Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • If you dented someones car would you own up?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Depends really, sometimes folks see a small paint mark or slight ding or scratch as an opportunity to get their car tidied up at the expense of the other guy’s insurance. So whislt the right thing to do is to admit to it, often you cannot rely on the other fella to just buff it out.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s usually bad parking that adds to this, it’s not that difficult to park centred in the bay!

unless the person next to you is parked off centre and you want to get out withou leaving a ding

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

unless the person next to you is parked off centre and you want to get out withou leaving a ding

😀

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Ah the middle class hypocrisy. There is nothing acceptable about damaging another person’s property. And if you think there is your a ****. Fill in your own blanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member

The car is more important than people.
    Where has anyone said that?

No one did. That fact remains no matter how long you make up opposite.

Just have a look at the shite thrown at me, this is in response me saying that if someone parks too close to me, then I’m not worried about dinging their car.

Nope, it’s in response the shite you’ve accused folk of above.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Nope, it’s in response the shite you’ve accused folk of above.

Which is what exactly?
    I’ve just had a read through and yes, I called frankconway “classy” which is obviously far more unacceptable than the paragraphs directed at me.
    Seriously? 😆
    This place is hilarious.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your 2nd post (I’m not reading any more).

Now who’s the arse?

codybrennan
    Free Member

I very lightly grazed someones rear wing a couple of months ago- their car had sustained some other battle damage.

Nevertheless, I wrote a wee note with my contact details, put it under their wiper. Yet to hear anything, dont think I will now.

Its a karma thing.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Your 2nd post (I’m not reading any more).

Which is response to Kryton57 calling me an arse and my phrase is’t directed at anyone in particular (it’s more questioning the fact that I was called an arse).
    The no, it’s not an insult.
    Shouldn’t you be focussing attention at Kryton57 for introducing the insults?
    No need to read the rest either, just a cursory glance should give you the facts.
    Seems all one sided to me.

mickmcd
    Free Member

What wheel size for trips to the food bank?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re just trolling, want to be indicted into the Brotherhood of Big Hitters? Happily I have better things to do than talk to you.

Your classy. Who are you?

funkmasterp

If I dinged somebodies car I’d definitely leave a note or own up to it. Somebody reversed in to mine and I didn’t even notice for a few weeks. Personally don’t care about my car, it’s a tool to do a specific job end of. Never understood people taking cars so seriously. Completely wrong to walk away from something you’ve done though. Moral bankruptcy seems to be on the rise.

Unrelated, but still car based, I had to physically step in to the road at a pelican crossing the other day as nobody would stop to let me cross. World is full of selfish cockwombles.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This place is hilarious.

Tis when your’e here.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s not the damage, it’s the attitude. What you think about damage to your own car is utterly irrelevant. To not spend a few seconds avoiding needless damage to someone else’s property is really poor behavior. It’s for them to say whether it’s OK, not you. You might not care, but to not give a toss whether someone else does, especially when it costs you nothing, is really arrogant. That’s what gets my piss boiling. If there’s an actual cost involved in sorting it then it’s worse.

And WTF has concern for the homeless got to do with it?

project
    Free Member

So who would apologise if a shopping trolley moved down hill and smacked a car,in a car park i use this is quite frequent, nobocy apologises, they just retrieve their trolley, every little helps.

richmars

It’s not the damage, it’s the attitude.

This. It’s just basic courtesy. Regardless if you drive an old banger or a brand new car you clean every day.
    And yes, I’ve owned up.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Since when is the guiding principle for personal morals and ethics based upon what other people do? No wonder the world’s the way it is if we say ‘well they did, so I will to?’…

And for the record, twice I’ve owned up two damaging someone elses car …I treat others how I’d hope they would treat me.

iamtheresurrection

MrSalmon nailed it for me.

To knowingly (or purposely in CaptainS’s case) damage somebody else’s property based on a moral judgement or petty retribution (like parking badly) is an action of a pretty bitter man.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I accidently drove into a car at work once, left quite a big scuff on their rear quarter panel. My first instinct was to check for CCTV and start driving home. Then I realised my conscience wouldn’t let me and imagined how I would feel if someone had done the same to my car. I drove back and spent half an hour finding the owner. It ended up costing me a couple of hundred quid to sort. My car was damaged too, but I didn’t really care about that – I wanted to be able to sleep at night knowing I’d done the right thing.

If you damage other people’s property and are aware of it, do the decent thing, and fess up. If you don’t, them imo you are a selfish arsehole and I hope karma repays you in a similar fashion.

Retromud
    Free Member

So, to make sure I’ve understood:

– we shouldn’t care about someone recklessly damaging our property and walking away as there is homelessness, poverty and war in the world
    – bad parking is important enough to wilfully damage other people’s property

Ergo, bad parking is worse than homelessness, poverty and war.

I think I’ve got it now

LMT
    Free Member

17 dings in my last car when I traded it in, I work in a supermarket and I had the car for 7 years so not to bad. The two things that annoyed are 1 it was a c2 not exactly a big car and always parked central to the spot, and 2 after a minor bump I had the rear bumper and rear drivers side wing repaired, 3 months later when I traded the car guess what yep 2 dings!

I don’t use my car for work anymore I cycle and I refuse to take the car better to get a taxi home with the food shop if needed.

unknown
    Free Member

I probably would, but not if I’d dinged an Audi. Everyone knows that Audi drivers are **** so anything I can do to make their lives a little worse is worth it.

Come to think of it, when I drove an old bager I used pull into the work carpark every day next to jags or beemers and swing my drivers’ door open with gay abandon. Particularly the car of the guy who gave daily clarkson-esque reviews of his drive to work. But then, I knew the owners were **** even without the Audi test.

hora
    Free Member

Using some stw’ers thinking..

So if I accidentally break someones window. I can shout ‘mate some people have cancer in the world so chill as you only have a bloodybroken window’.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So if I accidentally break someones window. I can shout ‘mate some people have cancer in the world so chill as you only have a bloodybroken window’.

Of course you can, but it wouldn’t resemble anything said on here by me. You can spend all day misreading and misquoting what I’ve said. Ain’t going to change a thing as far as I’m concerned and the more you try to make me look bad, the more pathetic you look.

hora
    Free Member

Well at least you can’t post when your back in class tomorrow during the day.

czthompson

I honestly don’t understand some peoples perception. Yes there is a clear difference between property and personal injury. However, whenever something is damaged or worn out I have to pay for it. This money doesn’t come from a mystical fairy but by me spending time away from my family working.. Even if I don’t get the damage fixed, even the reduction in value has an impact which means more time at work..

tpbiker
    Free Member

Captain, whats your address. I’m sure you wouldn’y mind me (or a poster that lives nearby) popping round and keying your car. In fact your attitude stinks so much i’d actually pay for the privaledge. So how about we make a deal…

You let me (or another poster) run a key all the way down the side of your car and I’ll personally donate £50 quid to your nearest foodbank?

Do we have a deal? Its only a car afterall and think of the hungry kids…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Captain, whats your address. I’m sure you wouldn’y mind me (or a poster that lives nearby) popping round and keying your car. In fact your attitude stinks so much i’d actually pay for the privaledge. So how about we make a deal…

I would if that bore any resemblance to what I had said. It doesn’t, so I expect you’ll understand that I’ll keep my address to myself.

As promised the damage that someone did to my vehicle. Did I start a little rant? Did I burst a blood vessel? Did I throw insults at anyone? Did I threated damage to the perpetrators vehicle?
    No, no I didn’t.
    The reason I didn’t is because it’s a little bit of bdywork damage to a car. No one was hurt and the world didn’t stop spinning.
    Forgive me for not giving a shit, but it is hardly important. Obviously one or two here have a different view.
    This I respect and to this end I have only thrown insults back at those who think it’s appropriate to insult another for the simple crime of having a different opinion, just to see how they like it. Apparently thery don’t.
    The rest of you who’ve twisted and turned what I said into something quite ridiculous, I’ve sat here quietly laughing at you. You throw in inflammatory comments and insults, then call me a troll. Good luck on that one.
    I’m bored of responding to silly little digs now.
    Chao!

hora
    Free Member

It’s ciao, maybe you start Italian in year 8?

sputnik
    Free Member

Chao, a parting phrase in Spanish and Bulgarian for “bye” or “goodbye”
    Chao – Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chao

teasel
    Free Member

^ 🙂

Every day’s a school day, eh, Hora.

OP question : Yes. But my car cam shows many don’t.

philxx1975
    Free Member

If you can’t afford to get it fixed then don’t drive it .

taxi25
    Free Member

To answer the op’s question no I wouldn’t 🙁
    Not because I don’t respected other people’s property, because I do and take great care around other people’s cars.
    But here’s the thing, my care has 8 little dings and dents, three of the corners are scuffed. None of this is down to me ! In all my life no one’s ever left a note on my car. I don’t know anyone who has had a note left on their car that didn’t say Haha. Its obviously happened, maybe some on here have left notes, but most of you are just saying you would to sound good on the internet 😀
    I’ll fix my car, other people can fix their own, in the end it’ll sort of balance out.

hora
    Free Member

If you can’t afford to get it fixed then don’t drive it ..

My mountain bike falls against your road bike outside a cafe. I say ‘it’s going to get used and abused, with scratches isnt it?

True, everyday is a school day. I wonder why he wasn’t taught ethics or empathy.

BadlyWiredDog

My partner works for a local food bank on a voluntary basis rather than just talking it up. But when she accidentally scraped a car bumper reversing her van, she also felt obliged to leave a note with her details on it for the owner. I guess she has a broader concept of ethics and morality that’s about treating other people with basic decency, full stop.

jamj1974

I think as a few have suggested it’s just a question of respect and common decency. Regardless of value or people’s choices of where to spend cash – it’s just decent to take care of the environment around you and this includes other people’s things…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our prisons are full of people with no respect for others & their property. I think that sums up a lot of people’s attitude on here.

johnners
    Free Member

As promised the damage that someone did to my vehicle. Did I start a little rant? Did I burst a blood vessel? Did I throw insults at anyone? Did I threated damage to the perpetrators vehicle?
    No, no I didn’t.

I get it, you’re such a well-adjusted easy-going chap. You save threatening damage for when you decide someone’s parked too close to you.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes. A couple of months ago I banged a car in the works van and walked round the road knocking on doors till found the owner. The no option happened to my old boss when someone scraped his van then told him to his face ” it’s only an old van”. Said person was pulled over a wall and beaten till he squealed like a pig. Not pleasant but reasonable if you are going to be an idiot. Most people I know work and save hard to buy vehicles. The everybody leases argument comes into the squeal like a pig course of action.

blader1611
    Free Member

We got ploughed in to by an Audi who failed to stop in time. Everything perfectly good natured when we exchange details. Phoned him the next day to say i wont be claiming for anything as no structural damage and that i wasnt bothered about respraying some scratches as the rest of the car has some sort of mark on most panels. He was genuinely shocked and relieved at not receiving a big bill. He thought my gesture was so nice he decided to return that favour by offering us a day out for the whole family on his racing yacht in Scotland (the yacht looked incredible).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘If you dented someones car would you own up?’ is closed to new replies.