Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to repair Ortlieb pannier fabric
  • shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a hole in there and it’s letting in water (letting in water). I know that Ortlieb used to do a repair kit but it’s not available right now. Any ideas?

legend
    Free Member

(Actually kinda serious for once) duck tape

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, there’s been duct tape on there but it keeps coming off unforts. The holes are where the fabric has worn though on the bottom edges and corners

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

I’ll try some Gorilla tape, maybe that’ll stay on for longer

nant
    Free Member

Tenacious tape. It’s about 7 quid for a 50cm roll. Not sure what it’s like on rucksack fabric. But I’ve used it to repair tent holes and my jacket when a bramble savagely ripped it.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Rema tip top?
    Or bathroom silicone?

nant
    Free Member

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was possible to damage ortlieb pannier fabric! My set have seen off crashes, plenty of touring, daily commuting and generally a hard life for about a decade and are still good as new!

ransos
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was possible to damage ortlieb pannier fabric! My set have seen off crashes, plenty of touring, daily commuting and generally a hard life for about a decade and are still good as new!

Whereas mine wore through on the bottom, and I put a hole in one when it fell off my bike. The Ortlieb kit worked well, but if it’s not available I would try a repair kit for inflatable beds.

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/camping/camping-accessories/summit-air-bed-repair-kit

Kieran

I’d be looking for some kevlar sail repair tape. If you have a local sailing club with a chandlers they should have some in stock.

damascus
    Free Member

Can you post a picture of the hole?

Can you send it back to ortlieb for them to repair?

If not, I’d be tempted to sew it closed (depending on size) and then seal it with a glue.

I’ve recently tried this when making bags and so far it’s been great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331742874866

Works on most materials, but not Polythene, Polypropylene or PTFE .
    The only glue you need to fix a rip leak or tear on any flexible material or fabric

What fabric is the ortlieb stuff?

Hooter
    Free Member

Shoegoo or similar think rubbery glue. Or if the holes are a decent size, shoegoo followed immediately by gaffer tape

damascus
    Free Member

My ortlieb panniers have been bomb proof too, however, my friends bottle of 50% deet got a hole in it and that destroyed his pannier and made it really soft and put a few holes in his.

After that it put me off using my bottle

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of tent or thermarest type repair fabrics out there. There is also a market in outdoor gear repair of which you may not be aware. I used Scottish Mountain Gear and they were brilliant on my tent and far cheaper than it ought to have been.

tjagain

tenacious tape for the win It sticks to anything even silicone tents where duct tape just falls off

jimoiseau
    Free Member

No repair suggestion, just a reminder that they have 5 year waterproof guarantee, so if they’re less old than that I’d contact Ortlieb first

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to repair Ortlieb pannier fabric’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts