Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • How’s your 2020 mileage looking? Plus 2021 targets
  • thenorthwind

Remarkably similar to @corroded. Just ticked over 4500 miles. Not bad considering no commuting since March. Had no goal for the year, but having seen where I’m at, it would be nice to get to a nice round 5000. If I do a festive 500, I only need to find another 150 miles or so from somewhere.

Since last year was only 3850, I’m pretty happy.

boblo
    Free Member

We’ve had a pretty good year mileage wise as it’s our first ‘non working’ (note: not ‘retired’, that’s for old people 😉).

I’ll finish up north of 7k cycle miles, 3k of them on the tandem with no trips which always bumps up the numbers and 1.5k running miles. I’m just finishing up a completely arbitrary OCDish 12×12 target of 12 half marathon’s + 12 cycle centuries. No full marathon’s this year 😕.

I’m happy with that as I didn’t start running/riding until April after breaking my neck last year.

2021? Moar! 😁

jimdubleyou

Worked out how to split from veloviewer – I’ve done 1200kms on the trainer this year.

🙁

Paul-B

I’m on 1975, target is 2020 (see what I did there?) Didn’t have a target, it’s just how it’s gone!

Most of it has been on my single speed MTB around my local trails (Cannock). Working at home most of the year has opened up a lot more riding opportunities that I didn’t have last year. This year has on the whole been crappy in many ways but rather than dwell on the misery you need to focus on the positives, however insignificant they might seem.

mildbore

2500km gravel bike miles
    2000km on mtb, all local cos lockdown+5 Peaks rides in Jan and Feb, unrecorded cos it’s not about distance covered. So about 4600 total.
    Next year? More trips away and more Peaks day rides,more riding with mates,trying to get what I’ve missed this year

ianbradbury

4000 km and 40000 m climbed. Plus some unknown amount of dog walking.

tenfoot

At the start of the year I set myself a target of 230 hours of riding. Due to three months of furlough, plus working from home since July, I am now on 260 hours, 2941 miles and 168,366 ft of climbing. (Around 60/40 MTB/Gravel)

I’m now aiming to clear 3000 miles this year, which will be the most I’ve done in a year for quite some time.

footflaps

10,253 km / 74,586m so far in 2020, will probably hill 11,000 before the year end.

Aiming for 15,000 km next year, as 2020 was the first full year back cycling after 12 years off….

twistedpencil

5,400km with 50,800m of climbing. Had planned to do 6,000km this year but commuting was a big chunk of that, then lost my mojo in July, August and only got my act together because of the 100day challenge.

I’ve clocked up 2,400km since the start of that and 20,600m of climbing so I’m very happy with that.

Next year I’m thinking of setting a target of 10 Everest’s for climbing, however most of my riding is pretty flat, so I may rethink this target in the next couple of weeks and stick to distance 🙂

w00dster

Poor year for me, I’ll hit 6000 miles by the end of the year, currently sat at 5833 with 352,149 feet of elevation gain.
    Missed out road riding break in Girona, and since October my motivation to ride round in the slop at the local woods is pretty close to zero….
    I don’t use Strava for all my rides, but I’m normally between 8000 and 10,000 miles per year, heavily weighted towards road, but with a good sprinkling of mountain bike rides.
    Need to sort the motivation out, I used to enjoy riding solo in most weathers, but now even if its a bit moist I’m making my mental excuses and having another coffee and biscuits instead. I trained reasonably hard from December 2019 through to April, expecting to race in April, as soon as the race season was cancelled I just went into can’t be bothered mode.
    I have a Girona trip provisionally pencilled in for early Summer, that at least gives me something to target….And a nice new shiny bike arriving in February….hopefully that should help get me back out.

sirromj

2200+ miles this year vs 3000+ miles last year. Hadn’t taken much notice and expected there to be a larger difference due lack of commuting this year. Distance diminished since Summer to the point where an 8 mile ride seems like effort. Barely ridden anywhere other than from doorstep. Only non doorstep MTB was Brechfa in March right before lockdown#1.

duncancallum

2200 miles and 210k feet in 150 rides

Was aiming for 3k but stopped commuting so lost 65 miles per week.

259hrs

Mainly mtb with some gravel

Caher

4500kms and 25000m climbed – mix of road and MTB. Will get 5k by end of year as I always ride a lot at Christmas. Pretty poor compared to some though.

nobbingsford

So far I’ve managed:
    1024 miles
    with 35,062ft of climbing
    in 97 hours
    over 53 rides.

Wanted to get to 1500 miles this year, but spending 2 months renovating a bathroom and then not bothering my arse to get properly back into it hasn’t helped!

Not to worry, next year will be along in a minute!

Agree with others above: I have no idea where some people find the time to do several thousands of miles in a year. They must either not work, or not spend much time with family?

johnx2
    Free Member

2765 km 73,639 m climbing

Less distance than previous years because pretty much all mtb, mainly riding from the door as I live near some decent riding. I roadbike and some xbike to get fit, and zero events means minimal incentive to do that, so just riding for fun. Paying for it though as finding it harder to keep up with younger fitter friends. It would have been less still but travel restrictions have kept me away from the surf.

13thfloormonk

OCDish 12×12 target of 12 half marathon’s + 12 cycle centuries.

Nice one! Once I was back to fitness I decided I would aim for a century a month. I’ve not managed one yet! 😁 I have two opportunities between now and the end of the year though…

They must either not work, or not spend much time with family?

I wonder the same, but a bit of routine (it is possible, even with family it seems!) can help. I never manage but could easily sneak an hour or two in every day and easily more at weekends, but it just takes one sore knee, one hangover, one ‘something better came along’…

The guys I know who’ve done big miles also tend to ride the same routes over and over. Doesn’t appeal to me but probably helps to clock the miles up if you know exactly what to expect out of each ride.

Am not jealous though, I would trade many blissful hours of riding my bike for the joy of toddler tantrums at 7am… 🙄

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Surprisingly, considering my year of woe (mild Covid turning into a form of long Covid in late March; golf ball sized absess on my back lanced and then not allowed to do any “sweaty” cycling in August; something very similar to March that then later seemed more like a normal cold in late September through to end of October), I’m currently sitting at 5823 miles.

Given I normally do 90+ miles per week, looking good to improve of my best year since I started this fitness quest four year ago (2018, 5918 miles) and perhaps break 6000 for the first time. The big difference though is that 2018 had ~442k feet of climbing, this year it’s only ~349k feet.

Not even thought about 2021 targets yet, just ~5.5 hours to go to reach my modest post-Covid year target of 365 hours (hour a day average) on the bikes.

ahsat

I’m just going to miss my 1500 miles for the year target (done 1341, 116594 ft) due to recovering from COVID. But it’s still my most riding ever! And I have kayaked, lifted weights and hiked around that too. Impressive numbers above but personally I need to mix it up for both mind body.

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    those miles are giving me hope for our post COVID 2021.

plop-pants
    Free Member

Nearly 12000 miles for the year. That would normally be 95% road but since buying a Spark a year ago I’ve done 3000 on that this year. Most fun 3000 miles out of the 12000 by far!
    503,000ft climbing. Not bad for a pensioner 😁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@ahsat It’s been such a bizarre year for me in terms of my bike fitness (as I imagine it has for anyone who does any regular exercise and has had Covid), which is my main form of exercise, besides walking up to ~10 miles a day since the pandemic on delivery at work.

By my own standards, I felt like a machine in Jan and Feb, but realising the hard way through extreme fatigue that I had to take things steady after Covid for a good 8+ weeks was gutting. At times, I’ve got very close to my FTP and LTHR figures since, but there have been setbacks along the way too where it felt so frustrating to feel too tired to jump on the bike at all… Or if I did get out on the bike, do very short intervals or simply take things very easy for the whole ride.

Having a turbo helps too!

Listening to your body after getting Covid seems so important, the only thing I can think of that I’ve had that comes anywhere close, was having glandular fever as a teen around ’87.

There will hopefully be other years for many of us where pushing the envelope and beating our previous personal bests will be a realistic challenge.

birky
    Free Member

3300 miles, 195,000 ft gained. Mostly on the road bike this year.

dreednya

Usual 5000+ miles but only half the elevation due to many more rides on the trainer

boblo
    Free Member

Once I was back to fitness I decided I would aim for a century a month. I’ve not managed one yet! 😁 I have two opportunities between now and the end of the year though…

Chop chop 😉 The weather has been great last few weeks – until this week. Two Saturday’s ago, we had 3″ of fresh snow on the backroads, sub zero temps, blue sky and NO wind. Fantastic. 👍

2 centuries to do for me before 31/12 so assuming no (further) apocalypse or Boblo/Volvo interfacing, we should be reet 🙃

slackboy

Pretty good for me this year, especially considering my annual multi day ride was cancelled and I haven’t commuted since February.

1700 miles

140,000 ft climbing

163 hours riding and 108 rides

Most of that is solo MTB as I’m lucky enough to live on the edge of the West Pennine moors. Lots of shorter rides and all but 2 from the door this year.

Should get over 1800 by the end of the year which will be a record.

reluctantjumper

Absolutely smashing the mileage this year! Already at 3500 whereas last year was only 2337. Elevation is already at 261,000 ft against 199,788 for 2019. To be fair 2019 was a bit crap with lots of time with physical and mental illness whereas this year I’ve had loads of free time on furlough and have been hitting Zwift a lot too so figures were always going to be loads better. I usually aim for 3000 miles and 200k of climbing, which will be the targets next year.

At least my fitness and weight loss is one good thing to come out of this year.

anagallis_arvensis

Ride or 2 off 7000km for me this year, much more mtb in that than than anytime in last 10-15 years too. Doubt I will do similar next year as I wont have all those free hours without work.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Currently on 4400 miles and 320,000 ft. Slightly up on distance from previous years, more riding from home responsible I think. Still a bit down on elevation due to no trips to real mountains. Not bad at all considering a slow start to the year due to work and diabolical weather.

tpbiker
    Free Member

A few miles short of 4000 so far, about 250 hrs worth. I haven’t put in any long rides this year, I think one 60 miler and that’s it. Riding alone due to covid most of the year, and long solo rides bore me to tears.

sadmadalan

Feeling rather inadequate with my target of 1500 km, which I achieved for road cycling, plus another 1000 km on the MTB and slightly over 27,000 m of climbing. Given that hockey takes over for the winter and I had a couple of months off due to an op, feeing quite good about this.

dave661350

Bad start to the year with a medical diagnosis…then lockdown and isolation but managed 400 miles and 40000 feet in June and July before more isolation pre-op….then nothing since. 2021 has got to be better. No target setting, just improving health and more than 400/40k ft.
    Some great figures posted by others. Chapeau

ready

Managed 2500 miles last year so set myself a target of 3000 miles this year. Currently on 2700 miles so not looking like I’ll quite make it unfortunately!
    141000 elevation – 298 hours – mostly local – all mtb

bungalistic
    Free Member

Not been out much in the past few weeks but so far this year I have done 1952 miles, 346,568 elevation, all on mtb and that’s pretty similar to last year.

kirky72
    Free Member

Had a target or 6500miles which was looking dubious at the start of April I did y have many miles in the bank.

Now I’m sat at 6460 and 360,000ft climbing so will acheive the target but quietly hopeful that if I can knock of the festive 500 then I might hit 7000miles which would be my highest annual total.

going to set 8000 miles for next year and hope I make a better start than this year.

sacktwist
    Free Member

PB this year, mainly due to long period of furlough and great weather in the spring.
    So far in 2020,
    920 hours (+70hr vs 2019)
    31,852 km distance
    166,000 m elevation
    Highlight was being fortunate enough to take part in two sportives with real people (one gravel, one road) just as the rules allowed it at the end of summer.

jedi

I have done 2500 off road miles since the first lockdown.back in the day I’d do that in. Couple of months mixed with road miles

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve only got 59 miles to go to hit my 7000 miles target for this year. 230,660 feet of climbing, so far. I’m not setting myself a target next year as I want to do a lot more mountain biking…this was mainly tow path type rides…

ta11pau1

Bloody hell @sacktwist that’s 2.5hrs and 87km every. single. day of the year…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

By my standards a good year, but has fallen off a cliff this autumn – shite weather, dark, lack of enthusiasm and too much work. So far this year have managed 1473 miles, 134,042 feet climbed across 104 rides and 128 hours. Mix of road and mountain and more road rides this year due to lockdown in the spring.

TedC

Set a lower target of 2500km for 2020 (cf 4250km for 2019) as knew I’d be starting a new job, living away during the week until house move happened…

Then 2020 got into full swing in March… 🙂

Combination of lock downs and WFH actually helped the cycling no end.

Currently at 3431km in 141h35m (approx 2/3 road, 1/3 turbo/zwift) having climbed 27,200m

gridnik
    Free Member

No neglecting here, just like riding and able to fit it in around everything else. Reckon 60/40 Road/Off-road

11,705 miles (On target for 12,000)
    466,591 ft elevation

Sadly down on last year due to cancellation of events.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘How’s your 2020 mileage looking? Plus 2021 targets’ is closed to new replies.