Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)
  • If you dented someones car would you own up?
  • project
    Free Member

Our prisons are full of people with no respect for others & their property

brexit out voters then

Kryton57

Hora, I never stated I could afford to fix it. I have created a threat lamaneting an attitude which has been repeated here – that it’s seems ok to some people to damage others property they have to pay own or maintain.

Captainsasquatch – if you care to read my post on the first page properly i didn’t call you and arse, I stated that the statement you’ve made makes you come across as an arse. It’s not about the fact you’d accept damage to others property, it’s about the fact you (now repeatedly) stated you would do it deliberately. You made and continue to make your own bed matey, I hope one day your caught for your apparent deliberate acts of vandalism.

Kryton57

I get it, you’re such a well-adjusted easy-going chap. You save threatening damage for when you decide someone’s parked too close to you.

This also. Given the fact the majority of public car parks have marked out bays and cars are different sizes, I’d be nterested to know upon which measure The Captain determines he will willingly vandalise someone’s car.

tuboflard

Just found some scratches on my car rear bumper only today. Definitely done in a car park as been parked up there a few days. Whilst it’s only “cosmetic” it gets me that someone would knowingly bump my car, look at it, go “meh” and drive off. As others have said, it’s common decency if you can’t drive a car well enough not to know where it starts and ends to start bumping in to others not to then give your details when you bump it. It’s going to probably cost me £80 or so to get it fixed, and it’s not that I can or can’t afford it, but money I’ve worked hard to earn and rather not spend on stuff that some other incompetent **** has done because they’ve got no respect or can’t drive their car properly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

brexit out voters then

I’m sure most of them wouldn’t know how to get to the polling station!

hora
    Free Member

1,500,000 more brexit’ers found the voting stations than ‘better the devil you know Brussels’ remainers.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1,500,000 more brexit’ers found the voting stations than ‘better the devil you know Brussels’ remainers.

But that’s got nothing to do with dinging other peoples cars or spotting scopes! 😉

hora
    Free Member

True.

Just because someone damaged your car and you can’t be bothered doesn’t mean others should share your feeling.

If I borrow my bil’s car he likes it back 100% immaculate and blemishfree the way he likes to keep it. Whereas my car looks like a bin. I can completely appreciate where he’s coming from and why. That’s the power of empathy. You can see others veleifs and desires/standards.

scuttler

I have and I did own up and would do so again (although in this case told the recipient to jog on after having agreed and sorted a pay off they tried to get me involved in the unreliability of their chosen repairer)

Karma innit.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You can see others veleifs and desires/standards.

❓ 😕 😆

Northwind

Of course I would, I’m not a ****.

I’m not that bothered about my own car, it has scratches and dents previous owner put on it and one I did myself but that’s really not relevant.

pictonroad

Came back to this the other day. What’s going on here? Frustrated portrait painter, indecisive trolley driver?

No note obviously, going to be a saga to get sorted. 🙄

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Forgive me for not giving a shit, but it is hardly important

That’s fine that you are not bothered about the state of your own car, and you are fully entitled to not give a shit about your own property.

However you should give a shit about other peoples property, and I assume you do right?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Came back to this the other day. What’s going on here? Frustrated portrait painter, indecisive trolley driver?

That’s plain wanton vandalism and not on. Hope you get the gits that did it to pay for the damage.
    That’ll confuse a few.

However you should give a shit about other peoples property, and I assume you do right?

One day, my sweet, you will understand.
    You could try empathising with someone who has a view which is not aligned with yours, just like hora says. 😆

retro83
    Free Member

Some dopey fat woman with a bag with metal corners on it. She stands there loading her fat child into her car, meanwhile the bag is sandwiched between her back-fat and your car. Every time she moves, it leaves a scratch.

Source: saw it happen to my own car

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand – is it not enough any more just to spit on the door handle of the car thats parked too close to you?

ferrals
    Free Member

That you like trolling and posturing on the internet? 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve sometimes dinged people who’ve parked too close to me. If they care so little about their property, I don’t see why I should. Most cars are leased , so not really a problem.
    It’s only a car, so nothing important in the grand scheme.

PRICK

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could try empathising with someone who has a view which is not aligned with yours, just like hora says

You still didn’t manage to answer the question.

plyphon
    Free Member

I mean, if someone has parked too close to you and you want to damage their property as revenge – I mean, thats another discussion all together – but at least do it whilst admitting to yourself you are causing someone else monetary damages to their property.

The very least you can do is hold your head high and do it being honest with yourself, that you are causing someone, somewhere, a ballache.

That’s the worst about it, the fact he says “it’s not really a problem” – who are you to decide what is and isn’t a problem?

If you want to damage something, do it with pride that you are causing someones property real, monetary, criminal damage.

fasthaggis

I’m struggling to understand – is it not enough any more just to sphit on the door handle of the car thats parked too close to you?

pictonroad

Some dopey fat woman with a bag with metal corners on it. She stands there loading her fat child into her car, meanwhile the bag is sandwiched between her back-fat and your car. Every time she moves, it leaves a scratch.

sounds credible. 🙄

philxx1975
    Free Member

Surely it’s criminal damage no?

Same as punching their face in would be assault?

retro83
    Free Member

It happened, couldn’t care less if you believe me or not. Very similar scratch to the pic in the post i replied to.

FuzzyWuzzy

I was on auto-pilot one morning and did my usual reverse and swing around out of my drive, only to hear a crunch as I went into the side of a neighbour’s car who’d parked in a weird place. My fault though, I just didn’t register it through a cursory glance in the rear view mirror (and yes lucky it wasn’t a child, it was a bit of a wake-up call). I left an apologetic note (it was 6:30am so didn’t want to disturb them), they came around that evening and agreed to settle it without involving the insurance and they’d get some quotes. Turned out to be a £450 lapse in attention but would certainly not try and hide it/deny it.

I’d be a bit more reticent in a public car park as I’ve read stories about people dinging someone’s parked car, left their details and then a whiplash claim goes in with the owner fraudulently claiming to have been in the car at the time. Trouble is without clear evidence your insurance co will just pay out rather than go to court so you get shafted in the end. Thankfully I haven’t been in a situation I’ve faced this moral dilemma yet…

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d be a bit more reticent in a public car park as I’ve read stories about people dinging someone’s parked car, left their details and then a whiplash claim goes in with the owner fraudulently claiming to have been in the car at the time. Trouble is without clear evidence your insurance co will just pay out rather than go to court so you get shafted in the end.

That is crazy.. though I guess people would try anything. Presumably avoidable if you take a bunch of photos though (including the empty car interior).

plus-one

On a side note what’s the best flavour of pot noodle to chug into ? 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I really didn’t think there would be such a diverse range of opinions on STW on this issue. This place never disappoints! 😆

Actually, there are only 2 opinions – Yes and no! And massive hatred from the Yes to the Nos!

tlr

I can’t believe that there is any question about this – of course you own up. To not do so is dishonest, criminal and shockingly anti-social.

That anyone lacks the social awareness, empathy and understanding of how life works (or should work) enough to actually admit, and seemingly be proud of, the fact that they care nothing for the property of others on a public forum is gobsmacking.

Starving children matter, homelessness matters, robbery and criminal damage all matter – they are not mutually exclusive!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Starving children matter, homelessness matters, robbery and criminal damage all matter – they are not mutually exclusive!

My level of outrage, for one, rises and falls on a par with the level of starvingness, homelessness and criminal damageness.

taxi25
    Free Member

Five pages of people for the most part saying they’d own up and leave a note. Yet in nearly 40yrs of motoring no one’s ever left a note on my car with their details 🙁 Where do all of you live, I’d love to park my car in your neighbourhood.

DezB
    Free Member

Where do all of you live?

the strange and mysterious world of singletrack…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Five pages of people for the most part saying they’d own up and leave a note. Yet in nearly 40yrs of motoring no one’s ever left a note on my car with their details Where do all of you live, I’d love to park my car in your neighbourhood.

I’d hazard a guess that there is a correlation between the type of person who doesn’t take any care when opening a door as they don’t care about other peoples property, and those who don’t bother leaving a note when damage occures and they are selfish ass hats.

I’m still calling deliberate trolling by the Captain…hes doing it magnificently however, ill give him that

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’m still calling deliberate trolling by the Captain…hes doing it magnificently however, ill give him that

Except you’re not still calling me anything, to still call me a troll you would have had to have called me a troll earlier in the thread, you didn’t. You wanted my address so you could key my vehicles.
    A subtle, yet significant, difference in my book. 😆

pictonroad

It happened, couldn’t care less if you believe me or not. Very similar scratch to the pic in the post i replied to.

The rolling eyes are not meant at you, aimed at the culprit, it does sound sound and look likely.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Except you’re not still calling me anything, to still call me a troll you would have had to have called me a troll earlier in the thread, you didn’t. You wanted my address so you could key my vehicles.
    A subtle, yet significant, difference in my book.

Unless I’d change my mind in the last 24 hrs howeever, without of course bothering posting on here.

My thought process went something like this….

24 hrs ago…’this guy is a total xxxx’

12 hrs ago thought to myself based on further posting ‘nah he can’t possible be that much of a xxx an he?, he must be on the wind up’

Now…’retained thinking from 12 hrs ago’

Following?

Also, I offered to key your vechicles in exchange for a donation to your food bank, which given you don’t care about your car, but do about food banks, felt like a generous offer

A subtle, yet significant, difference in my book…..

Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘If you dented someones car would you own up?’ is closed to new replies.