Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • how much do you think base rates will change over next 4 years?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Think im going to have to take out a big loan to go back to uni and interest sits at 1.75% above base rate. not pretty but possibly unavoidable. if base climbs to 4% then id end up owing about 2-3k on a 15,000 loan which is doable but what are the chances it goes higher?

in your professional opinions 😉

geoffj

Its only going to go up. How much up would require a crystal ball I’m afraid 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

student loan?

fontmoss
    Free Member

student loan as well……:'(

need all the loans i can get my hands on, studying med in england as a cottish student means im not entitled to getting my tuition fees paid in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year, which sucks.

is it likely base rates will become silly? they’ll climb from the stupidly low position theyre at now but as a ballpark, 5% 7%? im totally clueless in this area but im wading through trying to find out as much as i can

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Not a professional opinion 😉 ….. but… imo it’s unlikely that much will happen for the next 12 months as inflation isn’t a problem and deflation is still the greatest fear, plus there’s little doubt that the UK will remain in recession throughout 2009. However, in 12 months time we will have a conservative government and the Tories are deeply unhappy about the historically low interest rates which we are experiencing. It remains to be seen whether they stick to their commitment to maintaining the Bank of England’s independence and don’t subject it to political pressure. There is no doubt however, that they will not repeat the disastrous policies which they applied during the 1980s recession when they pushed interest rates up to 15%/16% ? Well let’s **** hope they don’t anyway.

fontmoss
    Free Member

god its a total gamble 🙁 well i can only take a grand in 1st year and another grand in 2nd so wont be drowning and if rates are really starting to take off i can find other sources (hopefully) or have to jack it all in.

god that’d be shite

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Go to a scottish Uni?

My guess would be rates staying as they are or still very low for a year or two then climbing to 5or7 % but its on an (ill) educated guess

fontmoss
    Free Member

nope, theres no grad courses in scotland. thats why SAAS dont free up the equivalent cash for fees. to do another undergrad id have to study science again (im an arts grad) for about a year then apply to undergrad courses and as ive been in Madrid for over a year that wasnt a possibility. i knew the score before i applied to be fair.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

They will go up, but I would imagine slowly. So long as they are still in the 4 – 5% region that is still pretty damn low in historical terms.

Besides – qualify in Medicine and it surely isn’t going to be that big a deal at the other end is it! 😉

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Yield on five year gilts is about 2.5%-3% depending on the issue. That’s a signal of the consensus of where the markets think base rates are going to be.

Lots depends on inflation though but as GG says that does not appear to be an immediate concern

fontmoss
    Free Member

Besides – qualify in Medicine and it surely isn’t going to be that big a deal at the other end is it!

got to get to the end first tho 🙁

well i can take the first and second year maximums and by then maybe we’ll know better what may happens plus ive found out that in 3rd year the BMA and other bodies start to offer up more support.

including first degree debts im probably staring down the barrel of between 50 and 70 grand of debt. *gulp* anyone know of grants or charities handing out cash to medics ?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

just put it all on credit cards, then go bankrupt.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘how much do you think base rates will change over next 4 years?’ is closed to new replies.