Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I now have Viewranger and a Garmin.
  • zippykona

How do I get them together to make beautiful routes?
    I have a Garmin account why can’t I view this?..https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/16059410
    Can I export the OS maps that I bought on Viewranger to my Garmin, what about all those magazine routes?
    It really is bewildering.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

No, viewranger maps are only on viewranger, the best you can do is create the route on viewranger then send it to the garmin via the new files section of the garmin file structure.

zippykona

I’ve downloaded Basecamp and Garmin Express is there anything else I need to download?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

What garmin are you using?

zippykona

Etrex 20x
    I think we are all so used to things all linking up through the air but this feels like going back in time.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yep, this is where I bow out I’m afraid. Edges etc I can help with but etrex and Garmin’s desktop software isn’t for me! Found express and basecamp to be utterly infuriating and never felt like I knew how they worked.

Marko

Get rid of all the Garmin software – utter pile of poo.

Use one of the many sites that have free OS maps to create a route and just save it as a GPX file. Dock the Garmin and drag the created file into your Garmin.

On Viewranger buy a ’tile’ of the OS map (of the GPX route) you created and use this as a backup when you get lost following the breadcrumb on the Garmin.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

In this age of modern communication this is what really baffles me. To EASILY plot a route and get it onto your Garmin device still requires a laptop or PC as far as I can see. Viewranger is great but trying to plot a route on a phone or tablet is so long winded. I know it’s easier to plot online but sometimes a wifi or mobile signal is either not available or too weak in some areas so plotting on the device is the only option. Then getting the route onto say an older etrex 30 is just as frustrating as you really need a pc to do that. It is possible to get it on via USB and a plethora of cables and menu selections but it really should be easier surely. Trying to plot a route on an iPad and transfer to Garmin is impossible as far as I can see!
    I really like Viewranger but are there better options out there?

jambalaya
    Free Member

ViewRanger is quite cool for editing routes with drag & drop of route points on phone/tablet. I often create a route in (say) bike hike and then edit in ViewRanger. I have an OS subscription for uk maps but bought the French ones in ViewRanger, great app imo. My Garmin gps is so old it doesn’t work with BaseCamp but its a good programme

tillydog
    Free Member

Get rid of all the Garmin software – utter pile of poo

I think Basecamp is OK, and use it a lot, but I can’t disagree with the general sentiment – I wouldn’t bother with Garmin Connect…

The easiest way to get a track onto the Etrex is to plug it into your PC and to copy (drag ‘n’ drop) a .gpx file into the \Garmin\gpx directory:

Viewranger should be able to generate a gpx track file (but I don’t know the details); Magazine routes are almost always available as gpx track files. In Basecamp, you can create a route, turn this into a track, then export it as a gpx file (seems to be more reliable than using ‘send to device’).

Something similar to this (but the directories are slightly different).

zippykona

It’s going back.
    I’m not the brightest of people when it comes to computers but I really don’t have a clue with this. The help videos feature a PC so that doesn’t help me.
    I did persevere and apparently upload an MBR route to it. Problem is I have no idea of how to find it on the device.
    Think I need a Gardim.

tillydog
    Free Member

Problem is I have no idea of how to find it on the device.

Have a look at this video (the Etrex 20 screen looks subtly different, but has the same menu options):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9XMSYHF0WE[/video]

Happy to try and talk you through it, but there WILL be a learning curve. Understand if you’ve already made your mind up 🙂

luff
    Free Member

Sell the garmin and get a wahoo elemnt. This is how simple it is to create a route.

1. Log in to strava (other route builders work too)

2. Create a route

3. Go to routes on the elemnt, done.

The simplicity is wonderful

zippykona

All I want is the most idiot proof way of following an mbr route.
    I have ordered an anti glare screen cover for my old phone and see how I get on with that.
    Can I follow other people’s routes on Strava?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I use ViewRanger with an 820.

• Plug Garmin in to Mac to charge it. Meanwhile…

iPad:

• Open ViewRanger, create new route with pencil.
    • Export route to GPX; sync with DropBox.

Back on the Mac:

• Copy the new GPX from DropBox to ‘New Files’ folder on Garmin.
    • Unplug Garmin, put it in ‘GPX’ mode*, select Nav>Courses, find the one you’ve just uploaded.

*GPX mode: https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-820

EDIT: I don’t know if this will work with an Etrex or not. Must be similar, though?

And, just saw your note about using the phone. I used ViewRanger to navigate on the bike for a while; I soon got bored of stopping to take it out of pocket, refresh the view, etc. The Garmin has the advantage of being small and always there on the bars. But I suppose you could do that with the phone too.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

… I find the route builder on Garmin Connect fine, too. I only use ViewRanger for OS maps and so that I can do it on the pad in front of the telly / in bed / whatever, instead of on the laptop which lives in my office.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I now have Viewranger and a Garmin.’ is closed to new replies.