• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • How to deal with being screwed over at work
  • Pook

I’m pretty sure I’m being screwed over at work. I’ve proposed an idea, it’s been well received, I’ve done a demo of how it can be done and been heavily involved in developing a proof of concept for how it can be.
    Now, the person I’ve been working with has taken the idea and run with it. I was happy with this as I was going to be front and centre of the presentation of it. But she’s now said in passing that I need to keep my head down as senior has been asking questions as to why my department has somebody doing this kind of comms work – outside of the agreed structure. As such, she’s now going to do the VoiceOver and seemingly present it all as her work.

I’ve been trying to get this going for a couple of years in my company and saw this as the first opportunity to get some backing on it and push it forward. I’d delivered the same kind of thing very successfully in my previous job and can really see how it can work.

Now, if I don’t help deliver it it will never be done. If I do, I don’t think ill get the credit. I’m totally torn, feel entirely used and very naive.

Any advice?

geoffj

If you have confidence in it screw what she says and approach the senior (manager) directly now and explain the situation. Act before being acted upon.

thomthumb
    Free Member

as senior has been asking questions as to why my department has somebody doing this kind of comms work – outside of the agreed structure.

approach him and tell him this.

I’ve been trying to get this going for a couple of years in my company and saw this as the first opportunity to get some backing on it and push it forward. I’d delivered the same kind of thing very successfully in my previous job and can really see how it can work.

tymbian
    Free Member

Speak to Senior to find out if they’ve been asking questions…if they ask why you’re asking tell them..

This career-forwarding-dump-on-a-collegue sort of thing makes me so cross. Always solidifies my belief that self-employment was meant for me. Treat the low-life b*tch with the contempt she deserves!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

She sounds like the kind of colleague who (to quote FMJ) would ahem you up the swear filter without having the goddamn decency to give you a reacharound.

Approach senior management directly. Make it well known this is your puppy. Before its too late.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is she fit?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Very hard the judge without knowing the office politics. If it was me I would say **** the structure and speak to the person who has the queries, be honest and humble, if they get their knickers in a twist over the structure issue then apologies. If it is a good idea who gives a shit where it comes from, I think it is always better to be on the front foot and proactive in these situations.

tonyg2003

Got anything in writing? Emails etc…? If not then it’s your word vs theirs and that’s always difficult.

If you have proof go to the senior. However I wouldn’t just go with the “they have stolen it” message, you may not be seen as a team player. Try to make it positive – some amendments and explanation of your original idea.

grantway
    Free Member

Go around ant tell everyone what you have done.
    What she is saying is more like a plague of lies so you will get no acknowledgement

Just keep on bringing it up IE yes this is a very good idea of mine bla bla bla
    Your work colleagues will soon say who’s idea it actually was.
    Been there many times

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above go to the senior. Make sure your first 2 or 3 sentences lay out what your point is and what you want. Then go into the detail. Repeat the key message at the end. Target a conversation of 15 mins max, short sharp and to the point. Id be tempted to tell the boss you involved her as a cutosey /team player and now shes trying to abuse that. You don’t have to listen to her, it’s not up to her to tell you what you can and cannot do. Shes probably (rightly) feeling threatened, if you make this fly she is going to look bad so she’s behaving rationally. You should assume she’s spoken to the boss too and be prepared to that.

Finally this is an example of beng too nice upfront, sharp elbows to keep the other person out at the start would have avoided this. Perhaps I’ll get flamed for non-collegiate /non- team approach but that’s the reality of most companies.

Good luck

RustySpanner

Yep, go over her head.

Be honest.
    Try and get some evidence together that comfirms your side of events – emails, minutes etc, just in case.

And I know it’s a cliche, but let your Union know.

Good Luck!

eddie11
    Free Member

Good luck. I’ve worked in good places where these fun and games wouldn’t last two minutes and had good managers would see right through her and rotten places where seniors fall for this stuff, and as she’s moved first you’re stuffed. Hope for you it’s the former.

growinglad
    Free Member

End of the day if your work hasn’t suffered whilst doing this “extra project”, or used funds that weren’t budgeted for, what’s the problem, you all work for the same company and if your idea is for the benefit of the company then everyones a winner !!

Junkyard
    Free Member

go over their head ?
    have you an audit trail to show it really was your work?
    If so burn them with this info if not try and trap them with a carefully worded e-mail saying how much time you put in how much you care, seeing it through to the end, previous expertise happy to share credit etc in order to trick them into accepting it was your idea?
    Dont forget to recall your conversation with them in the e-mail

IME [ union rep] they rarely want to respond to e-mails but if it was all BS they would respond saying this

Depends how ugly you want to make it I suppose

PATIO?

MSP

Is the senior someone you are likely to bump into around the place?

Maybe a casual “I hear you have some concerns about me establishing this project, would you like a chat about it” would be an easy way to broach the subject. Stay away from the politics in any conversation, just demonstrate you are the expert and you have done the work.

Pook

MSP – the senior is four levels up, but I think that might be the best course of action. It’s either that our junkyard’s approach with the carefully worded email.

I’m just a bit gutted that it’s going to be ballsed up now and done badly.

riiich
    Free Member

Dear Senior

I have been informed by Ms Manager that questions are being asked about some comms work I have done outside of the normal structure. I would like you to understand that I take full responsibility for this and do not want her to get into trouble as it was entirely my undertaking.

To give you a bit of background… (Explain project)

Best Regards
    Pook

Make sure you copy her in so she knows you are not going behind her back.

gogg
    Free Member

Are you an optometrist?

😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pook IMO speaking to boss is much better than an email. They may want some background info by email prior to meeting which you should provide but don’t be too specific and in the email don’t slag off your colleague. The whole point of the meeting is to show the boss you are the man for the job and you care about the success of the project.

As for the “go to the union” comments it seems fairly clear to me this is just normal office politics and @pooks colleague may have a point about structures/process etc.

RustySpanner

jambalaya – Member
    As for the “go to the union” comments it seems fairly clear to me this is just normal office politics

It is now. 🙂
    If things escalate, it’s always nice to have backup.

The Union won’t mind. It’s what they’re for.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You’re obviously passionate about it, go and knock on the guys door and discuss it with him straight, he’s only human even if he is 4 levels above. If what she’s saying is genuine, ask to be seconded to the appropriate dept to see it thru.
    Definitely do not send an email, go and see him and show him how passionate about the idea you are.

martinhutch

Just a casual chat with the senior boss in question to ‘clarify’ the agreed comms structure as you’ve been working on this great idea for some time but don’t want to tread on anyone’s toes…follow this up with an email thanking him for his advice and help.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Spike her coffee so she becomes a bit irrational during her presentation, step in and save the day. Explain it is probable her ‘time’ this week and explain she is like this every month. She even tries to steal other peoples ideas. Maybe she should just accept the limitations of her gender*.

*Probably not the best approach if presenting with other women present.

NZCol

What pook said but face to face or worse case a phonecall.
    All you need to do is get to them to say, look sorry I have been doing this based on my prior expereince, really exciting opportunity and I didn’t want cuntybaws to get in a sticky place or take t he heat for my involvement. I’m really interested in this idea etc and have put a lot of effort into getting it to here so would really appreciate the opportunity to step up.

In one hit you are saying you want to remain involved, implying that you have been shafted and also stating it was your idea all without sounding like a mememe. Good luck, keep it positive and non moany. This is what work life gets like sometimes.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Once had a boss who used to steal my credit for ideas. The last time he did it, I got into the board meeting before he did, explained my idea then stated that Roger would probably come out with the idea and pass it off as his own.

He did, they all laughed, he never did that again.

To be fair though, it was a fairly open and relaxed firm and it sounds like the OP’s is way more formal.

EDIT, it sounds to me like bitch manager is lying to you re the senior manager, to get you to back off the idea so she can claim it all. Copy her into an email stating it’s all your idea and she has no blame in it if he’s not happy etc. my bet is, it will be the first thing he’s heard of the idea.

scuzz
    Free Member

Giving you a heads-up is she? She probably thinks she’s doing you a favour. Instead, she’s undermining your position & confidence and also undermining the senior – I doubt they’d want someone lower in the pecking order talking on their behalf and putting words in their mouth.

Don’t reinforce the hierarchy she is trying to establish over you. It’s really nice of her to do you this favor, but you’re better at knowing what’s best for you than she is. Don’t rise to the rumors or give any attention to the gossip, just go and establish what’s what with your senior. And then get back in the driving seat for the project – it’s yours after all.

br
    Free Member

Ignore the comment and let her get on with it. If it goes tits-up, hopefully you won’t get the blame and if it’s successful then maybe she will know she needs you and so you may get some credit.

Pointing out now will just make you look poor.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We had a lass notorious for this kind of stunt.

It all stopped when she took someones work- who had seen it coming and purposfully loaded up the maths wrong with glaring errors , she presented

Error was pointed out , her reply was – oh but such and such did the work thats not my mistake. ….. Hook line and sinker.

She no longer works for us .

Pook

I’m feeling pretty sick about the whole thing. If she gives me credit I will happily help her deliver the full package. If she doesn’t – and I think I have ways to find out – she’ll find that I’m very good at keeping my head down.
    Cheers for the advice everyone – i’m just gutted that this is my real chance to show what I’m good at and it is being stolen from me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it seems fairly clear to me this is just normal office politics

What do you think Unions deal with?
    Its not all lightning strikes and arguing with the bosses.

A good company tends to not want crap employees whatever the level.

Ignore the comment and let her get on with it. If it goes tits-up, hopefully you won’t get the blame and if it’s successful then maybe she will know she needs you and so you may get some credit.

Pointing out now will just make you look poor.
    I am genuinely not sure if this is serious.

How does pointing out someone stole your idea make you look bad?

project
    Free Member

She want give you any credit,in her mind its HER project now its nearly finished, and she will turn bitter evil and nasty when she gets reminded its not her project, cover your back and be careful.

epicyclo

Did you do it in your own time and with your own resources?

If so talk to the competition.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

I’d say getting screwed over was putting a year of sometimes 16 hour days and 7 day weeks into a company.

tymbian
    Free Member

Any follow up on this op?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m amazed nobody suggested getting her a coffee/picolxatte

hora
    Free Member

Is she fit?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘How to deal with being screwed over at work’ is closed to new replies.