Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • If you could go back in time what would you tell your 10 year old self?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I would tell 10 year old me not to eat so many sweets.

55 year old me is haemorrhaging money at the dentist putting right all the damage caused by 10p mixes and fizzy drinks!

Had a filling collapse this morning only 2 weeks after having another one replaced with a crown. Damage caused in the 70s and 80s that has cost me a grand this month. Meh.

ads678

Rule number 1.

fasthaggis

Don’t worry so much,everything will be grand.

intheborders
    Free Member

Nobody will ever ask you for any evidence of any qualification you’ve said you’ve got.

Poopscoop

I wont like, it would have to be in regard to my willy and not ignoring things when… an odd “event” happens around 8 years from then.

Edit: I thought you said 10 years into the past, not age!

Hmmm…. Not sure id tell my 10 year old self about the impending event. Hell… Yes I would. He’d thank me later!

verses

Firstly I’d tell me to buck up, then I’d tell me to spend all my pocket money on Apple shares.

crazy-legs

I would tell 10 year old me not to eat so many sweets.

And 10 year old you would have replied “**** off Grandad!”  😉

This is the problem – it’s all great advice you get given as a 10yr old, but you don’t want to believe any of it and can’t comprehend the fact that if/when it comes back to bite you, it’ll be in 40-50 years time, that’s an unfathomable timeframe to a 10yr old.

v7fmp

pull out.

mjsmke

Don’t take work so seriously. Spend more time with family before its too late.

scruff9252

Nobody will ever ask you for any evidence of any qualification you’ve said you’ve got.

Awesomes!

*heads off to complete a Pilot Job application for BA*

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.

stany
    Free Member

So many to choose from but a defining moment in my development at 10yrs old was moving from Scotland to England and being moved up a year at secondary as I aced the entry exams.

10yr old me thought that was brilliant as I’d finish school a year sooner. The reality was that I missed about 6 months of real education and it changed my perspective on the world completely.

I still turned out alright but made some poor choices in my teens and twenties that I might have avoided if I’d stayed interested in academia. Or I might have stayed a soft lad and been an utter ****!

monkeyboyjc

Buy bitcoin….

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d tell me to tell my mum and dad to give me some parental direction and encourage me to make some effort at school.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Work hard at languages and get off the Island – it’s a trap.

Jamz
    Free Member

Buy bitcoin….

*mine bitcoin. And keep your hdd safe FFS!

IdleJon

I can’t even remember what I was like at 10 years old. Maybe to put the Yellow Submarine and the Aston DB5  back in the boxes and keep them in mint condition for another 30+ years. Keep hold of the first edition of 2000AD, if only for nostalgia. And, spend more time riding down the hill on the base of the Action Man tank, cos it was time limited fun because the tank doesn’t get bigger like you do!

thols2

It would not actually be really cool if everyone walked around naked like the people in National Geographic magazines.

grahamt1980

Spend as much time as you can with dad

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Don’t be constrained by what others tell you you can’t do in life. Don’t be ground down by your bullying middle-school teacher, he’s a d!ck and the issue is with him.

Do go to University when you’re 18 – it’ll be free and one day people will be paying £40-50k to go. You’ll have a blast.

Buy shares in [insert name here], etc

ampthill

Learn more Urdu

mildbore

Don’t worry, you will escape and life will get better

dyna-ti

Emigrate as soon as you can.

And buy a boat.

woody2000

Don’t have kids and go live somewhere warm, but not hot 😁

desperatebicycle

These are the best years of your life.. It’s all downhill from here, kid!!

Kramer
    Free Member

I’d want to warn myself about my dad, and give myself advice on what to do, but I’m not sure how I’d word it to be suitable for a ten year old in the 1980s.

MoreCashThanDash

Do what you enjoy,  not what people tell you is “best” – you’ll be happier and more successful.

thepurist

To actually talk to people about how I’m feeling rather than carry on building the impenetrable mask that will eventually fall apart in a very difficult way.

onewheelgood

Be braver

gallowayboy

Stick with birdwatching, maps and mountains, don’t worry about what’s cool.

In 8 years time DO NOT go to Aberdeen to study quantity surveying.

Spend as much time as you can with dad

Definitely that.

the-muffin-man

…that dental care was free back then!!  🙂

hot_fiat

When she asks “Will you stay?” you god damned well stay. When she says “Why don’t you come with me?” you $%^&ing well go with her.

Be brave, be bold: nobody really gives a shit.

IHN

That there will be a night in eight years time when you will have a great idea for a “who can jump up the most of the steps outside Coventry Cathedral” competition. Don’t do it, because then, in another 30 years time, you won’t be facing a partial knee replacement.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Get into riding up road climbs for fun/challenge/fitness now, rather than discovering the concept ~33 years later.

wait4me

There are better people to listen to for careers advice than your parents

jimw
    Free Member

That failing your cycling proficiency test* won’t stop you riding bikes for another five decades and counting…

* yes I really did, but maintain to to this day that the observer was talking to her friend when she didn’t see me looking over my shoulder when moving off.

TiRed

Buy Apple and Microsoft shares with your pocket money rather than a BBC micro.

Take Biology ‘O’ Level.

Tell your sister and mother to stay out of the sun a bit more.

chaos

n0b0dy0ftheg0atFree Member
    Get into riding up road climbs for fun/challenge/fitness now, rather than discovering the concept ~33 years later.

Hah! 55 years old today.  My 10 year old self lived in Belgium and loved cycling.

I’d tell him all about cyclocross and road-racing.  He hadn’t even realised it was a thing despite living in the home of world cycling.

ElShalimo

Don’t go to the school party – you’ll get head lice

Let Nicola Leonard sit on your knee, girls are pretty cool

pondo

Several sets of Lottery mumbers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.