Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • I wanna buy a touring bike. Help!!!!
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I honestly never thought it would be this hard. Initially wanted a Kona Sutra- but the whole country has sold out (if anyone has a size 60cm to sell- LET ME KNOW!! :-). Then looked at Paul Hewitt, Thorn and Condor but their lead times are over a month, sometimes two. Now, out of desperation, I'm looking at the Ridgeback Panorama, but I've got to be honest it's not really setting me alight. AAAARRGH! What to do? My budget's around the £1000 mark (with front and rear racks fitted), and I want a complete, off the peg bike rather than build up a frame (I'm clearly quite lazy). Help!!

EDIT: With drop bars! 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXUJSL/uncle-john-ultegra-sl

Then fit a rack on the back.

If you're going to be heavily laden, swap the fork for one that will take low riders.

I built mine from a frame with 29er wheels, guards and discs though.

Or go here:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/complete-bikes/touring-bikes

STATO
    Free Member

I just got a Surly Long Haul Trucker on C2W. They are £1000 but dont come fitted with pannier racks or mudguards, tho £50/60 should sort that out. Very nice it is too.

shermer75
    Free Member

Have you found somewhere that sells them complete? I couldn't find anywhere!

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi anotherdeadhero, I checked out that Evans link, it looks like all the appropriate bikes have sold out of my size. Tahnsk tho!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

how much you carrying ?

shermer75
    Free Member

Everything! 😉 Eventually want to cycle to Morocco, camping all the way. Haven't weighed it all yet, but I reckon it'll be around the 20-25kg mark.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

After seeing Mark Beaumont the other week I've been looking around at some dedicated tourers.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker seems to be the dogz, if you've not got the bucks for a Koga Miyata that is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

obviously ill be wearing one set of clothes at any one time but
    *cycling kit*
    2x fs260 shorts
    2x cycling jerseys
    2x underarmour warmwear vests
    3x socks
    1 x polartech fleece
    1 x arm warmers
    1 x leg warmers
    2 x buffs
    1 x overshoes
    1 x gridlock waterproof
    1 x waterproof shorts
    1 x spd shoes
    *casual kit*
    Sandals(probably stored outwith the bags)
    1x packable columbia shorts
    2x tee shirts
    1 x swimming shorts/goggles
    *Cooking*
    Camping Gaz Twister piezo
    cv270 canister
    non stick nesting alu pans
    ti spork
    leatherman blast
    matches
    Iodine Tabs
    *sleeping*
    Vaude Taurus 2 {on top of rack in dry bag}
    Alpkit wee arric {on top of rack in dry bag}
    Karrimor synthetic global traveler 1100(18cms/30cms)[in pannier in dry bag which is also pillow]
    *toiletries*
    1 x tub chamois cream
    1 x small toothpaste
    1 x fold up toothbrush from the flight
    1 x soap and scrubing net thing
    1 x travel towel
    *luxuries*
    1x mp3 player/small speakers
    1x book
    1x tarp strapped onto the top of everything for use if we dont fancy the tent or for storing kit under during the night in heavy rain
    1x tool kit and small selection of nuts and bolts for panniers , brakes etc
    1x small deterrant lock

Edric64
    Free Member

A classic Dawes Galaxy should do the job full price is £1150 but I expect you could get it for close to your grand budget and it's lovely Reynolds 631

wwaswas

your grass is a bit out of control…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It was more an indication of what else you could be looking for, than 'here is some stock' but still:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/tesoro-traveller-classic-2010-touring-bike-ec020274

If you can stretch a bit

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/galaxy-2009-touring-bike-ec018627

If you can wait 9 days

The 2010 sutra is also due in on 13/06/10.

You could even search elsewhere for those 'dales. Or go to a cannondale dealer.

Edric64
    Free Member

Yep you can Spa cycles do them for £830 a bloody bargain!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks Edric 64! I was looking at those. Do you know anything about them? Any good?

STATO
    Free Member

Yup plenty of LHTs available from anyone that deals with Ison-Distribution (ie. Most shops). I got a 60cm 700c in black in 3 days through my LBS. They seem to be out of black but still have blue in stock, make sure you specify wheelsize tho as they also do the 60cm in 26" wheel, might be better if you want to do some offroad?

http://www.Ison-distribution.com for stock level details (they don't sell direct tho)

Edric64
    Free Member

I used an older Galaxy as a cross bike and it stood up to the 3 peaks with bog standard touring wheels
    Dawes have a reputation for solid no nonsense touring bikes

Edric64
    Free Member

Sorry I lied it's 631 not 853 I must look harder next time

TheTompy
    Free Member

Surly LHT is the one to go for. Excellent geometry for loaded touring, very comfortable, tough paint job and way cooler than a Dawes Galaxy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

60cm in 26" wheel, might be better if you want to do some offroad?

or tour outwith europe/usa

i figured it would be easy to get 700c touring tires in nz and auz(relitively western places….can only imagine the stans or china/india) – was wrong out side of main centers it was impossible.

shermer75
    Free Member

The 2010 Sutra is def sold out, I've spoken to Evans who the website is mistaken the distributor is not getting anymore in. Gutted! I'll have a look at those other ones tho…

shermer75
    Free Member

I'm gonna head to my LBS now and take a look at a LHT….

firestarter
    Free Member

ton had a lht and im sure he mentioned he was thinking of selling on a thread the other day. not sure on size but it was massive

Edric64
    Free Member

The Galaxy comes with guards ,a carrier and is made from Reynolds tubing not 4130

greenmeansgo
    Free Member

You're after a bike to carry loads of kit by the sounds of it. IMO this rules out the Planet X bike suggested and some of the lighter tourers which are more like Audax bikes.

I have a 2009 Sutra, and it's a really nice bike. However, for heavy touring there are some things to think about.

1. Gear ratios. I needed to swap the standard road triple chainset out for MTB gearing. Much better.
    2. Stopping power. Rim brakes are ok, but BB7 (road) are better. The Kona is pretty versatile in that it still has canti bosses so it gives you the option of using rim brakes in an emergency.

The Surly LHT is a bit odd looking but also a really nice bike to ride. Really stable but AFAIA your only option is rim brakes. The smaller frames are 26" wheels only, but 700c for the larger frames. Most places do them as a custom build I think, but they do tend to be that bit more expensive.

Galaxies are nice bikes and £800ish is a good price. I guess it depends on whether you're set on disc brakes or not. The Galaxy has (IMO) more appropriate gearing and decent components but think about whether you're happy with Cantilever brakes down a steep hill with a fully loaded tourer. Consider the stopping power in the wet.

I'd hold out to try the Sutra if you have time. It's not perfect, but pretty close. Try as many as you can before buying as always.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*scoffs*

I had 70kgs on my uncle john yesterday. Two 25kg bags of compost, and two 10kg bags of charcoal. Granted I was only doing 3 miles …

Interestingly the rack is only rated to 25kg, and I've chopped half of it off to get round the BB7 caliper, but it seems to work fine.

greenmeansgo
    Free Member

🙄
    Sure, you can get away with lots of things that a bike's not designed to do, but the OP was after a touring bike – in my mind that includes properly mounted front and rear racks designed to carry loads. The 2010 Sutra has a sensibly placed rear disc mount between the chain and seat stays which doesn't get in the way of the rack.

Funnily enough I was recommended a cross bike when I was looking for my tourer. Having to bodge things to fit full length mudguards and racks to turn a cross bike into a tourer isn't the best solution IMO. Better to buy a tourer.

Good effort carrying that much on your UJ though!

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I was looking at the Panorama which is a great road based heavy touring bike but I went for a Kaffenback in the end as don't think I will do any heavy touring.

Tiger6791

Want steel?, want niche?, want beautiful British craftmenship

Then I give you Mercian

trail_rat
    Free Member

bodge a what now – my jake had full mounts … just didnt need guards

shermer75
    Free Member

greenmeansgo -thanks for the input! There is def no way of getting a Kona Sutra now unless I buy second hand- the distributor and all the shops are completely sold out. I am gutted, as that would have been my ideal bike! Just tried a Surly Cross Check and a Ridgeback Voyage (similar to the Panorama, loads cheaper!) and I have to admit the Ridgeback was more comfortable. They didn't have an LHT built up. Gonna look seriously at the Dawes Galaxy now. Boring looking, but hey? What can you do? 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, no bodging to get full length guards and low riders on my UJ. I only had to bodge the rear rack becuase I'm too tight to buy a compatible one …

TBF though, for proper touring its nice to have a proper tourer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sold alot of galaxys ultras – the only complaint i ever had was from a chap riding it to his work not touring …bit short gearing he said…. WELL DUUUUH you bought a touring bike tht likes to be loaded

repaired alot of old galaxys too … boring but functional !

shermer75
    Free Member

Does anybody know anywhere in London that stocks Dawes Galaxys? Evans only has '09 stock…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Evans only has '09 stock…

is there something wrong with 09 stock? (bearing in mind i havnt looked at spec as i havnt sold them for 2 years now) i assume they will be knocking a chunk off the price for old stock no ?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

No 60cm left …

ton

that mercian is gorgeous……….. 8)

shermer75
    Free Member

Hey Ton, do you have a Kona Sutra for sale?

ton

no, sorry mate

thouht about selling the LHT, but changed my mind….they are very comfy.

Edric64
    Free Member

Then I give you Mercian

Not on a grand budget he wont!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I wanna buy a touring bike. Help!!!!’ is closed to new replies.