Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • If you owned some land
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

but didn’t have enough cash to build on it, what would you do with it?

Probably talking at least a couple of hectares(few acres here, few there, not all in the one place.), not sure the total how much to be honest, and its over in Donegal, Annagry to be specific. With regards to the state of the land, don’t really know.

Don’t particularly want to sell it, not mine to sell mind you, but I could do as I please with it.

Anyhow, just wondering, what would you do with it? any ideas? Can you do anything?

Just curious if i’m missing a trick here! 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Now the government’s on my side, I’d sit in the middle of it shooting trespassers. Obviously only if it was in England though.

chewkw
    Free Member

Car parking … or long term car park.

mbydmt
    Free Member

paintball centre, quad bike centre or similar 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

Car parking … or long term car park.

we’re talking the north west coast of ireland in the gaeltacht btw! need to be pretty expensive premium for the one car that would maybe use it! 😆

kilo

if it’s in Donegal, the county council will let you build anything you like there 😉

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0416/donegal-has-worst-planning-record-an-tasice.html

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure there’s no Spearmint Rhino near there….

seosamh77
    Free Member

kilo – Member

if it’s in Donegal, the county council will let you build anything you like there

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0416/donegal-has-worst-planning-record-an-tasice.html

think planning would be granted anyhow, there’s some old dwelling still there, my great grannies house etc, that my da used to holiday in (and lived in for a few years) up til the 70s. But as I say no cash for that type of investment, some kind of holiday house on a bit of it is a long term goal mind.

interesting though, cheers!

chewkw
    Free Member

Naturist camping reserve … ? Is it safe to have one there?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Naturist camping reserve … ? Is it safe to have one there?

I’ve not seen the place since i was 18, but i’d guess they are a bit conservative in their view over there, may possibly be frowned upon..

the quad bike thingy sound great mind! could just buy a quad bike for myself! Evetually myself dig out a mini mtb track possibly, got cracking sea views up the hill! Who wouldn’t want to own their own wee bit of trail! 😆

pjm84
    Free Member

Easy.

You apply for outline planning permission to develop the land to the best market value for the end product, be that housing estate, individual units, luxury houses etc and then you sell it on with planning approval to a developer.

kilo

Just googled Annagry – that’s out in the wilds, mus be nice (my mother is from killybegs not quite as nice anymore because of crap planning ) If there is a structure there might be worth trying to keep it recognisable as a house for as long as possible. Picked up some planning bits from here when we were looking for our place, I also have a bit of unusable land but in Kerry

http://www.selfbuildinireland.com/forum/

I can’t work out if pjm84’s reply is a very good wind up or not 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye it is, proper chookterville, population is about 250 or something, though that may grow a bit during the summer months.

As for how it looks, tbh I’ve vague memories of it, need to head over some time and have a good potter around it find ou what it actually consists of..

cheers for that link!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Gradient for trails?

Drac

I’d make a woodland a proper one not bloody pine.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Wind turbines!

enfht
    Free Member

Sink a few containers underground and grow loads of weed.

Call me. 8)

seosamh77
    Free Member

not particularly hilly, rolling would probably describe it best, the land is like this, I’ve got the hill scale up to max on google earth. Can see my grannies old house just below the bit that says meenacrieve(though bit small on that image).

joeyj
    Free Member

Problem with trying to sell it to a housing developer for the highest price is that the housing market in Ireland is even worse than England’s. It maybe worthwhile looking at getting permission to develop but then sit on it until the market gets better however I am not sure how long permissions last in Ireland but it’s easy to find out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Sink a few containers underground and grow loads of weed.

Call me.

most tempting answer yet! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

joeyj – Member

Problem with trying to sell it to a housing developer for the highest price is that the housing market in Ireland is even worse than England’s. It maybe worthwhile looking at getting permission to develop but then sit on it until the market gets better however I am not sure how long permissions last in Ireland but it’s easy to find out.as I say though, it’s ancestral land, so selling it isn’t really on the agenda. possibly some to fund developing another bit of it, but the general consensus is that it shouldn’t be sold unless neccessary.

singletrackmind

Build tempory accomodation and a pub for the oil workers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19889948

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

enfht has the best idea especially seeing as there is a gap in the market for an industrial cannabis farm in donegal since this morning.

seosamh77
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member

Build tempory accomodation and a pub for the oil workers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19889948I’m guessing irish geography isn’t your strong point? 😆

singletrackmind

Geography full stop .

cchris2lou

register it as farm land and get lots of european subventions to grow rocks .

andrewni
    Free Member

This (if there’s more of a slope than google earth says)

http://www.fairymountfarm.com/mtb.htm

pjm84
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem much of a “market” for the land use?

Tourism? Or is it that remote?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Plant hardwood – by the time you come to retire it should be about harvest-able and worth a fair bit 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

The answer is always a nice set of dirt jumps.

kayak23

samuri
    Free Member

Make it into a new country, declare war on America.
    Argue with them for a bit and call them names (bizarelly, this sort of stuff works on people in power), get them all riled up. Tell them you’ll do something nasty to your neighbours who being Irish will be ever so important to the Americans. Get them to fly you over to the states business class for some important talks and then eventually capitulate and let them pay for post-war repairs to your country. Nice big house and set of dirt jumps should do it. A good sized lake as well.

Don’t worry, they’ll never attack you because there’s no oil there.

maccruiskeen

kilo

was thinking abiout this a bit more, if you decide to do something with the plot I would suggest you bear in mind the following;

water – well or mains nearby
    sewage – sceptic tank in place? and the new sceptic tank regsitration charge designed to screw more money out of people
    electricity – connected or nearby

You can’t really regard it as an investment, we’ve finished our place now if we ever wanted to sell it no one would buy it, old houses in the country don’t sell well (everyone we looked at five years ago is still on the market) but it’s now in our family and will stay in it (the egentic trait of attachment to land has not skipped a generation!) Good luck.

zanelowe
    Free Member

campsite or small holding both naturist of course

klumpy
    Free Member

Enduro/trials practice/training centre.
    Maintain the obstacles and take a cut from instructors who use it. Add some rugged blockhouses, a big stove, and a few washing machines for weekend/week long courses.

Or grow potatoes.

binners

Al Qaeda terrorist training camp. Some of those Saudi Jihadists are minted

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i dont know if you saw my post before it was removed , i dont know what the moderators on here are thinking , its ok to recommend cannabis cultivation , terrorism and war with US but calling a state body which openly and actively suppresses mtbing w4nkers is not

kilo

” jacksonwwirl – Member

i dont know if you saw my post before it was removed , i dont know what the moderators on here are thinking , its ok to recommend cannabis cultivation , terrorism and war with US but calling a state body which openly and actively suppresses mtbing w4nkers is not “

Are Coillte that bad? Isn’t ballyhoura on their land

mattsccm
    Free Member

Much of the character has gone from Ireland as a result of large scale new builds in the recntpast. Too much EU money. Rebuild any dwelling as traditional plus luxury and rent it as holiday house.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘If you owned some land’ is closed to new replies.