry leftovers bunged in the microwave.

Currently have a mild sweat on. Lush.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheese and ham omelette

fathomer

Beans or scrambled eggs (or both) on toast, easy, cheap and relatively good for you, I think 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Just had vegan sausage sandwich, frying the (very tasty) bangers in a little bit of veg oil and putting in seeded bread with red sauce, mustard and rocket salad.

I do love a hot lunch.

kayak23

It’s possible that I might have a problem…

Daffy

Are you a student?

IHN

The only other rule apart from ‘one appliance or pan only’ is that a pre-packaged microwave meal doesn’t count.

The only other rule apart from that is that last night’s dinner reheated doesn’t count either.

blokeuptheroad

Fried egg on toast, loads of real butter, soft yolk, a bit of salt and pepper.  Natch, this being STW my eggs were laid this morning by my own ex battery rescue hens and the toast is artisan sourdough. Technically, the use of a toaster and frying pan breaks your somewhat arbitrary (and frankly unreasonable) ‘rules’. If you are taking a hard line then dry frying the toast in the pan first or even downgrading the whole shebang to an egg banjo is compliant and still acceptable. I urge you though to soften your draconian stance on appliances and utensils. There is no place for fundamentalist puritanism at lunch time!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ahh, a student staple:

Four slices of toast (white obvs), four fried eggs, one tin o beans, cover the lot with grated Red Leicester.

IHN

There is no place for fundamentalist puritanism at lunch time!

You need to get that a bit snappier if you’re going to stick it on a placard.

However, I’m nothing if not a benign dictator who listens to the needs of his oiks people, so I’ll grant the use of a second appliance or pan.

simondbarnes

If I don’t bring leftovers in (got some lovely spicy lentil rice today) then some couscous, veg stock and a selection of veg makes a very easy, quick & tasty lunch (only needs some boiling water and a bit of chopping)

Leftovers for the win today though 🙂

blokeuptheroad

You need to get that a bit snappier if you’re going to stick it on a placard

‘What do we want’? ‘Toasters AND pans’! ‘when do we want them? ‘About 12:30 to 1pm. Ish’.

binners

You even need to ask? You’re never more than a hundred yards away from one…

I’ve actually just had one of Mrs Binners absolutely bloody delicious homemade sausage rolls (this isn’t a euphemism) 🙂

In the spirit of the famous toasted sandwich thread that I started but Binners keeps getting the the credit for (not that I’m bitter), I thought we could have a “easy, tasty, hot lunch” thread.

In my defence I thought I was just getting the credit for my toastie maker recommendation (Salter) and my assertion that the best toastie is corned beef, onion, cheddar and Worcester sauce

tonyd

Soup. Tomato or chicken.

K

Fresh lobster, in to boiling kettle…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Bulk cooked soup out of the freezer. I regularly use up random old veg to make a big pot and freeze in portions. Best if I’ve got stock from a roast.

pondo

Jacket potato FTW.

binners

With a cheese toastie for dunking

IHN

The only other rule apart from the only other rules, is that ‘buying a hot lunch’ doesn’t count.

In my defence I thought I was just getting the credit for my toastie maker recommendation (Salter) and my assertion that the best toastie is corned beef, onion, cheddar and Worcester sauce

Yeah, whatever

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cheese and ham omelette

+1

I still have half the meat and chips from last night’s visit to the kebab shop. That is for this evening’s meal with some nice salad.

ton

i used to take a pack of Kippers. and do em in the microwave.

or 3 biled eggs, done inside a sock and dangled into the big hot water urn we had in the canteen.

fazzini

The only other rule apart from that is that last night’s dinner reheated doesn’t count either.

Well that’s just rude 🙁

I’ll have you know that my veggie bean burrito was very pleasant thanks very much

binners

i used to take a pack of Kippers. and do em in the microwave.

I bet you were popular? 😀

timber

Bacon sandwich.

BillMC

‘3 biled eggs’. Blimey.

poly
    Free Member

theres a book called love your lunchbox if you are looking for inspiration.  All really good stuff if you can bothered prepping the night before and can all be consumed in a typical office “kitchen” with nothing more than a kettle or microwave for heating. (not all are hot).

Cougar

It’s possible that I might have a problem…

Too difficult to choose?

‘3 biled eggs’. Blimey.

That’s obviously a typo.

It should say “billed.”

duncancallum

Toasty of sorts made on the top of the Aga. No pan needed just bacoglide.

2 1/2 mins per side

Use whatever is in the fridge. Boom

blokeuptheroad

3 biled eggs

Emperor penguin eggs poached in snow leopard bile with a side of sautéed ocelot spleens?

theotherjonv

‘3 biled eggs’. Blimey.

That’s obviously a typo.

It should say “billed.”

You are Officer Crabtree and I claim my 50 Francs

thepurist

Old fashioned eggy bread/french toast always reminds me of when I used to walk home from school for lunch.

Oh and great thread Binners, thanks for starting it.

pocpoc
    Free Member

2 rashers of bacon in to frying pan, leftover mashed potatoes in to same pan to soak up the salty goodness. Out on to a plate. 2 eggs in to same pan to fry. Split the lot between 2 plain wraps with plenty of brown sauce and wrap up burrito style. Back in to the pan, 1 min on each side to toast the wrap.
    Less than 10 mins to make. Less than 5 mins to eat both.
    One benefit of WHF is access to more than just a microwave and kettle in the office.

fazzini

theres a book called love your lunchbox

Perhaps not one to Google on the work computer 😳

IHN

ransos
    Free Member

I googled “hot lunch” for some ideas and was quite surprised.

maccruiskeen

The only other rule apart from ‘one appliance or pan only’ is that a pre-packaged microwave meal doesn’t count.

what if they’re the same thing?

maccruiskeen

IHN

What if they’re the same thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.