Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • In and around Leeds
  • growinglad
    Free Member

I’m planning on flying over with my two 6 year old boys to visit my sister and new nephew in Leeds (North West).

Rough plan is to spend a day looking around Leeds (never been there before) and then perhaps a couple of days out in the country. I assume Yorkshire Dales would be easiest? The nephew is only 4-5 months old, so where ever we go it will be short walks and plenty of places to visit if the weather is grotty.

Any ideas on things to plan/visit would be most welcome.

Cheers,

GL

john_drummer
    Free Member

A day should be enough for the city centre. Royal Armouries is worth a visit, but being local(ish) I can’t think of anything else in particular, unless you like retail therapy 😉

Yorkshire Dales is quite a big area so I’d advise probably Grassington as it’s nearer to Leeds than say Hawes. York is also worth a visit

growinglad
    Free Member

York is also worth a visit

Ahh, yes, I remember going there years ago when I was just a nipper. Seem to remember they had a good Viking museum.

I should imagine the boys would enjoy that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not sure if Jorvik is open – got flooded Xmas 2015 – best check in advance. There’s also the National Railway Museum, Castle Museum and maybe even an event on at the racecourse

martinhutch

Bolton Abbey for short walk, especially if very small people are involved. The car park price is a bit eye-watering, but it’s convenient and the walk up to the Strid is pushchair friendly.

There’s also a kiddy farm (Hesketh Park) about a mile away for holding cute but smelly animals, a steam railway at Embsay, another couple of miles off, and Billy Bob’s American Diner at Halton in the same direction. Plenty of good pubs etc.

woody2000

Leeds city museum and the Thackray medical museum are both worth a visit with kids in tow (as is the armouries mentioned above).

Walks – instead of travelling to Dales, perhaps consider Roundhay park (escape to Tropical world if weather crap) or Golden Acre park (or Eccup res) are also close to Tropical world. You could also head to Shipley Glen for a walk – Saltaire close by with shops etc for shelter!

growinglad
    Free Member

Not sure if Jorvik is open – got flooded Xmas 2015

Hmmmmm, probably smells even worse than it was meant to….As a young lad I thought that was brilliant at how bad part of the exhibition smelt!!

Shame….I’m trying to introduce the kids to more British stuff as they have never lived there….and nothing is more British than our fair share of Invasions in our history!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The boys are already excited about the trip so hopefully we’ll be able to pack a few days of interesting day trips in….and perhaps a proper beer or two for dad!

Cheers.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Saltaire also has Salt’s Mill containing the 1850 Gallery with a number of works by David Hockney; All Terrain Cycles; and a short walk from the astoundingly named Fanny’s Ale House.
    Shipley is a short walk away but has absolutely no redeeming features other than the Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Bradford has the National Media Museum and an ice rink, and of course the best curries in the UK.
    For sport there’s Leeds United (second division football), Leeds Rhinos rugby league ( season hasn’t started yet), Bradford City (3rd division football) and Yorkshire County Cricket Club. Might be a bit too much for young attention spans that, though

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good Weather

Bolton Abbey / Hesketh Farm / Billy Bobs Parlou

Steam Trains Embsay (close to the above) but Worth Valley Railway (Howarth/Bronte Parsonage) is cheaper and better.

Check and see if anything is on at Harewood House

Bad Weather
    Bradford Photography Museum
    Royal Armouries Leeds (but not really much for kids, one bit of armour looks like the next)

York has stuff for good or bad weather, but can be very busy.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of Grassington then surely Malham has to be worth considering?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Grassington was my suggestion but not much for 5-6 year olds…
    Eureka at Halifax might be worth a visit

frankconway

Jorvik closed until April.
    Another vote for The Armouries, Thackray, National Rail Museum & Saltaire; was going to suggest Eureka in Halifax but it’s £11.95 each entrance fee and that applies to 3yrs and over!
    As for walks – agree that Bolton Abbey is good & car park is expensive but it may be too far out of Leeds; York City Walls if you go to the Rail Museum.

johnx2
    Free Member

It’s a looooong time since I’ve been, but the Victorian street at the Kirkstall Abbey Museum (http://www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalleries/Pages/abbeyhouse/collections.aspx) is well worth a visit for kids (as in it made an impression on me when I was one, as well as on mine). I think it. They’ve also filmed some harry potter there.

Into the Dales, 6 yr olds would like Forbidden Corner, near Masham. Adults also (attractions nearby for those into the ales).

blader1611
    Free Member

National railway museum is a must and its free,lots of stuff for kids and they can ride a train,what kid doesnt like that.
    I think the armouries is probably a little old and dull for kids that age. Its just guns,spears and armour and not a massive amount of interaction, kids there just seem to like the open space for running in and the echo of their stampeding feet.

martinhutch

If you get a few wet days, Media Museum at Bradford is decent enough for free for young’uns. Better than the Armories, anyhow.

flyingmonkeycorps

Brimham Rocks might be worth a shout for a wander if the weather is nice. Can get busy though.

whitestone
    Free Member

Was going to suggest The Forbidden Corner. Do you still have to pre-book?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘In and around Leeds’ is closed to new replies.