Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • How much faster will I be without my camelbak…? Road bike content
  • ransos
    Free Member

What about nice wind proof water repellent fleecy lined bibs longs over a set of padded bit shorts?

Roubaix bibs? That’s what I use, and comfort “down there” is noticeably better on cold rides.

brooess
    Free Member

More to the point, how much faster will you be on your MTB from putting in the road miles 🙂

On the MTB I carry way more kit than I do on the road bike – and it gets used – spare tubes, toolkit, food etc.
    On the road bike everything I need fits into my shirt pockets + 2 bottles on the bike.
    You don’t need anything like the amount of kit on a roadbike that you need on an MTB a) much less goes wrong b) you’re not in the middle of the woods if it does so you can just limp back to the nearest cab/train station…
    I suspect a heavy pack on your back for the position you’re in and for the length of time you ride a road bike for, will do your back no good at all.

A couple of spare tubes, wallet, phone, pump and food will fit into your shirt pockets and you’ll be right

IME roadie comments are 99% tongue in cheek

steve_b77
    Free Member

You wear a shirt on your road bike, are you Alan Partridge?

molgrips
    Free Member

I find a camelbak more comfortable than having my jersey pockets weighed down with phone, keys, tube, multitool etc. Going bakless is a lot easier now I have the pump on the frame and tube and tool in a minimalist saddle pack.

I still use one on a long ride if I want lots of water though. The weight doesn’t bother me at all, but then I am a strong alpha male not an emaciated roadie.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Oh look, another them and us thread.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If I really need to take water on my road bike I use a Camelback Hydroback. There’s enough room in it for a bunch of keys and a phone, but the mini pump and tube still has to go in my back pocket.
    I really don’t like using bottles.

http://www.camelbak.com/en/International/Sports-Recreation/Packs/Hydrobak.aspx

chrishc777
    Free Member

I tried ditching camelbak and baggies on the road and it does make a difference, at least to me. Not so much speed or drag but comfort, I have a dodgy back and not having any weight on my back whilst crouched down on the drops defo takes away back pain. That along with dialling in saddle angle perfectly and stretching before and after every ride.

And I definetly FEEL faster without baggies on, and hate having keys and stuff in the pockets anyway.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I still don’t get the need to wear ‘baggies’ on the road, at the very least they’re damned uncomfortable and all flappy in the wind.

That’s ok, because some of us don’t understand the ‘need’ to wear lycra anywhere 🙂

You must have been wearing some really odd shorts if they were damned uncomfortable.

DrP

Serious question – those wearing baggies on the road;don’t you find they simply ‘parachute’ the air when going at speed??

I’d much rather be in lycra for road/xc racing (unless I’m in fancy dress) as baggies catch/flap about.
    But yes, baggies look better and I feel more comfortable in the pub in them..

DrP

andytherocketeer

Endura ones are adjustable
    Altura ones are a bit more “body fitting” and stretchy.
    so no, not really noticed much, if any, flapping or parachute effect.
    someone with stick legs might though

edit: and the only “catching” I find is baggies on the MTB with a quick release seat post clamp lever

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nope, but then i’m not wearing MC Hammer style baggies. They are fairly fitted TLD Skyline/Ace, or similar style short.

DrP

Might try to hunt those out and bin my day-glo hypercolour parachute pants I take on the MTB then…!!

Any models you recommend?

Dr

kudos100
    Free Member

Serious question – those wearing baggies on the road;don’t you find they simply ‘parachute’ the air when going at speed??

No.

HTH

TiRed

Put it under the jersey and it will be more aero. I know a hardened rider who rides the Fred Whitton with his camelback just so.

dragon
    Free Member

Yes, plus they ride up and offer little warmth to my thighs. They just aren’t the right tool for the job IMO. Fitted shorts have been used for bike racing for over 100 years for good reason.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How much faster will I be without my camelbak…? Road bike content’ is closed to new replies.