Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • who is the best cyclist of the modern era…………..?
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

on the back of the best football thread
    so who do YOU think is best
    .ROAD = Cancellara
    .OFFROAD = Tinker

Talkemada
    Free Member

Pele.

Rochey
    Free Member

Cancellara is a good punt but for sheer class over 3 weeks Lance.

Legend of all time, in my eyes Sean Kelly!!!

higgo
    Free Member

Depends what you mean but 'modern era' but of the people I've watched rather than read about…

Road: Armstrong
    Off: Giove

RichPenny
    Free Member

It's me, isn't it?

peteimpreza

Well I am watching Paris-Roubaix at the moment and I have to say Cancellara.

Awesome.

donsimon
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member

Well I am watching Paris-Roubaix at the moment and I have to say Cancellara.

Awesome.

+1, he is a bit special.

Road: Paco Mancebo
    Off road: Paco Mancebo.

keavo
    Free Member

bernard hinualt, could win any road event in style. maybe not modern era though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hinault rates high for me as I remember watching him and Lemond battling it out on the TDF when C4 had proper music 😉
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyOzaf7EEM
    As for the best now, haven't a clue, but Armstrong is without a doubt the most iconic.

ratherbeintobago

Cancellara is a good punt but for sheer class over 3 weeks Lance.

LA, for most of his career, had a season geared up to one thing & one thing only – the TdF. While he's iconic, and winning so many TdFs on the bounce is an incredible achievement, I'd say that in the big picture, he's not in the same league as Cancellara. Or Contador.

Andy

epicyclo

Lance and Evans. Both good on and off road.

Remember Lance plummeting off the road in that crash in the TdF, he stayed on the bike where others would have crashed, and rejoined the road seamlessly.

Evans was a classy mtb rider before he succumbed to the attraction of the bigger money on the road.

zaskar
    Free Member

Me!

(wakes up from dream world)

Lance on the road bike for his ability and age but Contador is the best at present time.

Mtb? Emily Batty -she's fit on the bike and off the bike.

Underrated- Cadel Evans for road.

Best mtber of the 2 decades – Peaty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I mention Tomac here? Won in XC, DH, BMX and road. Pretty impressive all rounder!

Also, surely Nico Vouilloz deserves a mention for all those DH titles?

warton
    Free Member

Personally I'd say Fabians not there yet. if he can learn how to climb he could well be the greatest ever, not just of the modern era though. His ride today was one of the most incredible rides ever seen I think, his speed was mindblowing

ash

Road: no idea
    Off-road: Remy Absalon

keavo
    Free Member

cancellara is very impressive, scarily powerful but not the complete package. hinault could time trial like him, dominate a tour like armstrong and was a hard as nails classic rider like kelly. i don't think there is anyone around like that at the moment. there was some belgain bloke before him who was quite good.

pacemaker
    Free Member

off road.. Tim Gould/David Baker

firestarter
    Free Member

i used to like watching ullrich, pantani and virenque. lance is top dog tho of recent years. these days as much as i dont really like him contador takes some beating. cancellara is looking good tho and can decend very very well worth watching just to see him going downhill 😉

brakes
    Free Member

where's your patriotism??
    it's Peataaaay

ton

road, indurain
    offroad, tomac

firestarter
    Free Member

i dont watch off road cycling at all. am i bad ;-(

njee20
    Free Member

It's all very well saying people like Hinault because they won tours/classics/TTs, but modern racing is a totally different game. Mercx won all three jerseys in the TdF, I'd place a substantial bet that no one will ever equal that, it's not because no one's as good, but the sport has just changed.

I'd say Julian Absalon off road.

Contador on the road, although Cancellara is a definite contender to the throne, but lets be honest, he can just time trial phenomenally, he wins everything from solo breaks, which whilst stunning to watch isn't going to win him anything beyond a one day race.

RepacK
    Free Member

Sauser isnt bad – I wonder what he would be like on a road bike?..

Edric64
    Free Member

But Peaty competes in a small very niche discipline so can't be classed as the best in the modern era.I think you need to be an all rounder which also counts out Armstrong for the only good for 3 weeks argument already stated Sean Yates any one? 😯

ash

But Peaty competes in a small very niche discipline so can't be classed as the best in the modern era.I think you need to be an all rounder

Remy Absalon

Look him up 😉

keavo
    Free Member

racing is different now, there a bunch of fannies who like to pick their race 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Define "modern" 😉

uplink
    Free Member

glupton/smee/goan/phoenix nights [or whatever he's called this week]

/end of thread

chameleon78
    Free Member

Lance – road
    sam hill – offroad (watch his champery race run on clay porters 'First' movie and I defy anyone to not watch in awe.)

mattsccm
    Free Member

it can't be Lance. Grantted he has won other things but mostly he's known for lots of tours. Very impressive but with a huge backing from his team etc. Notice he wasn't there today or last week. Its like suggesting Hoy. Great at his game but thats it. Probably no real road allrounder since Hinault. And Merckx before him. off road. Hmm well its too divided into chunks now so it would have to tbe Tomac who was good at most things. Can't see Peat doing well at a xc race or JA down hill.

shermer75
    Free Member

Who else?

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah i forgot lance wasnt any cop lol what was he 21/22 and world champ

voodoo_chile

got to be john tomac …outstanding and way ahead of his time , in my opinion steve peat is no where near the top

road either bernard hinault or mr armstrong — just amazing athletes

aP
    Free Member

I'd have to weigh up Cadel Evans and Andrei Tchmil – now there's a propr hard man

olie
    Free Member

Lance on the road, complete dominance for such a period of time at the tour and good at other stuff. Contador should be better now he's much younger but Armstrong would have spanked him only a few years ago(and might do at the tour this year?)

Off road? What about Chris Eatough. 24hr dominator and pretty good bike handler. And he's English!

dickydutch

Eatough's american isn't he?! Or was he born in England and reloacted?

ash

Can't see Peat doing well at a xc race or JA down hill

If you're talking about Julien Absalon there, and referring to my suggestion….

…I'm talking about his brother REMI ABSALON. Undoubtably one of the very best all-round off-road cyclists there is. He's No1 in the world at the (Euro-)Enduro discipline which is surely the best test of the all-round MTBer.
    http://vimeo.com/6253358

finbar
    Free Member

Another vote for Lance Armstrong. Not just a one trick pony:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/08/news/armstrong-wins-leadville-100_96668

aracer
    Free Member

Are we talking clean or drug-fuelled here? Any suggestions for the former?

mrmo
    Free Member

Contador on the road, although Cancellara is a definite contender to the throne, but lets be honest, he can just time trial phenomenally, he wins everything from solo breaks, which whilst stunning to watch isn't going to win him anything beyond a one day race.

Except that Cancellara has won the Tour du Suisse, Tour of Oman,etc.

Cancellara can time trial, and isn't the strongest climber, sounds like Indurain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘who is the best cyclist of the modern era…………..?’ is closed to new replies.