Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How warm’s a Castelli Gabba/Perfetto
  • fathomer

Looking for a new winter jacket for on the road bike and wondered how warm the long sleeve Gabba (now Perfetto) actually is. I’ve tried one on and the fit is great but a little concerned that it may not be warm enough.

For reference, I currently use an Endura Windchill which is warm enough with just a light base layer until the temp gets to around 1-2, when I put another heavier layer on.

boblo
    Free Member

I use one with a medium weight base layer and a Pertex windproof down well below zero °C.

Normal base layer; ~5°C, medium base layer; 2°C. Dry though, pissing down and I’ll use a Sportful Fiandre

All depends how hot you run and how hard you’re working…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

SS Gabba + Nanoflex armwarmers with summer base layer does me up for 6-10 degrees or so. Colder than that I’ll go for a merino base, down gilet if it’s very cold.

But yeah, depends on how you run.

angeldust
    Free Member

boblo
    ‘I use one with a medium weight base layer and a Pertex windproof down well below zero °C.’

What is the pertex windproof for? Offers no real extra insulation and you have a windproof layer underneath?

djglover
    Free Member

This winter I have only used a Perfetto in all ranges of conditions on fairly hard training rides.  I have varied the thickness and number of base layers with one long sleeved and a merino short sleeved keeping me warm in freezing rain and down to -4C.  I used it last night at 10C with a merino base and was getting a bit hot, would have been fine with a mesh base layer though.

Basically its a fantastic piece of kit.

everyone
    Free Member

I think the coldest I’ve worn my gabba down to is -4ish. That was just with a short sleeve baselayer, winter gloves etc etc. My arms were a bit cold but it was fine for a good few hours.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not quite ready to give up the winter thermals yet this year, probably another month or so. I’d consider it now for shorter rides with some higher intensity stuff thrown in.

boblo
    Free Member

@angeldust It just allows me to go a bit colderer. Sometimes I’m plodding with a local group and need a bit extra. I know it’s already wind proof, adding a thin Pertex layer gives you a few more (less) degrees.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s about as warm as a close-fitting windproof, which is essentially what it is – the fabric itself has precious little insulation value, so it’s really down to what you wear underneath it.

angeldust
    Free Member

boblo
    ‘@angeldust It just allows me to go a bit colderer. Sometimes I’m plodding with a local group and need a bit extra. I know it’s already wind proof adding a thin Pertex layer gives you a few more (less) degrees.’

Interesting. Any thermal advantage you get from a pertex windproof will be from er, keeping the wind off, so I would have thought any additional insulation advantage will be very minor. A guess it will make *some* difference though. If it works for you, why not!

A more breathable solution for the same warmth might be a fleece jersey/baselayer under a single windproof layer. Might have less (or at lease different) flexibility though. Personally I’m not a huge fan of pertex on the road (unless it is very well fitted), as it’s a bit crinkly and noisy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

fleece jersey/baselayer under a single windproof layer

This is certainly the tried and tested path. Most winter for me is base, fleecy jersey and wind/shower proof gilet. It just works and two zipped layers give loads of flexibility.

Gabba for me is for that transition period between summer kit and winter kit.

steve_b77
    Free Member

When it’ sub or hovering around zero I’ll wear an Aldi thermal long sleeved base layer, slightly warmer than that say normal early spring / late winter temps a Nike long-sleeved lightweight base layer. Warmer than that and I reckon it’d be to warm.

boblo
    Free Member

The upside of a thin additional outer layer is you can whip it off and stick it in a pocket when the pace picks up. It’s a bit more difficult to do that with extra/thicker base layers. I sometimes use a Pertex gilet instead if it’s not really, really cold and that’s really compact for carrying around.

Counter intuition perhaps but it works especially for the 10 mins post cafe or puncture stop.

If it’s really, really, really (3) cold, I use a thick Gore softshell with a thin or medium base plus Pertex as required. That’ll overcome the post apocalypse nuclear winter (or at least as cold as I can be arsed to ride in).

Haze

Last two winters I’ve gotten away with SS base layer and jersey, arm warmers with Perfetto gilet. It’s been enough for me, cool at first but fine once the pace has picked up.

SS Gabba has stopped in the wardrobe all winter again, I’ve taken a boil in the bag for emergency when the weather looks dodgy.

Sometimes I think about getting a long sleeve for simplicity when it gets proper cold.

Haze

Sorry, meant to add – if you run cool generally then they’re probably warm enough to use in most UK conditions before it’s just too icy to worth risking it anyway.

curto80
    Free Member

Get the Rapha pro team insulated jacket. It really is an incredible piece of kit.

boblo
    Free Member

Gabba day tomorrow; 3°C forecast to start with rising to 8°C. Light base layer + Gabba + gilet to start then off the gilet as the day warms up 😉

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I’ve used the perfetto since Xmas and most mornings I’ve just worn a thin Rapha wicking layer underneath – this is fine down to 3 degrees or so but any colder than that I’ve put an endura primaloft gilet on underneath till I’m hot enough to take it off.

My winter riding has been transformed this year with the combination of the Perfetto, wicking layer, endura gilet, Pearl Izumi amfib tights and some northwave Celsius boots. Even down to -5 I’ve been toasty and stayed dry.

I’ve yet to find any combination of gloves that keep my hands warm though!

fathomer

Thanks for all the replies, going to order one, probably a convertible.

Oblongbob

I’ve got the gabba 2 convertible and gabba 3 short sleeved. I reckon they’re great I would use the convertble gabba 2 with a normal base layer down to freezing point happily, and below with a warm base layer. I don’t mind the cold though, and run reasonably hot. Similar with the ss gabba 3 with arm warmers, though probably would keep it for warmer conditions. If it’s likely to be really wet i chuck a thin waterproof into my pocket (a shakedry gore 1985, which is also brilliant).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How warm’s a Castelli Gabba/Perfetto’ is closed to new replies.