Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to do a stoppie?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I need to do one – on a road bike. How do I learn?

If only there was someone AWESOME with bike skills here who could teach flame me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

1 word. modulation

uselesshippy
    Free Member

can you post pics from hospital afterwards?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Step one: fabricate a calliper mount and bond to front fork
    Step two: ride fast, pull hard on front brake lever
    Step three: modulate to balance bike in back wheel off the ground position

nicko74

Step one: fabricate a calliper mount and bond to front fork
    Step two: ride fast, pull hard on front brake lever
    Step three: modulate to balance bike in back wheel off the ground position

You missed a bit.
    Step zero: find and line up your spoons.

Northwind

1) dry tarmac.

Looks out of window. Ah well. There is no 2.

ojom
    Free Member

You better wear a helmet.

fasthaggis

Al,please don’t. I was only joking about testing that fork out,and I would suffer so much guilt if you smashed your beard along the road.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Take out a dental plan first

argoose
    Free Member

Over stoppie = Face Plant.
    Don’t do it you’ll die!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Won’t the front wheel skid? An ace way of scrubbing some speed?

sharkattack

On a serious note;
    Practice them on a downwards slope. That way you can just start again without pedalling up to speed when you drop the back wheel every two seconds. You’ll get much more actual front wheel time and braking practice than if you’re taking a run up for every attempt.

The same slope will also be perfect for coaster wheelies which will become awesome manuals.

Ahh, memories of spending hours learning to manual and stoppie in a dry and covered subway tunnel.
    I could hold a manual or a stoppie indefinitely when I was 16 but it’s been about that long again since I tried.

beanieripper
    Free Member

I know it sounds wrong but the faster you go the easier it is..modulation is key but the faster you go the envelope you do the stoppie in is bigger….you gotta go fast to learn then it’s easier…if you try to learn at 10mph your gonna loose teeth…imho

MarkLG
    Free Member

The only trick I successfully mastered as a youngster was the long drawn out rolling stoppy. That was back in the late 80’s when cantilever rim brakes were cutting edge 🙂
    As sharkattack has said you need to find yourself a bit of a downhill. Roll down at a steady speed and brake firmly, without grabbing. Repeat a few times so you get a feel for the grip, increasing the braking force a bit each time.
    When you feel the back lifting modulate your grip on the brake to hold it up, then ease off the brake as you come to a standstill to smoothly bring the back down.
    The key is keeping the initial pull on the brake smooth – you need to load the tyre steadily to maintain grip, otherwise you’ll lock up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. This video is gonna be ace.

Grimy
    Free Member

Push you weight back, pull the front brake fairly hard until you can feel the back getting a little lighter, now move your weight forward a little and use your body weight about the front wheel pivot to control the amount of lift. As the bike slows, and you get nearer to top dead centre (higher), reduce the braking pressure and continually move your weight slightly to balance. Piece of piss. Wear a helmet ;p

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

NM2CG

nose manual to chin grind, at least you will geet £250 from YBF!! 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to do a stoppie?’ is closed to new replies.