Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • I went in a Mercedes E Class yesterday…
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

If we’re playing “show us your dashboard” I had one of these once.

my father in law had the top spec version of that.

Beautiful on the inside, hideous on the outside

A bit like me.

Cougar

Back to current times and Im looking at a Golf e for Mrs P and I get in one and suddenly Im transported back 10 years to my Skoda Octavia which I reckon still has the edge on the current VW interiors.

I don’t really get what VW are doing. It’s been a few years since I last sat in a Passat but they were pricing a couple of grand higher than equivalent cars and the dashboard looked like it had escaped from the 90s.

Cougar

my father in law had the top spec version of that.

Beautiful on the inside, hideous on the outside

It was a strange beast, fo sho. I bought it in “I have to buy something today or I’m screwed” circumstances and it had the honour of being the least worst vehicle I’d viewed that weekend.

I grew to really like it, not least because you can’t see it’s Faragey face when you’re behind the wheel. It was a proper motorway muncher, superbly comfortable, I’ve not driven anything else before or since that would cover as much ground without me needing to take a break to stretch my legs. It was tail-happy as hell though, you breathed at it wrong and you were going sideways.

anagallis_arvensis

Trilby and string-backed driving gloves out of shot!

Exactly, it had a button to put the air con (which didnt work) in degrees F for full ukip mode!!

Its the only car I have had that made me laugh every time I sat in it!!!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Im looking at a Golf e for Mrs P

Wait…what?

Are you cutting DrP’s grass?

TiRed

I go in them all the time. Never in the front. Why do you want a taxi?

matt_outandabout

My dad bought a new Rover SD1 when I was 8 – at that age the interior looked like something out of a sci-fi movie

Pffft, we had two estate and one hatch BX. Techno dash for the win, the first one being particularly odd if I remember correctly.
    null

MrOvershoot

matt_outandabout

Pffft, we had two estate and one hatch BX. Techno dash for the win, the first one being particularly odd if I remember correctly.

Oh god it all comes flooding back, I had a 85 BX estate. The worlds creakiest plastic on the switches and the non cancelling indicators.
    Beautiful ride though.

slackalice
    Free Member

This was one of my most favourite dashboards that’s if the link works…

https://images.app.goo.gl/HC5XCcuMpZThzjEX9

Nope…

Dash

Not that way either

I doubt if this works either

Give up

Cougar

Here you go:

null

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you sir 😁🙏

Now, won’t be difficult to guess the motor!

FB-ATB

Make & model easy. Variant I’d say Sprint.

reinswood
    Free Member

Ah yes the dolly sprint nice interior, quite a sharp saloon in it’s day always wanted one not the most reliable though…….as for cheap effortless speed with a magic carpet ride try a lexus ls400

prettygreenparrot

E-Class. Used to get given those as loaners when I took my MBs in for service. Like driving a comfortable bus.

Wouldn’t take one now if it was offered as a gift. Compared to any electric car I’ve driven it’s like driving a noisy, smelly slug.

Having said that, the E-Class I really liked was the one that the chauffeurs who’d occasionally pick me up to go to the airport drove. Mercedes E-Class circa 2003

hodgynd
    Free Member

Had both an S class & E class merc last year after someone side swiped our Audi ..( hire replacements )
    The s-class had a fantastic interior but was too ” big ” for the narrow country roads around here ..the E class was ” cheap ” by comparison ..
    I wouldn’t have either in place of our Allroad ..

v8ninety

If we’re talking dashboards of our previous motors, I was jealous of the lot of you when driving my first car; any dashboard at all would have been an improvement!

Although ‘car’ is also stretching it a bit 🙄 seemed a good idea at the time…

paulx
    Free Member

Our Classy E Class interior … in Mountain Biking mode…

CountZero

The interior could at one time have been described as functional, now it just smells of mold, off milk and dog shit.

Is it a Motability car? The great majority of the ones I drive smell like that.
    And some are only a year or so old…
    We did have a repossessed car in that was indescribably filthy, it stank like a kitchen waste bin on a hot day…
    Regards Merc interiors, the latest A-Class cars have a completely digital display, using a screen that runs the full width of the dash. Really nicely designed, they’re lovely to drive as well, but the seats…
    I had to take one to Cribbs Causeway in Bristol for a replacement windscreen, which is an hours drive, and after twenty minutes I was fidgeting around trying to get comfy, and by the time I got to Bristol my bum was so numb I was glad to go and sit in Maccy D’s for two hours!

Lionheart
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

Planing to get down to one dial/instrument and three switches in latest rebuild..

slackalice
    Free Member

Bob on with the Dolly Sprint 😁 Great driving position, entertaining cornering or roundabouts in the wet and the engine needed a few not so subtle mods to keep it running 😉

@lionheart
    – I’m going Lotus 7?

devbrix
    Free Member

Mk2 XR2

Blimey, Kryton57 that brought back a few memories. Was heartbroken when a scallie nicked it and stove it into a wall.

Gunz
    Free Member

@paulx , I thoroughly recommend you get a cheap banger for the bikes, it would be a lot easier than putting in the boot liner/seat cover/bike cover/kit boxes/extra car mats. If your vehicle clashes so much with your activities one of them is wrong.

jkomo

I find MB interiors tasteless and gaudy I’m afraid. A million miles from the classic interiors above. Less really is more.
    It’s like the design chief has gone home early and said to his team as grabs his coat ‘just make it rocket shaped, brushed silver, and put a blue LEDon it’. Terrible.
    Note- I’m assuming they all look like the A class. If not I am talking bollocks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve only owned 6 cars 2*60s, 2*80s, 2*05s, never given the interior any thought bar the stupidness of the 05 mini.

nasher
    Free Member

Gotba free upgrade to a 300hp v6 amg e class a few days last year. Lovely car although the dash was a bit gimmicky… but so smooth fast and quiet… until u put it in sport mode.

Still took over 6 hours to do a 4 hr journey tho

bails

, I thoroughly recommend you get a cheap banger for the bikes, it would be a lot easier than putting in the boot liner/seat cover/bike cover/kit boxes/extra car mats. If your vehicle clashes so much with your activities one of them is wrong.

The thing with that is that for lots of us, driving to go mtbing might be the longest drives we regularly do.
    I don’t get to ride much at the moment, but if I do it normally involves about 4 hours of driving to get there and back.
    I’d rather do that in a comfy car.

paulx
    Free Member

, I thoroughly recommend you get a cheap banger for the bikes, it would be a lot easier than putting in the boot liner/seat cover/bike cover/kit boxes/extra car mats. If your vehicle clashes so much with your activities one of them is wrong.

Nah …it’s only a car! Actually not really a problem to load it up. Takes less than 5 mins.

Press button to drop rear seats, boot liner lives in the boot anyway, front wheel off in about 10 seconds, bike rear end – wheel and dirty bits of bike are covered my bike bag, put bike in car and stick my £5 Aldi seat cover on and rubber floor mat in.

All my riding kit lives in two plastic boxes so just shove them in and ready to go.

With both wheels off it will go in the boot with the rear seats up.

BadlyWiredDog

I properly dislike really swank car interiors, they make me uneasy. It’s like the automotive equivalent of ‘nervous living’ where people furnish their homes with white fabric sofas and incredibly expensive matching Axminster carpets then insist on steam-cleaning you from head to foot before you’re allowed into the house where red wine and chocolate is unconditionally banned.

Stick me in something like a Merc and I spend the whole journey terrified that I’m somehow going to mark the interior by looking at it funny. I’d rather have a car that drives really well with a functionally comfortable but spartan interior than gte caught up in the whole ‘nice place to be’ thing.

julians
    Free Member

Minimalist

7 dash

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Mine was a Capri yes. It was the cleanest mk3 I’d ever seen and never went wrong once. Unfortunately I sold it before the market exploded and I’m not willing to get back in at current prices.

Also a big Capri fan, I had three and can remember the registration, I can’t even remember the car I drive today. Electrical niggles and needing a reliable car for work saw me selling my 280 just before the boom😩

Edukator
    Free Member

Back in the mid 80s. Anyone thinking of commenting on my dress should know I’ve heard it all before. Apparently what was trendy in France at the time wasn’t trendy in Birmingham. The rev counter was useful to learn by ear at what point it was likely to go bang, and the wildly inaccurate speedo a legal requierment. The temperature gauge useful with a front rad and tiny electric fan. The rest was just enough to make it go and pass an MOT. No reverse stop confused anyone else who drove it. It had the rotational dynamics of a spinning top. The MOT tester described it as **** dangerous but couldn’t think of a reason to fail it. Good for a national championship or two.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Auto test special! Have you got it? Do you still Autotest? I was so keen thirty years ago… my old man was an autotest ace and I was ok..
    And like those garage doors.

Lionheart
    Free Member

@slackalice a 1950 Dellow Mk1

@julians
    neat set up there on that 7 but I’m clearly too old as struggle with digi dashes

View post on imgur.com

Below my fav dash, wasn’t keen on RS2000 steering column (stalks etc..) but dash, for me just right.

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘I went in a Mercedes E Class yesterday…’ is closed to new replies.