Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • If(!) Clegg resigns, who's going to lead the Lib Dems??
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Who else do they have?!? I appreciate that he’s almost certain to go, so do they have to choose a leader from the remaining MPs? All the big guns have gone, haven’t they?!?

Edit: this is one for the chat forum, obvs 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s so few of them now, do they need one?

tootallpaul

Onzadog +1

They could just set up a rota.

wwaswas

well Farage said he’d leave politics if he didn’t win in Thanet so he’s a shoe in for LibDem leader…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Danny Alexander.

Work experience boy made good.

wwaswas

Danny Alexander.

do you have to be an MP to be a party leader?

martinhutch

Lord Pantsdown to the rescue (on an interim basis).

nickjb
    Free Member

do you have to be an MP to be a party leader?

Maybe ask Nicola Sturgeon

wwaswas

Maybe ask Nicola Sturgeon

She’s an MSP though? I meant someone with no mandate beyond their own party? Even Farage is an MEP.

grizedaleforest

Tim Farron

shermer75
    Free Member

Natalie Bennett is(was!) leader without being an MP also…

shermer75
    Free Member

Some fingers are being pointed at this chappy (who I’ve never heard of):

Norman Lamb

MrWoppit
    Free Member

footflaps

Does it really matter? They’re so small now, they’re pretty much irrelevant.

shermer75
    Free Member

Does it really matter? They’re so small now, they’re pretty much irrelevant.

I know! Who’d a thunk it, the sensible, centrist ‘normal’ ones having to return over half of their deposits while the swivel eyed right wing ‘British Tea Party’ loonies get 1 in every 8 votes nationwide. Aaargh!! Who stole my country!?! 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Farron vs Lamb is the expectation, Farron heavy favorite with grass roots, Lamb with party establishment, therefore Farron more likely.

andytherocketeer

IF ?

johndoh
    Free Member

He has gone. Official.

binners

Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out Nick

Ed next. Another useless spineless twunt shuffles offstage.

Rscott
    Free Member

If there were more lib dems like Tim fFarron they wouldn’t have such a small amount of seats

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The media created Cleggmania, reality burst it.

Without the mania, he might have done better.

Not much to choose from right now. Icarus symptom?

ads678

Funny how people wanted to punish the libdems for going into government with the tories, and they’ve done that by voting tory!!

Politics is shit, i’m out. Protest votes only for me now………..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny how people wanted to punish the libdems for going into government with the tories, and they’ve done that by voting tory!!

The results are full of ironies!!! But this does seem a contradiction

ourmaninthenorth

Well, they haven’t entirely. But you’re right that effectively the Student Fees cock-up killed any positive LibDem PR ever since.

Combine that with rampant nationalism, and they’re the major whipping boys here. Labour also punished for being far out of touch with significant portions of the electorate (at a parliamentary seat level), and so pay the price for not being the clear alternative so many apparently wanted.

mattsccm
    Free Member

They have had a leader in the past?

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

help us paddy ashdown, you’re our only hope

chewkw
    Free Member

Lib Dem as a party is over probably forever now regardless of who they have as a leader.

ads678

No you’re wrong, they still got more votes than Scotland.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just watched Cleggys speech….poor bastard didn’t deserve that!

I even felt a bit sorry for Ed M, he tried his best….but still haven’t managed to feel anything for Ed B. He had it coming!

shermer75
    Free Member

No you’re wrong, they still got more votes than Scotland.

From about 12x as many constituencies!

CountZero

Is there any party left to lead?
    And is there something for which a Clegg or Cleggy would make an amusing adjective or euphemism? 😉

allthepies
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

tim farron will lead them
    We studied politics together at college – I got an E no idea what he got.
    He has always been a Lib dem and was them – he will be used to dealing with a very small number of supporters 😉

Suspect he will win it easily

I agree its bonkers to punish the lib dems for the coalition by voting tory.

Perhaps folk were just voting for what was on the tin as the Lib dems made to much of the we could flip flop either way in order to anoint a king. I understand why they did this but it lacked principles and meant you had no idea what you were voting for.

Very popular locally with folk as well even non Lib Dem supporters so pretty safe as well

Shame he found god though as he makes some erratic faith based decisions.

vondally
    Free Member

liberals to join labour……………new party awaits

stumpyjon

I think a lot of disillusioned Tories voted lib dem in 2010 only to be even more disallusioned with the outcome and have now gone back to the Tories in the absence of any credible alternative. The Libdems were just at their peak in 2010, right place, right time (or not with hindsight).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know why some people always come to the conclusion that the drop in support for one party must automatically explain the increase in support for another.

No survey has been done as it’s less than 24 hours since the polls closed.

There could be any manner of different scenarios, such as most of the former LibDem vote going to Labour but Labour losing some votes to the Greens and UKIP, or/and possibly disillusioned Labour voters staying at home and not voting, or/and Tory voters making a greater effort to vote because of the perceived SNP “threat”.

A substantial amount of LibDem support has always been a tactically anti-Tory vote so it’s just silly to assume that it went to the Tories. Specially when it is widely accepted that in all the elections for the last 5 years the LibDems have been punished for their coalition with the Tories.

LibDem seats tend to be in fairly affluent areas such as Kingston and Surbiton, Twickenham, etc, that’s why people vote for them tacitly, to stop the Tories. But even if in areas like Kingston much of the LibDem vote goes to Labour the Tory vote is so huge that the Tories win, giving the impression that LibDem voters have switched to the Tories.

And it should be remembered that the Tory share of the vote this election only increased by 0.08% compared to last time. Which doesn’t suggest that the Tories were substantial benefactors of the 15.2% lost LibDem vote.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Back to the OP’s topic, if it were possible for the voters to elect a party leader, Greg Mulholland would get my vote. He is personable, forthright and actually does something instead of just paying lipservice. When Clegg was asked why he hadn’t been around to support Greg, he replied that Greg was able to fight his own battles.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Let’s be honest..does anyone care who leads Lib Dems now?

dragon
    Free Member

I do I think it’s improtant to have a free trade liberal party to balance the worst of the centerist anti-liberal side of both Labour and the Tories. We need someone who will challange the idea of identity cards and governement controlled police etc. etc. (oh and don’t think the SNP are liberal either, they are just as bad as the Tories and Labour for wanting central state contol).

Coyote
    Free Member

Welcome to town of Obscurity in the county of Irrelevance. I hope that the Lib Dems like it here. They could be staying a while.

Clegg had a wonderful chance to make a difference but he sold his arse for a sniff of power. Don’t be fooled by the false tears, they are all for himself. As for Danny Alexander…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘If(!) Clegg resigns, who's going to lead the Lib Dems??’ is closed to new replies.