Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How to make protein shake less awful?
  • reluctantlondoner

Training hard at the moment and have been struggling with sleep and recovery – thought I’d try a night time protein from My Protein to stop me waking hungry (trying to balance between hard training and losing weight).

Got a choc flavour thing and it is vile – chemically and oversweet. What can i add or do to make it more palatable? Thinking of blending with kale or something? any other thoughts?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Not totally the answer, but I buy the unflavoured version and blend with rice milk, banana and raw oats. Tastes like banana. I avoid artificial flavours cos they taste artificial.

nealglover
    Free Member

The chocolate one from myprotien is rough, I threw it out in the end as I never found a way to make it nice 😕

I went for vanilla in the end with blended red berries for flavour (edit-and oats) Still wasn’t brilliant, but it’s not like it needs to be “awesome” just not disgusting 🙂

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tabasco add Tabasco ..

Jamie
    Free Member

When I used to be a beefcake, I’d just buy unflavoured and chug it down.

Didn’t really mind the taste tho.

Thinking of blending with kale or something?

Is never the answer.

jekkyl

throw it in the bin and open a beer?

allthegear
    Free Member

Eat pies instead

Rachel

fifeandy
    Free Member

Bedtime shakes usually contain a high proportion of casein – so does milk. Try mixing with milk instead of water and reducing the amount of powder you use to 75% of a serving.

That should make the flavour much less intense without losing much protein intake.

jimjam
    Free Member

Double check that you need it first. Keep tabs on what you eat using MFP, then check your overall protein intake for your weight. I find it easy to eat more than my recommended amount of protein day to day.

To deal with muscle pain/fatigue/recovery I take BCAAs, creatine and a few other supplements. Working well so far, muscle pain and tiredness is definitely less and recovery times are a bit shorter.

If you are sticking with protein shakes get the unflavoured and mix with full fat milk.

Stainypants

Proabably doesn’t apply to you as your looking at maintaining weight but I make mine up with Almond milk, i find it dissolves better and doesn’t add too many calories/carbs.

I’ve tried a load of different ones some are horrendous. I stick Sci MX vanilla diet whey which is OK. Blending with frozen rasberries and almond milk makes a nice dessert.

chiefgrooveguru

I think the unflavoured one is nicest, the others are all too sweet.

BoardinBob

My Protein stuff is pretty rank in my experience

Spartan Protein is much better. Mixes well, tastes nice, no stomach issues

joebristol

If it’s casein protein you’re after for slowcrelease then most of them taste pretty bad in my opinion. The only one I genuinely liked was Optimum Nutrituon (ON). Chocolate flavour was really nice. Not that cheap though.

skids
    Free Member

buy the unflavoured next time, it just tastes like milk

wallop

Nuzest pea protein for the win. I have the chocolate flavour and it’s nice even with water.

DrP

I must be odd…I really like the ‘powdery’ taste of the shakes!!
    Vanilla is lovely!

DrP

nickhit3
    Free Member

Another vote for the natural MyProtein. 5gk bags are always on offer. Plus, I believe it is very slightly richer in protein compared to the flavoured versions. Also, be prepared for frequent night pees.. I found that a while ago when I upped my daily protein (not just shakes) I was peeing in the night a lot more-something I’ve never previously had. I had read that the extra synthesis of protein by the body puts your kidneys up a notch hense the extra pee.. it certainly was my experience-it did subside after a couple weeks Ymmv.

sadexpunk

buy the unflavoured next time, it just tastes like milk

Another vote for the natural MyProtein. 5gk bags are always on offer. Plus, I believe it is very slightly richer in protein compared to the flavoured versions.

are the right answers. just makes milk taste like yummy creamy milk. love it so much i pour this on my oatibix instead of normal milk for a lovely creamy bowl of luvvliness.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Shot of coffee and a spoonful of peanut butter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Waking hungry is normal. Hence the word breakfast. Break your fast.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/26/protein-hype-shoppers-flushing-money-down-the-toilet-say-experts

I’d look more at your diet and eating / drinking patterns, and what you do in the evening to relax before bed. No late meals / booze and coffee especially.

mefty
    Free Member

Kahlua

poah
    Free Member

don’t drink it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

try mixing with milk instead

Avoid milk if you’re trying to lose weight. Think about it, what is the point of milk, it’s the foodstuff of evolutionary choice for babies who want to double their weight every few months, and do babies look ripped, or tubby?

+1 for the unflavoured and adding stuff to it though. Myprotein even sell the favour additives separately as liquids so you can buy 5kg sacks and just flavour them as you fancy.

To make the chocolate more palatable though I added coco powder and/or coffee. Makes it taste a bit more grownup and less like watery nesqwik.

jimjam
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

try mixing with milk instead

Avoid milk if you’re trying to lose weight.[/quote]

Or just work out your calorie intake and allow for it? Whey protein’s already 100cals a scoop. Maybe avoid that too?

footflaps

Think about it, what is the point of milk, it’s the foodstuff of evolutionary choice for babies who want to double their weight every few months, and do babies look ripped, or tubby?

Well if you really thought about it, you’d realise that babies drink a lot more milk as a ratio of their weight than a human mixing up protein powder. You’d also know that skimmed milk is about 35 calories / 100ml and human breast milk is about 80 calories / 100ml (although fat content varies during the day).

mark88

Also, be prepared for frequent night pees.. I found that a while ago when I upped my daily protein (not just shakes) I was peeing in the night a lot more-something I’ve never previously had. I had read that the extra synthesis of protein by the body puts your kidneys up a notch hense the extra pee.

Interesting, I noticed the same but put it down to drinking more water due to training.

I found casien shakes (which I presume is what the night time shake is) mix far worse than normal protein. If you’re struggling with it, try Myprotein whey.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Shop around.

My Protein chocolate is nicer than their strawberry.

Promax is nice too.

Mix it with other good or just eat protein rich food like tuna or chicken.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How to make protein shake less awful?’ is closed to new replies.