Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • I done a photography website
  • grumm
    Free Member

It’s not quite finished yet but it’s getting pretty close I think. Main thing I need to do is add captions/titles to all the pics in the galleries. And I’ve been told the watermark is over the top 🙂

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad.

http://www.grahamwynnephoto.com/

j_me
    Free Member

You done it good (IMO) nice, clean and simple and shows off the pics well.

Dunno what you think but maybe too many photo’s on the front page slide show? I skipped though them all (some great pics BTW) but a lot of them and it might put people off exploring the rest of the site.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks j_me – someone else has suggested the same so I think I’ll try and pick around 15 of my best ones for the home page slideshow, and maybe remove the watermark completely on those….

the-muffin-man

Looks good, but If you want people to find you via google the front page isn’t very SEO friendly.

You need more descriptive text, mentioning areas your are prepared to work (towns in your area), what you do (commercial, private, studio). Address at the bottom in small text is useful too. Doesn’t have to be loads. But some is better than nothing!

Put local towns in your home page description too (the bit that displays at the top of the browser window), and relevant keywords – look at CRCs as an example. So if someone searches for photographer in “Anytown” you are likely to show up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Very nice mate. Would agree with the comment about the slideshow above.

The blog could maybe do with some categories, links, a subscription thing etc.

I’m currently working on something similar. Using a wordpress blog at the moment but would love to have something that looks as professional as yours.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks – SEO is something I need to look into more. I included a blog as I believe that is meant to be good for SEO if I keep it updated with stuff about photography and the local area etc. but I will try and add some stuff to the home page as well.

Part of the trouble is I’m not sure what kind of work I am looking for – ideally I would like to just sell/license landscape/architecture etc pics but I don’t know if there is really that big a market for that.

Handsomedog – cheers. Mine is also wordpress based – but I bought a template called photocrati which I have customised. It’s early days but it seems to mostly do what I want and was pretty easy to set up. They are meant to be adding a cart system in their next revision.

You can subscribe to the blog with the rss button on the RHS but maybe I need to make that more clear. I will add some categories etc when I add some more posts, ta.

pjbarton
    Free Member

nice photos – clean looking site
    dodgy logo – did a photographer design it? 😉

the-muffin-man

A Blog is good, but Google looks at a homepage first and spiders down from there.

If you want to keep it clean-looking the text needn’t be intrusive, just small along the bottom is fine. Make sure its HTML though and not a graphic.

the-muffin-man

Part of the trouble is I’m not sure what kind of work I am looking for – ideally I would like to just sell/license landscape/architecture etc pics but I don’t know if there is really that big a market for that.

SEO/Google wise, this is the problem with just having rotating galleries. If someone is searching for say ‘Lancaster Scenery Print’ they would never find images on your site as the photos don’t have descriptions.

How complex you go obviously depends on how seriously you want to take it. If you only want to sell a few prints now and again it doesn’t really matter, but if you are looking to turn it into a business its something you should look into.

Apologies if this sounds picky!

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I know the logo isn’t amazing – anyone want to design me one? For free obviously. 😛

Thanks muffin man – will sort that. I plan to add a function to buy directly, and the pics will have numbers/captions soon. Not sure yet whether this will be selling a few prints here and there or a proper business, but as things are not looking overly rosy at work I would like to try and make it do something, even if it’s just a little extra income.

Picky is good btw, cheers.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I bought a template called photocrati which I have customised. It’s early days but it seems to mostly do what I want and was pretty easy to set up. They are meant to be adding a cart system in their next revision.

That sounds ideal – I might have to check that out.

You might be interested in this website, I think its probably the way you might want to be heading: http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com/index.html

mossimus
    Free Member

Having problems viewing in IE9, only pics I can see is on the galleries front page.

ART

No techy knowledge here at all, but overall think it looks rather excellent. Nice one. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Yup Handsomedog that is the kind of thing I am aiming towards. His section of published work gives a good idea of the kind of people I could be trying to sell to – nice one.

mossimus – use a better browser? 😛 Sorry, thanks for the info, will check it out on my gf’s laptop.

Thanks very much ART, want to buy any more prints? 🙂

Bunnyhop

As a complete technophobe, I think its wonderful and am really interested in purchasing print No 3 on your home page.
    I just have to convince hubby that having someone else’s work on our wall is a good thing.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Cant see it at work as its saying its a risk?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Constructive criticism:
    PRACTICAL STUFF (needs to be fixed)
    Your graduated grey area (below the header) doesn’t centre, stays ranged left.
    The graduated grey area doesn’t extend with content i.e. the blog extends beyond the containing area.

OPINIONATED STUFF (ignore if you like)
    – No need for two contact email links throughout lose the vertical one on the left.
    – The type used for the menu items looks too heavy, if it’s ‘bold’ i’d drop it down to medium or regular.
    – Logo: I can’t place where I’ve seen it before but it’s a rip off isn’t it?
    – Remove the watermarks, you might find that they occasionally get ripped off but they are overall I think they are detrimental to your work.
    – Agree with the comment above about limiting the number of images on the home page, after all you want people to explore the site and find what they identify with. I wouldn’t go for more than ten and might even be tempted to use just a single image.

REALLY OPINIONATED PERSONAL PREFERENCE STUFF (really ignore this it’s just what i’d prefer)
    – I’d lose the graduated area, it’s unnecessary and adds nothing.
    – The story about the hotel and being contacted via flickr is nice but it sounds amateurish. I think the photos are better than that and you could be aiming a bit higher.

Overall it’s pretty good just needs polishing off.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The story about the hotel and being contacted via flickr is nice but it sounds amateurish. I think the photos are better than that and you could be aiming a bit higher.

I’d agree with that. I’ve already had this criticism of my blog. It needs to be more like a CV, demonstrating your prowess, and less “wow, someone actually wanted to use my images”!.

As I have so many of your pics saved into my favourites on Flickr you’ll already know I really like them. Have you tried approaching any of the organisations who own the buildings that you’ve photographed (I’m thinking in particular stuff like your picture of the slug in newcastle) to see if they would be interested in buying/displaying your images? Might be a good source of cash and/or advertising.

Doug
    Free Member

Not much going on if you have got scripts blocked by default and nothing telling you why.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks Bunnyhop – I will work out a few example prices for you if you like, with STW discount 🙂

scottyjohn – not sure if there’s much I can do about that sorry. There’s nothing dodgy on there.

Muppetwrangler – that’s really useful thanks. I haven’t consciously ripped off any logos but it’s not the most original idea. 🙂

Will definitely lose the watermarks at least on the home page, and put less images in the slideshow. I’ve changed the gradient to just a grey body background, or do you reckon it would look better if all the bg was just plain white?

I know what you mean about the blog – tbh I wasn’t expecting people to read it and just thought it would be good to get some relevant keywords in there. But I will try and make it more professional sounding 😉

Handsomedog – cheers – no not yet but that is on my list of things to do.

Doug – right clicking is disabled on the galleries by default to try and stop people saving pics – not sure if I can change that. I have turned it back on for the rest of the site though, thought I had done that already. Ta.

This is great stuff everyone.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Oh and assuming that you’re keeping your Flickr account ensure that you disable downloading and add a link to your website from the description of each image!

Good luck with it. I’m going to have a browse later and may be in touch!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve changed the gradient to just a grey body background, or do you reckon it would look better if all the bg was just plain white?

Just had a another look and for me the solid grey is better but I would probably go for the same pale grey as the background colour. It’s only my preference but I would keep the site as visually uncomplicated as possible to allow the photography to dominate. Give it a go and see if you like it, you can always change it back.

Just noticed one other thing that I’m not keen on. The next/previous arrows on the gallery sometimes butt up against the edges of the images. Might be an idea to define a maximum size of image area and set the arrows a minimum distance outside of that. Currently when they fall within they look ok and when they fall well outside of the image they look ok but when they hover on or around the edge they are a bit jarring.

Again, comments are just opinion, feel free to ignore.

stumpy01

Looks good Grumm…………

Just wondering whether you have considered Photium?

Dead easy to set-up including a shopping cart thing and there’s news/blog sections etc.
    The guy that runs it is very quick to respond to any queries you have and fix/resolve and problems you have.

Bunnyhop

Thanks Bunnyhop – I will work out a few example prices for you if you like, with STW discount

Cool.

A print on canvas sounds good, but if too expensive I’m happy with an ordinary print that can be framed.

I’m going to send this thread to mr bunnyhop now to see what he thinks.

spacemonkey

Thanks – SEO is something I need to look into more. I included a blog as I believe that is meant to be good for SEO if I keep it updated with stuff about photography and the local area etc. but I will try and add some stuff to the home page as well.

Hmm, not quite – there’s a fair bit more to it than that.

If you want to get known in online photography circles then you’ve got to get your name posted on similar blogs/article submission sites/forums etc. The better the reputation you build (on sites that are properly established and have high traffic), the more chance you have of driving people to your own site. Just get out there and post comments, articles, etc wherever you can – and include a link to your site (where appropriate of course).

spacemonkey

+1 Photium

One of my friends has been using it for nearly 2 years now, and the guy behind it is very switched on and helpful. Plus he sorts out all the prints etc too.

spacemonkey

Ah, Bunnyhop – your presence has reminded me that I need to ask you about your bags (Xmas present). Will PM you shortly.

* Sorry for the hijack Grumm

grumm
    Free Member

Bunnyhop, there is a cheap canvas option – it’s not as good as the more expensive ones in terms of the ‘build quality’ but the print is good. How big were you thinking?

Someone else mentioned about the arrows – I think with this template the only way I can sort it is to crop the images differently, but I will have a go.

spacemonkey – I realise that’s not all there is to SEO – I have a lot of reading to do on that subject.

Have looked at Photium but I already have some hosting so this worked out quite a bit cheaper. I will have a bit more of a look though, ta.

Bunnyhop

Spacemonkey – I’m sure grumm won’t mind. Everyone tries to help each other out around here 🙂

grumm – The photo I love is No2 of 23 in the plant section. Can you change the colour of the orange flower to raspberry red? Odd ask I know, but I’m a complete novice when it comes to photography?

I’ll try and P.M you later or tomorrow about size, colour and options.

Kevevs
    Free Member

can’t open any pics on Mac os 10.3.9, but i guess that’s my problem for being backwards! I’ll just imagine pics of bikes on sofas or upside down, or in untidy garden patios with shonky fencing?

Kevevs
    Free Member

can’t open any pics on safari Mac os 10.3.9, but i guess that’s my problem for being backwards! I’ll just imagine pics of bikes on sofas or upside down, or in untidy garden patios with shonky fencing?

lodious
    Free Member

Nice work Grumm, I think it looks really good. If I had to make a comment, it would be that I find the transitions on the homepage sideshow a little bit severe, and on a low spec. machine (Ion 330) they looked a little jerky. Other than that, looked really good.

Wish you all the best with the business, I’m sure it’s going to do well.

grumm
    Free Member

Bunnyhop yup, I’ve had a go at changing the colour, looks quite nice I think. I’ll send it over tomorrow for you to have a look at if that’s ok. Got your email btw, sorry not replied yet.

Kevevs – I’m not sure why it would be doing that, bit concerning.

Anyone else tried the site on IE9 or Mac OS 10.3.9 and having issues?

Cheers lodious – I noticed it looked a bit jerky on Firefox for some reason – I’ve changed the transition style now, better?

lodious
    Free Member

Yeah…looking good!

leffeboy

On seo, as the muffin man says you need to add more descriptive text. Search engines can’t do anything with a picture if they can’t work out what it is.

Descriptive filenames would help a lot rather than the random series of characters

Blogs are shockingly effective at getting pictures indexed. It really helps to link further back into your galleries from the blog as that spreads search engine love straight deeper into the galleries rather than having to trickle down from the home page.

Use descriptive links such as see more of my landscapes here rather than see more of my landscapes here (one of our galleries that gets found a lot is simply called ‘nice landscapes’)

Your pictures are fantastic, they force me to keep my camera in may bag all the time now just in case :-).

leffeboy

And don’t let the blog drop. I see lots of people start blogs on phot sites and give up after a month when it doesn’t seem to work. It takes months but stick with it and remember to link back into galleries rather than adjust embedding photos in the blog

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks leffeboy. This is all really useful stuff, wasn’t expecting such good feedback. 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

Dont take it personal just constructive crit – not reading the above comments but.

frame in a frame in a frame doesn’t set the photo up in the best space – use of negative space is important but I feel this is too impacting

the grey is a bit too light for my liking and because of this looks a bit dated – a darker shade would look a lot cleaner and timeless

your logo using grey and black doesn’t flow very well – id standardise the colour of think about how they are working with each other

not sure why photo and graphy need separating with a box? cliche logo thats been used the world over

have a look at these wordpress themes for inspiration – some are dire and some are good but all are customisable

http://themeforest.net/searches?term=photography&type=files

re seo-
    have a read up google place marker helps and crudely choosing a relitive domain name will help ie “weddingphotographylondon.co.uk”
    repeat the keywords and descriptive words as many times as possible on your site without just blagging text for the sake of it.. and make sure the coding is clean with few errors – submit sitemaps to search engines and try and get some referral links setup from other site to and from or just having your domain name in your signature of your forum posts or profile…

leffeboy

Question for you grumm. How much tweaking of the colours do you do post processing? Most of the pictures I take look quite flat in comparison.

redthunder
    Free Member

I quite like it.

Bit grey IMO

The DOG is far to heavy and distracting.

Zone Alarm whines about this being suspicious site.

Are you using Word Press ?

and I must get around to flogging some of my pix.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘I done a photography website’ is closed to new replies.