Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How to scare off foxes/badgers/general wildlife?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

They're trashing my garden!

Do any of those electric high frequency things work?

coffeeking
    Free Member

What the hell is doing that?! I've got all of the above wildlife in my garden and don't see that sort of destruction! Foxes and badgers won't scrape at the ground like that. Have the local dogs found your ex-wife and are trying to dig her up?

mudshark
    Free Member

This is the 3rd year I've been here and not had this problem before – a few holes but nothing I couldn't patch up. Whatever is doing seems to be looking for something under the turf as not going deep.

druidh
    Free Member

Birds?

bananaworld
    Free Member

It's vegans.

They're a bloody nuisance when the local supermarket runs out of tofu.

I should know, that lawn damage in the picture is my doing.

skidartist
    Free Member

I think badgers can rip the ground up like that if they think there is something worth digging for.

The trick is to dig a trench and bury yourself in it naked with just your cock sticking out like a juicy worm. Wait for the badger to bite then shout 'boo'.

bigbloke
    Free Member

That could be deer doing that?

TheChunk
    Free Member
    skidartist
    Free Member

I should add a disclaimer to the above. You bury yourself in your garden at your own risk. If your knob gets bitten by Bill Oddie instead of a badger then shouting boo might not make him run away. Your home my be at risk if you are not completely satisfied.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Looks like the work of baby robins to me.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Ha ha. Looks like badgers to me, after worms / leatherjacks

You're in trouble! They use the same runs they've used for generations and the odd fence (or even wall) won't get in their way, they just buldoze through it or dig under it.

An electric fence is a good idea.

We got a large set near us. Nice to see them in the garden but they can be a pain. It was the sweetcorn crop this year. The buggers left all 12 plants until the cobs were perfect, came along one night and ate the lot – ate as in pulled the cobs off the plants, unwrapped them and neatly ate all the corn off the cobs!!

Some good advice here:
    http://www.cornwallbadgergroup.org.uk/damage.htm

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Looks like badgers to me. Sounds odd, but sprinkle random handfulls of peanuts around the garden. They'll be too busy looking for the nuts, to dig up worms and grubs.

mudshark
    Free Member

Does sound like it's badgers – a neighbour caught a badger a month or so ago by accident; was hoping to catch a fox. I've seen the chafer grubs in the soil so looks like worth treating – got to wait until next Autumn it seems.

jond
    Free Member

ISTR there was somewhere on the box over the summer with the same problem (tho' it was a country house with a pretty big garden) – badgers were making a heck of a mess. I think their solution – given that enclosing it was impractical, even if it did work – was to put more interesting food out for the badgers.
    (Ah, just spotted daisyduke's post – peanuts sound familiar).

Foxes and squirrels occasionally have a go at our lawn, but it's normally just in isolated spots – tho' annoyingly the little beggars tend to go back to the same place.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

The Crows do that on selected patches of road verge near me. They visit every day, and poke about for all the creatures. Very similar looking effect.

MrNutt
    Free Member

seriously: sprinkle your urine around the perimeter of your garden. badgers won't trespass.

genesis
    Free Member

Lion p00, just ask your local zoo for some.

Drac

Aye Badger's will do that, it's caused because they insist on using tubeless and the latex kills the grass.

Here's a photo of one caught in action, look at the anger in those eyes they hate being disturbed.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh, never saw the badger thread!! 😕
    Before my time.
    BUT I have MET Badger! 8)

andrewh
    Free Member

Lion poo only works with cats.

Get a llama. Serious advice for anyone who has hens, they will chase foxes away. Don't know why.

Bunnyhop

Oh no Drac's made me cry 😆

Yes badgers. We had the same problem in our garden. I made sure all the fences were secure and there was no chance for the little devil to get in.

I do love them though but not in our garden.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know of a very good way to control foxes.

😈

Dimmadan
    Free Member

leatherjacks is the reason.

It has been happening on golf courses all over the South West.

http://www.wiltshirebadgergroup.org.uk/home.asp?pname=/page.asp?id=12

skidartist
    Free Member

Captain Flash the Vulpine Hypnotist?

NZCol

Ha ha the return of the Badger, that was a class thread that one…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got Badgers on our garden and they dig it up in small patches, but nothing like in the above pic,they also use it as a thoroughfare, rather have badgers in my garden than local chavs.

Drac

Great idea kill the chafer grubs, they're very rare now and only just starting to make a slow come back.

Coyote
    Free Member

look at the anger in those eyes they hate being disturbed

Now I've lost it big time!

grantway
    Free Member

Regarding Foxes I was told that it needs a Male Human
    To Piss in say a bottle and mark your terrotry around your garden
    Same has what a Fox does in your garden.

z1ppy

AnalogueAndy – Member
    Ha ha. Looks like badgers to me, after worms / leatherjacks

yep I'd agree, m8 has the same problem
    http://www.turfshop.co.uk/index.php?page=13

mudshark
    Free Member

Great idea kill the chafer grubs, they're very rare now and only just starting to make a slow come back.

Quick, kill them before it's too late….

One man's pest is another man's wildlife?! Certainly not rare in my garden.

Drac

One man's pest is another man's wildlife?! Certainly not rare in my garden.

Still rare though up here is one of the few refuges we get them every few years buzzing around work. Scare the crap out of the female members of staff and provide great humour when you tell them their name.

mudshark
    Free Member

I'll send some up if you want to plant them in your garden?

Drac

lol.

Our badgers don't venture into the garden here, few hedgehogs mind.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seems that it's possibly the grubs themselves, rather than the badgers, that are causing the bald patches:
    http://www.thenaturalgardener.co.uk/chafer_grub.php

Maybe you should encourage the badgers?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How to scare off foxes/badgers/general wildlife?’ is closed to new replies.