Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I think I saw a mink yesterday
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was on a walk down the Macclesfield Canal near Gurnett with the family and some friends yesterday. We saw a black ferret like animal doggy paddling down the side of the canal. It ran along the side of the canal for a bit too. It was very dark/black with very few markings/colourings and according to Wikipedia was about the right size/colour for a North American Mink. Combined with the steam engine we saw it was a pretty exciting little stroll 🙂

I’ll add piccies when my mate forwards them. Maybe we can have an “animals you were surprised to see” thread.

Dobbo

Kill it next time.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I used to do some work at a place on the banks of Loch Goil.

There was a whole family of them there. Not that shy, would often be seen on the rocks by the water.

Apparently they came from escapees from a local mink farm. Cause a few problems with the local wildlife I believe.

druidh
    Free Member

Vermin.

And they eat daffodils too!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We saw a stoat at Delamere yesterday..

Crappy iPhone pic, but you get the idea..

hels
    Free Member

And drive everywhere at 40mph.

rootes1

Apparently they came from escapees from a local mink farm. I believe.

and released by well meaning but dull animal rights bods.. yes set the animal free but don’t think about the damage a vicious top predator has on the wildlife….

bruneep

druidh – Member

Vermin.

And they eat daffodils too!

the bastids! who do I complain to?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

There are loads of them around , lots up on the ribble , they can be very vicious

stilltortoise
    Free Member

🙁

I thought we’d seen something unusual

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I used to see quite a few in Macc – I heard similar stories of them escaping from a farm/being liberated, but I’m not sure what the truth is.

Still, it’s nice animal to see, all the same.

fasthaggis

There are loads of them around , lots up on the ribble , they can be very vicious

Yup they can be nasty wee things ,a few spotted round near us.

Teeto

That is Weasely recognisable as a Stoat 🙂

IGMC

ChrisL

That is Weasely recognisable as a Stoat

Yup, weasles are stoatally different.

rootes1

That is Weasely recognisable as a Stoat
    Yup, weasles are stoatally different.

boom boom 😉 the old ones are the best.

rocketman
    Free Member

A random grey furball fell off a tree right in front of my face one night last week.

I was just riding along 🙂 when it came down fast enough to beat my blink reflex and gave a little whimper as it bounced off the top tube and brushed against my leg on its way to the ground.

Put your hand in front of your face that’s how close it was

hammerite
    Free Member

I saw one yesterday too. Was in my car crossing a tiny bridge near a brook, it ran across the road in front of me.

cranberry
    Free Member

A random grey furball fell off a tree right in front of my face one night last week.

Baby Drop Bear ?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Loads of mink along the Trent.. See them often.

They seem to have no fear of people and will swim across/wander right past you. Never tried to touch one though !

crankboy
    Free Member

Kill Them All , Mink not Stoats weasels or pine martens .

Mink are a total pest and have a devastating effect on wildlife as do pine martins but they are cute and native .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drop Bears? Scary!

Mink – Kill ’em.

druidh
    Free Member

Actually, some Pine Marten populations are getting out of control. They prey on Red Squirrel!

They also love both honey and peanut butter…

nickingsley
    Free Member

“stoat at Delamere” that’s great.

🙂

Pic isn’t bad at all.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I worked on a mink farm when I was a kid. They are the most vicious, antisocial, nutjob animals on the planet but it’s no good killing a wild one as another mink will just move into the vacated territory. The mink in residence will keep other minks away. BTW don’t get too close as they are related to the skunk family and fire a yellow pellet from their rear end (with suprising accuracy)and besides the horrendous stench, it bloody hurts.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I think I saw a mink yesterday’ is closed to new replies.