Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • How many people have a fat bike?
  • gowerboy

Me. Its brilliant.

cakefacesmallblock

Genesis Caribou here. Rigid fatbike, that and my long travel trailbike are, for me, the perfect, two bike , non roadie combo.

JoeG
    Free Member

Me.

Lummox

Me

matty456
    Free Member

Me

drofluf
    Free Member

For about 5 years now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No…
    But this is really a contender for thread of the year 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Ridiculous things, why would you?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Kinda hijak – why do people love them? Never ridden one so curious…what’s their niche?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Custom built 9zero7 here. full fat and a gravel bike. no skinny mtb here

drofluf
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    Kinda hijak – why do people love them? Never ridden one so curious…what’s their niche?

I ride mine for much the same reason as I ride my other bikes; because it’s fun!

zero-cool
    Free Member

I still don’t really see the point in them for UK use. They look like they’d be useful for a trip across the arctic or somewhere similar where you want something reliable and simple with the ability to ride over deep snow but in the UK they just look less fun than a bike with normal wheels. I mean skinny and regular tyres ride fine through snow and mud.

Inge only had a quick blast on a fat bike on a wet muddy day on Dartmoor and they just seemed slower and hard work.
    Like I said I’m sure if I popped to Alaska or Canada tomorrow and had a go it would be a different story.

Are they not just the fixie/Gravel/CX/niche bike of the moment and will all be up for sale in 12-18 months like those?

Tom KP.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Nope! Don’t have a single one…

Peajay, how’s your Wednesday? Was considering building one up, only concern was long top tube, not too sure that would be comfortable for long rides (:

Big-Pete
    Free Member

9 zero 7 with added bounce.

nickgti
    Free Member

Yup, Dune owner here. Love it

Fat bike is going to be slower in some situations but its much more fun and that’s kinda the point of riding anyway 😆

lapdog
    Free Member

Me

ScottChegg
    Free Member

they just look less fun than a bike with normal wheels

You might have to define what ‘normal’ looks lilke in your world.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Used to, may get another.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Yarp!

crispyrice

Me…

What is the point of this thread?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a go, but it wasn’t my thing.

zippykona

The point is that there were suddenly a lot of threads regarding fatties.
    Just wondering if it’s 2 people doing lots of posting or there’s a lot of us out there?
    I’ve seen one fat bike when I’ve been riding.
    It almost feels like a few years back when 29ers were the new thing on the block and held up for ridicule.
    Total mainstream now.

firestarter
    Free Member

Yup a cheap gooutdoors one it’s ace 🙂

Jossie

Me and my wife.

also have a fat front Jones and 29+ front option.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve seen one fat bike when I’ve been riding.

I’ve never seen any, which is why everyone around here wants to have a chat about it.

wwaswas

Me.

akasteve
    Free Member

Puffin and Krampus here.

Stiggy

Yup, full fat and semi.

hopkinsgm

I ride fat. Bought a s/h On One Fatty to try it out. It spent the next year or so being my most ridden bike – all year round, all conditions, did a bit of pretty much everything on it. So I decided to upgrade to something a little nicer/lighter.

Both of my fat bikes to date have been pretty good at most things – possibly not the fastest bikes for everything, but they have been the bikes that have made me smile the most. I love the hilarious monstertruck-ness of it, and I really like the way that at the start of club rides, you often hear “expecting snow are we?” type comments but by the end of the ride there’s usually someone asking “can I have a go?” 😉

rezis
    Free Member

Me. Duned…

fadda

And me. I love it because I feel like a kid again, riding stupid lines because I can, not because it’s “faster” or “better”

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Me!

hopkinsgm

I love it because I feel like a kid again, riding stupid lines because I can

This is what I was on about with my “hilarious monstertruck-ness” comment 😀

benji
    Free Member

Yep I’m a fatboy

piha
    Free Member

Me me me!

Haven’t used it this year though….

10pmix
    Free Member

I just bought a Cube Nutrail. Ridden it twice (including in the snow) and so far I’m very meh with it. Find it cumbersome and a bit boring. So if anyone wants to enlighten me or buy it then I’m all ears!

muddyground
    Free Member

OOF rider here. Bought because it was/is/always will be a stupid bike. Love it to bits, even if it does weigh near 40lb

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Another OOF, love it.

I just bought a Cube Nutrail. Ridden it twice (including in the snow) and so far I’m very meh with it. Find it cumbersome and a bit boring. So if anyone wants to enlighten me or buy it then I’m all ears!

Persevere, there’s a learning curve in letting the momentum do the work, there’s no point braking for corners where there’s plenty of grip only to have to accelerate again.

Similarly tyre pressures, it’s tempting to put more air in to offset the weight, but it doesn’t work. Go lower until the tyres start to roll around, which means softer on softer surfaces and harder on grippier ones. The right pressure makes a huge difference.

p.s. if you still want to sell it, and it’s a 19″ give me a shout

ade9933
    Free Member

zippykona

It has made me excited about riding again. I tend to ride the same trails on the same bike , so something different is a good thing.
    The fact you can get a whole new riding experience for £500 shouldn’t be overlooked. Can’t wait to get down to Saunton for an explore.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘How many people have a fat bike?’ is closed to new replies.