Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How much difference does temperature make to performance?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was bored earlier and fancied going out on my road bike so I decided to see how quickly I could do the local 10 mile TT route.

I managed about 26 minutes but I felt pretty awful, my legs felt really cold and weak. I’m assuming this is because it was pretty chilly, about 4 degrees I think. Is this usually the case when your trying to push yourself in the cold?

Normally I dont find it too bad just ambling along in the cold at a steady pace.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t think it should have a significant effect. You must be slow 😎

scu98rkr
    Free Member

surely you should be more efficient in the cold.

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s been taking me a lot longer to warm up on these cold mornings. First 20 odd mintues feel very sluggish then seems to improve quite quickly after that

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t think it should have a significant effect. You must be slow

I guess Im going to have to face the facts

R.lepecha

its harder to breathe in when its cold as the air is thicker, so you take in less oxygen per breath reducing the amount of respiration happening in your cells, leading to less strength in the muscles, I’m guessing.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Surely you’ll take in more oxygen as the air is more dense.

R.lepecha

but its harder to take in so therefore you take in less? also your blood is slightly thicker as your body temperature will drop until you warm back up.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like Im not using the proper gear. Shall I dress like this?

mboy
    Free Member

Based on what?

Just as with an engine in a car, there’s optimum temperatures for the human body to run at. Above which we’ll burn up too quickly, below which our body and muscles aren’t in an effective operating temperature so will not work as effectively as they could.

Best bet for riding in the cold is wear more than you think you’ll need to, keep your muscles nice and warm, keep your fluids up etc. But breathing in cold dense air is always going to have an effect on your lungs though, it’s always a bit of a shock.

crikey
    Free Member

It was a bit chilly and you were crap today. Do stop fretting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ran at a pace – set by GPS last week that resulted in an ave HR of 170 – was in 38 degrees c blazing sun

ran at the same pace last night (according to my gps) and ave hr on the same hr was a good 30 beats lower – and i wasnt as laboured as i was in heat

was sub zero here last night

obviously there is an optimum to which your working at your most efficient but i dont think its as warm as one might think

trail_rat
    Free Member

strongly advise not wearing more than you think youll need to – youll only sweat – the sweat will get cold and your colder than before …..wear the correct layering system that allows you to remove when you get up to temp – general rule of thumb – you should feel a bit cold when you go to get the bike out the shed 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Were you wearing winter kit on a winter bike. I slow down considerably this time of year but it still feels like a lot of effort.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It was a bit chilly and you were crap today. Do stop fretting.

I dont know, I never bothered doing the TT thing before.

I wore lycra shorts and a base layer, whats the recommended clothing for cycling in the cold?

crazy-legs

A lot more than lycra shorts and a base layer, no wonder you were slow!

I was out on the road bike on Sunday wearing thermal tights, base layer and a fleecy lycra road top.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hell yeah – i was wearing more than that running

on the bike today i had on 3/4 bibs , roubaix leg warmers , woolie boolies , merino baselayer , merino mid layer and a roubaix outer. and a fleece balaclava – was -3degrees when i set out although i was just bimbling along to the shops with the trailer on.

gothandy

I have a theory that I’m quicker when wearing shorts rather than full length lycra. Mind you I’m a **** of a lot colder without it!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I find that I always go better in the cold ( once I have warmed up properly) conversely I stubble in nice warm weather – I overheat with the effort. Frosty with the right kit = happy Matthew, although not on the road round me as no roads are treated or have much traffic!

Gothandy – look after your knees in the cold!

senorj

I find that in winter/cold conditions i get tired more quickly than in the summer. I’ve always put it down to the simple fact of ground being softer therefore its harder to maintain momentum as in the summer. Also i suspect my body is using more energy keeping me warm.
    Don’t know about air thickness , but it does take me longer to get my lungs working when it’s cold.
    I agree with trail rat –
    I find it best to start off winter rides cold.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The air is coleder, therefore more dense (the reason a car is faster on colder days)

But the coldness also slows down diffusion so the oxygen/co2 transport into/out of your blood is slower.

I’ve no idea at what point its most efficient, I presume arround 16degC as thats what the average temp on earth is and we’ll have evolved to suit.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I always find my legs seem to have no power on cold commutes too. More difficult to maintain an ideal operating temperature on stop:start commutes, compared to ‘just riding’ in the cold?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How much difference does temperature make to performance?’ is closed to new replies.