Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How long does it take to get used to clipless pedals?
  • PJay
    Free Member

… and is it worth it?

I’ve been riding for years, pootling around the countryside (gravel riding really, before the term existed) on hardtails for a mixture of fun and fitness. My current bike is a rigid Singular Swift and at 27lbs+ isn’t really built for speed (my rucksack with D-lock, inner tube, tools, drink and assorted bobbins probably weighs more that most folks’ road bikes too) so going faster per se isn’t really a big deal.

However, I’m not too set in my ways and occasionally dabble with new idea’s; I’ve recently tried this new fangled tubeless lark and I actually like it!

So, these clipless pedals then, they’re more efficient I believe and everyone seems to use them. I tried toe straps once and kept toppling over and am quite happy with flats.

Are clipless pedals easy to get the hang of and will they be a revelation, or should I just stick to what I know? I’m 50; old dog new tricks etc. etc.

geex
    Free Member

3 minutes

How long until you finally admit flat pedals were more fun to ride is another thing entirely

butcher

Relatively easy to get the hang of, but I doubt there is a single person who hasn’t had a ‘moment’.

Personally I don’t use them on MTB. I like to have my feet free on technical stuff. But for everything else they’re great. Smoother pedalling action and no slips. Unclipping becomes second nature after a while. The first few rides you just need to remember you’re clipped in…the nerves usually ensure you do.

The ‘moments’ generally come in a panic when you try to pull your feet straight off with brute force. Just remember to twist. Give some practice.

whitestone
    Free Member

A ride or two IME. Loosen the pedal tension off so it’s easy to unclip then just practice unclipping whilst leant up against something solid. When coming to a stop you just have to remember to unclip one side so you can put a foot down – this is the most common beginner error and is most amusing for onlookers 🙂

razorrazoo

I use flats on my mountainbike, clipless (SPDs rather than roadie ones) on my gravel/road bike.  I did try clips on the mtb, but I just don’t get on with them, and there is no real benefit for the riding I do, I much prefer a decent flat pedal / shoe.

In terms if my experience in learning with clipless.  If you are just pootling then you’ll have no problem, so long as whilst you are getting used to them don’t crank up the tension too much (I actually left mine on lowest tension and don’t have any issues with coming unclipped) and give yourself enough time to unclip when coming to a stop (to avoid a panicked clipped in fall).  Learning on an mtb is a bit more of a steep curve as if doing slower, more technical stuff, then the chance of a clipped in fall is greater.

daern
    Free Member

Longer than the 3 minutes geex says, I’m afraid. As we get older, the body takes longer to be accustomed to new stuff and while kids might pick it up straight away (I think my son really did get the hang of it in 3 minutes), I know plenty of adults who still aren’t super confident on them after years of riding.

Stick ’em on, slacken the release (maybe even consider multi-release cleats, although I wouldn’t recommend them past the learning stage) and go ride some easy trails. Spend a lot of time practicing getting in and out of them and don’t forget you have two feet – make sure you practice unclipping both feet, not just your preferred one. Once you’ve got this as a natural movement, you can start some more technical stuff, initially you’ll probably want to unclip before a technical section, but with a bit of practice you’ll be staying clipped in more and more and, eventually, getting in and out will start to become second nature so you will stay clipped in the whole time.

You’ll fall over, guaranteed. Don’t let it put you off! Just get back on and keep practicing. Good luck!

andytherocketeer

3 minutes to get used to them

it’s the third ride when you’ve got used to them and you forget about them that’s the issue 😉

then after that you’ll do the twist your foot thing to remove them from flat pedals the next time you go back 😉

SPD’s for road, gravel, xc etc.

Flats for hardcore injooro.

Trimix
    Free Member

Takes everyone a different amount of time.  Took me a couple of rides, that was about 20+ years ago now.

With clips, when you put your foot back on the pedal it will be in the same place, whereas on flats you may have to move it about a bit to get back to the same position.

I can unclip unconsciously so when I need to put a foot out I don’t even think about it.  It happens as fast as it would on a flat.

Clipped in I have more confidence doing techy stuff.  On flats when my feet bounce off the pedal Im then left clinging on to just the bars.

99% of the DH pros are clipped in.  100% of the XC riders are.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I started on multi release cleats and they made the process much easier. Still ride them 5 years later, albeit with the spring tension wound right up. Could not go back to flats now.

nickc

So, these clipless pedals then, they’re more efficient I believe

hmmm, I’m not certain that’s true of most regular people. I saw a study that showed even well trained athletes mostly still just used the down-stroke to produce their power, and even the ones that could pull up (rather than relax the leg on the upstroke) contributed very little to overall output. So for the casual user, I don’t think there’s much benefit in terms of power output.

I use them on my mountain bike, as I find 2 benefits 1. I can relax my foot, as I’m not having to use it to stay on the pedal, and for me, relaxing my foot means less pain over longer rides, and better control. and 2. I can control the back of the bike easier.

munrobiker
    Free Member

hmmm, I’m not certain that’s true of most regular people. I saw a study that showed even well trained athletes mostly still just used the down-stroke to produce their power, and even the ones that could pull up (rather than relax the leg on the upstroke) contributed very little to overall output. So for the casual user, I don’t think there’s much benefit in terms of power output.

That’s from that website set up 15 years ago buy a guy who, for whatever reason, thinks SPDs are the work of the devil. It’s hardly credible.

I’d say it’ll take you at least a handful of rides for it to feel natural, a few months for it to become second nature. It is absolutely worth it – they are more efficient and in technical stuff you have much more control over the bike than with flats. There’s a reason why absolutely all the fast guys use them (other than Sam Hill, the exception that proves the rule).

VanHalen

for me, being honest, about 6 months to get to the unconcious unclipping.

I like em. i like flats too. i change depending on mood. flats for winter as a rule as we have LOT of sniper roots locally. clps for BPW antur etc where bouncing feet could be an issue.

for xc/peddaling its a no brainer. i definately get less fatigued.

I`d start with a platform clip as clipping back in consistently is the hardest bit. well, the ground after toppling over sideways at a traffic light, is really hard too.  (you will do this)

oikeith

I was curious and dabbled with clips and here I am a year later and still riding them! helped with what was bugging me on flats where my feet would bounce around on the pedals on the rough stuff. I have also found myself committing to tech sections more where as before I would have got the foot out to tripod along!

As above, start off with no tension and add as you get used to it, I actually found it wasnt the getting out which was tough, it was getting back in now and again, but as I have got used to it, it has become more second nature, although where a foot is out and I am rolling along sometimes I found it difficult to get the foot back in when in motion due to the movement of the bike, pedal and foot etc but this is quite rare TBH

cookeaa

I’m now an SPD user (and SPD SL) across all my bikes, having previously been quite happy on Flats for a good couple of decades…

They’re more efficient I believe and everyone seems to use them.

The efficiency point is is debatable (IMO), especially off road, personally I think it’s a mainly stiffer soled shoes that add “efficiency” (which an SPD shoe typically is) but  then there’s something to be said for the comfort and “feel” that comes from the bit of give in the sole of a trainer (Discuss)…

I tried toe straps once and kept toppling over and am quite happy with flats.

This would persuade me to stick with flats TBH, but the in/out action on SPDs is different to the old “Toe clip flip”…

Are clipless pedals easy to get the hang of

Yes, relatively easy but it isn’t instantiations for everyone.

and will they be a revelation

Hard to say, probably not, they just feel like pedals most of the time…

or should I just stick to what I know? I’m 50; old do new tricks etc. etc.

Only you can really decide this… as you say always be open to new things, but be prepared to drop them if it’s not right for you.

I reckon it would take most people a good couple of rides ( say 20 miles with a mixture of up/down flat and technical riding) to get used to/comfortable with clipping in/out.

For a lot of riders the main deal breaker seems to be “Foot dabbing” or being able to unclip and re-clip in an emergency. Flats get most people used to being able to pop a foot down whenever they like. Because the twist to release action is a little alien and then you need to be moderately precise when re-placing a foot some people give up quite quickly.

I wouldn’t suggest trying multi-release cleats, but maybe set the binding tension lowish to start with while you’re learning the action.

I would suggest finding a cheap pair of M520 pedals (or M424 if you want a bit of a cage), and some decent (but not expensive) shoes (DHB or decathlon are worth a look) just to try the concept out, and be prepared to flip both on via ebay for a minor loss should the whole thing not take within a couple of weeks…

geex
    Free Member

If you can ride technically challenging terrain consistently feet up on flats you’ll have very little issues riding the same terrain clipped in. infact you’ll suddenly realise what the real advantage of being cliped in on a mountainbike is. Hint: It’s not improved pedalling efficiency. it’s no longer having to think about your foot placement, added security and the ability to place the bike without having to first pre-load the pedals.

If you struggle to commit to riding technically challenging terrain keeping both feet on your flat pedals and tend to remove a foot for safety/stability SPDs are probably not going to help you too much until you alter your entire riding style.

Either way. it’s good to try something new and it’s even better to become proficient at more than one style of riding.

It honestly does only take 3 minutes to learn the clipping in and clipping out procedure. The rest is up to you.

kerley
    Free Member

Takes everyone a different amount of time.  Took me a couple of rides, that was about 20+ years ago now

Yep, same for me.  Same when riding fixed for first time not long after.  Over handle bars on first ride, never once had a problem in the 15+ years since.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Everything geex just said is correct in my experience.

mm93
    Free Member

Love SPD’s on the gravel bike when riding easy trails, footpaths and fire roads etc.

Absolutely cannot handle being clipped in on technical ,slippery,rooty trails on my mountain bike though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

pootling around the countryside

why bother?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Clipping in and out was a couple of rides and if anything it was after about half a dozen rides when your mind relaxes and you stop thinking about the pedals that it feels like you’re at more of a risk of a comedy fall when you come to a stop. I’ve had one proper stationary sideway fall and a couple of didn’t quite get out in time but managed some sort of stumbled recovery half falls

Being fully confident descending or riding anything technically challenging clipped in took a lot longer maybe 6-9 months.

martymac

Not sure about 3 minutes, ime most people have 1 or occasionally 2 stationary ‘offs’ before they start to unclip automatically.

there’s no doubt that you ‘can’ put more power through the cranks, as it’s possible to pull up as well as push down on the pedals. I doubt anyone could add any useful power for long though.

the main advantages imo are consistent foot placement on the pedal, and the stiffer shoes mean less fatigue on the foot.

an spd equipped bike is a little easier to manoeuvre through doorways or lie in the boot of the car too.

i love em, xt spd are great, the cheapest £20 ones are almost as good tho.

platform spd? Wouldn’t bother.

thats my 2p, ymmv.

don’t buy cheap shoes though, soles won’t be stiff enough eh.

philjunior
    Free Member

I think it more comes down to being able to have shoes that are right for the job. But it doesn’t really matter, it’s nothing like the difference you’d get from tubeless.

The only thing that puts me off flats is staying on them in bumpy stuff. Might try them again at some point. I’ve been riding SPDs for 20+ years though, and have little issue unclipping. Of course you can’t “eject” in the same way you can with flats, but there are few times that’s an issue in my riding (or I’d definitely fit flats).

I reckon it took a good few months, perhaps years, to really make unclipping second nature. Still had a few problems as back in the day the early designs clogged up with mud more and you got stuck clipped in and toppled over.

With the variety of decent flat pedals about, that weren’t really available (at least in any sort of affordable form for teenage me) when I started riding SPDs, I would say there’s little reason to go SPD.

But maybe give it a try, borrow some shoes and pedals if you can and see if you feel any benefit for your riding (bit more ground clearance might be a benefit from time to time).

prawny

2 minutes downhill, 300 years technical skinny uphill with drops on the side.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take a look at the CB getting used to it range of cleats in fresh goods friday, start with the easy release and move up to the normal ones when you swap them out. No need to worry about pedal tension then. Also much easier to clip in and out IMHO in is forward/backwards and straight down compared to the shimano method and they shed mud much better – also much more reliable then any previous ones before somebody starts.

I run Candies on my gravel bike and they are just great.

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, lots to think about and they might be worth a try.

pootling around the countryside

why bother?

Well yes, and this was something I was thinking about when posting the question. I’m not remotely skilled or technical but I do ride a reasonable amount (about 70 miles a week) with a mix of on and off road (the balance being on road). I try and keep the effort level such that there’s a nice balance between fun and fitness.

(I’m also drop bar curious for no particular reason, but that’s for another thread!)

mcnultycop

I don’t use clipless on the MTBs, mainly because I like to know I can get my foot down quickly on techy climbs.  Clipless on the “gravel” and road bikes is a must in my opinion.

I reckon it takes about 10 minutes to get used to them, but about three rides in you will forget and fall over at the lights.  Maybe stick a note on your bars.

smurf
    Free Member

20+ years in SPD and I’ve had a few moments…..even recently when commuting on the road bike (SPDs)

A physio who is also a bike fit expert has asked me to use SPD-SLs (road) cleats from now on so I can get them shimmed and have lots of float.

First time on those yesterday and I was struggling to clip in and I’d fallen off within a minute of leaving home as a failed attempt to clip in was combined with a heavy rucksack and over I went 🙁  First time in many, many years though.

By the end of the ride home (so 11 miles all in) I’d just about got used to them.

I’ve found it handy being able to pull up and push down for high power moments like climbing, getting over obstacles and shooting away from the lights

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not looking to perpetuate the flats vs clipless debate that will undoubtedly rage on, but there are many myths being peddled here.

When you are used to clipless then  they are just as easy and quick  to get out of than flats – I have used clips or clipless as long as I can remember, and came from toe clips even on my MTB, so second nature to me and have never had a moment, well not for as long as I can remember at least, so when you are used to them they are just as convenient than flats for getting out of in a hurry.

On pedalling efficiency – these days with powermeters that can measure your power on upstrokes then people will be training and taking advantage of the upstroke. For me I know I do. I’ve trained myself to on spin classes and when I ride a bike with flat pedals I often lose the pedal when I’m looking for more power, say on a climb, because I lift my foot off the pedal. Also at high pedal cadences it’s difficult to keep your foot on the pedal because you have to maintain positive pressure on the pedal on the upstrokes, which is now counter to my natural pedal style where i’ll pull up on the pedal. Also pedalling  out of the saddle on a steep climb I struggle to do now with flats as I really use the upstroke much more as the body position is far more conducive to it.

As to how long it will take for it to become second nature – depends on the clip system really. I don’t get on with shimano SPD – I find them more notchy, difficult to clip in and out of (you have to be much more accurate, and I have the odd unintended unclip due to their narrow release angle, which I never have with Time. I much prefer Time on the MTB and Look on the road bike. If I do ride SPD I find it takes a bit of getting used to and I’m not quite as comfortable, but that’s probably more about getting used to whatever kit you’re using.

Give it a go, like a good few months, and maybe avoid the more technical riding you do to give you chance to get used to them. You need to get to a point where you don’t have to think about it when unclipping. You need to think  about leading with your heal when you do take your foot off the pedal and not lifting at all – if there  is any lifting component when trying to unclip then they can catch and delay getting your foot out, but if you make sure it is 100% a lateral/rotational movement, leading with your heal, then even if you still have power on the pedal they will unclip as easily and quickly as you like.

docgeoffyjones

this study suggests that pulling up and spinning circles is less efficient and does not generate as much torque as just pushing.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4d2b/6a4a20dfb217553d88105cc3fe5102dddf96.pdf

sarawak
    Free Member

When I was a tester I did some decent rides clipped in and just pushing.

One winter I spent the whole time teaching myself to pull and push. The next summer I was regularly doing PBs. My times tumbled, but it took a whole winter to get used to the technique, and even then I had to keep reminding myself to do it.

Can’t do that on flats!

geex
    Free Member

No. But you can improve your pedalling technique and efficiency on flats too.

Not that it matters here

Northwind

I found it really easy to adapt. Then once I adapted, I forgot I was clipped in, and fell off into a load of bins.

beano68
    Free Member

Which clip in pedals would you recommend for beginners and ones that have a bit of play ?

antigee

Switched back to flats for tech(ish) mtb but for road and gravel clips every ride

Don’t compare with toe straps way way easier a good safe way to learn is on a turbo trainer if can borrow or at gym on spin bike if using shimano spds though can be knackered

Over many years had a few stupid slow offs mostly in groups when setting off and some one distracts with a plan change  or set off and think more about navigation than being clipped….. only rule is if got a banana in pocket ( not a euphemism) fall away from the fruit!

dudeofdoom

Just get a pair of the shimano mtb spds or eggbeaters an a reasonable pair of shoes, then get next to a wall (so you have something to support stop you falling)and spend 20 minutes getting the hang of the clip on twisty clip out. practise tilting bike each side and releasing that foot.

Then ride…the thing is to get happy with slowing down and releasing to put your foot down and your golden.

Its the slow stall which tends to dump you.

Ride both hate spd’s but they’re really not that hard to get the hang of.

(you will fall off when some numpty stops suddenly in front and blocks you but that’s the charm of them)

I may have fallen into a few bushes but the best was in front of  the rectors garden in front of the rectoress.(always giggley offs thou not the oh fuuu type)

Good pedalling technique trumps all thou….

funkmasterp

I’d recommend the Time Atac Pedals for your first foray. They have a decent sized platform so will feel familiar to start with in my opinion. They are also a doddle to clip in and out of and have a bit of float. You can also move your feet a bit without unclipping.

I prefer flats over clipless and don’t have many issues with feet bouncing off the pedals. I’m renowned for my awesome OTB and general coming off skillz. I’ve had a few occasions where being clipped in has made offs a lot worse. With flats you can pretty much jump off the bike in an instant when things go awry.

It’s all personal preference at the end of the day. Give them a go and see how you get on.

PJay
    Free Member

are many myths being peddled here

I see what you did there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just get a pair of the shimano mtb spds or eggbeaters an a reasonable pair of shoes,

If by egg beaters you mean CB pedals yes, if you mean the tiny race version with no platform then leave them for a while (or forever) the candies or mallet e are where I would start (again for the reasons in my post above)

kiwicraig

I just can’t do SPDs. I have a pair and went about six months using them on my road bike but personally I find flats more comfortable. I run flats and five tens on my dh, enduro, cross and road bike (full carbon, ultegra, 7kg, flat pedals!)

I get a lot of grief for it but just use what makes you comfortable. I did a 3400km bike packing trip, roughly 180km every day for 3 weeks on flat pedals. Everyone said I was mad and maybe clips may have been slightly more efficient but it worked for me and I kept up no dramas.

There’s an interesting GCN video where they test it in a lab and the difference is less than they thought.

martinhutch

I gave it about six rides and gave up. Clipping back in on steeper ground after gates etc was the deal-breaker for me.

I discovered I do like to change foot position slightly for climbing/descending too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How long does it take to get used to clipless pedals?’ is closed to new replies.