Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How f***ing much? KLM charges for bicycle carriage.
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

I thought those crazy Dutch had started a bizarre form of comedy when I checked their website earlier for information on the carriage of bicycles. 150 Euros, each way!

Obviously a little intrigued I phoned KLM and found out that they haven’t branched into some, as yet untapped form of comedy but it was in actual fact how much they charge to carry a bicycle.

Now seeing as my normal luggage will only take up one of my two allowed pieces of baggage I enquired as to whether, because the weight of my bicycle will be below the maximum weight of standard baggage I would be able to count it as my second piece. The answer I’m sure you’ve guessed was a resounding no.

The question is, is it possible to strip a 26″ hard tail (a DB Love/Hate if you must know) small enough to fit into a normal suitcase rather than a bike bag and if so would it be illegal to check it in as such rather than declare it as sports equipment. Surely what is in a suitcase, as long as its not hazardous to the aircraft, is my business?

Unfortunately alternative airlines are not available as only KLM/Northwestern fly into my destination (Detroit) from the UK.

MrAgreeable

But they give you a free cardboard box. 😉

If you’re willing to take the Holeshot instead you might be able to fit it in one of these.

http://www.danscomp.com/731010.php

frepster
    Free Member

Ive done this when taking 2 bikes to BC. I put my DH bike in my bike bag and fitted my chromag into my normal luggage. My frame and wheels went in my suitcase, and my forks,bars and drivetrain went into my Rucksack. This was a PITA and i only did it because i was moving out there. I wouldnt do it for a weeks trip.

Can you fly to Chicago? everyone flies there and its not that far away.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Hmmm, I could take the Holeshot but it’d still have 26″ wheels.

The biggest items are obvious the wheels, forks and frame.

I need a suitcase that can hold 26″ wheels. I could take a full sus (Giant Trance) instead which means it could be broken down into main frame/swing arm to allow smaller pieces to pack, allowing me to distribute bits among our other luggage and my forks (Pace RC40s if I take the Trance) can be wound down to make them shorter.

willyboy
    Free Member

I had this issue once. I managed to get my bike in a very large suitcase (just) but it took a lot of dismantling/ careful packing/ time.
    I think it was due to continental not taking bikes at the time and me having forgotten to check this when i booked the flight.

MrAgreeable

Padded guitar or bass bag might also be worth a try.

uplink
    Free Member

As you suggested – I’d just get something like a large plasma TV box or similar & check it on as normal luggage

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately alternative airlines are not available as only KLM/Northwestern fly into my destination (Detroit) from the UK.

But presumably there are other airlines who fly into Detroit from other places you could get a flight to? eg a quick check shows you can get there with BA via Chicago.

phyncra
    Free Member

This why all the americans I know now ride ritchey breakaways etc.

A few years ago KLM used to be 40 Euro each way and I thought that was a bit steep.

phyncra
    Free Member

ohh and BA dont charge for bikes

phyncra
    Free Member

Looking at the KLM website I dont think they have changed their policy. You either pay for you bike on a ‘by weight’ or ‘by piece’ basis. So long as you dont exceed two pieces of baggage (one being the bike) I think you can pay on a ‘by weight’ basis which is 40 euro.

I could of course be talking out my hole!

scaredypants

I bought a trance for exactly this reason last year – got booked onto American instead of airNZ and charge was ludicrous. Large trance goes into a biggish suitcase nicely, only undid 4 bolts I think

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Scaredypants – Did you have to drop the forks out?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

phyncra – They have a ‘by weight’ system and ‘by piece’ system.

Flights to the US use the ‘by piece’ system which means that a bike can’t be included under your normal baggage entitlement, even if it falls under the weight allowance per bag.

phyncra
    Free Member

That kinda makes more sense – ive only ever flown to Japan with them and used the by weight system.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I guess their baggage handlers have got fed up with lugging big bags.

Baggage handlers’ disregard for people’s property has cost me dear over the years. 2 bikes and a sailboard badly damaged.

If we pay “an arm and a leg” to have these large items shipped, the airlines should be culpable for any damage – no quibble, especially when fees are as ridiculous as those of KLM!

Digimap
    Free Member

Fly to chicago and drive the 150miles.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Digimap – Most of the airlines that fly into Chicago charge for bicycles too, with Delta being the worst at $200 each way.

Virgin and BA don’t charge but the flight prices are higher.

Does anyone reckon I could get a Giant Trance into one of these?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Scaredypants – When you say ‘biggish suitcase’ do you have any idea about the actual dimensions of the suitcase you used?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

26″ wheels are about 20″ with the tires off?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

23″ according to my tape measure.

johnners
    Free Member

26″ wheels are about 20″ with the tires off?

More like 22-23″

devs
    Free Member

Hire when you get there.

scaredypants

soz – been out riding

Yeh, I did take the fork off – sorry, implied that I hadn’t done anything else but I didn’t actually try to fit it with the fork on so might have gone

I’ll measure the case tomorrow

edit: (hiring isn’t easy – at least in california – they’re too worried about getting sued)

tangent
    Free Member

I flew with KLM out to where I am (Oslo) with my Dekerf in a bike bag … no cost at all! …unless you count hours & hours of sitting around cos they’d chronically overbooked all the flights blah blah…goodluck with your trip!

tangent
    Free Member

could send by a courier to you destination ahead of time in a eBay stylee?…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

tangent – KLM have different allowance systems for Europe and flights to North America.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Oh and Scaredypants, that’d be really helpful, thanks.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I’d be supprised if you could fit a standard HT in a suitacase, or a roadbike – i’ve tried to, but couldn’t get it to fit in a pretty big case, even with a compact road frame. A FS bike looks dooable thou – some of those american cases look pretty massive thou, gotta have the room for all those XXXXl Hawian shirts i guess.

scaredypants

Just been to measure up:

case has gone ! It was an old battered one & the wife has binned it since then.

It was smaller than 30×22 is all I can say for sure (guessing about 28x20or21 ??). The frame fit in easily once the front & back were separated (didn’t bother taking off the mech) even though I reinforced with quite a lot of cardboard sheet and some bracing between the sides (it was a VERY soft fabric case). I got plenty of clothing in there as well.

NB, for clarification of what I hope was implicit – 30×22 won’t take wheels (I did have a bigger case that I thought would take at least the rear wheel as well but AA had a small maximum case dimension for standard bags and would’ve exceeded that – and maybe the weight limit too). I packed em in a cardboard wheel box instead – again lots of other stuff – and put in as a normal “bag”. They didn’t even blink and it had “BIKE PARTS” written all over it

Macgyver

The airline charges are one reason we went for couplings on our Tandem
    Two cases slightly under 26 inches square and about 10 inches across. See linky for how it packs up.

http://img359.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img359/1126/1217114195r33.smil

That said, pulling apart my yeti to replace the main swing arm bushings did make me realise how small I could break it down if need be.

Macgyver

sootyandjim
    Free Member

scaredypants – Thanks very much for the info. I have a CRC wheel box in the loft so I’ll give that a go.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Easy one this.

Don’t go to Detriot.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Kind of difficult considering its where a lot of my family live.

mk1fan
    Free Member

If they’re that important then don’t leave Detriot.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Eh? Rather simplistic approach you have there.

Back under your bridge young man.

STL

Can you mail it to the family in Detroit?

Since the fuel costs went up most of the airlines are charging for even international flights.

Sometimes using the curb-side check-in helps (giving a small tip to ease this process!) but that is probably not an option as you are flying internationally.

Might be worth looking into a loaner instead.

I ride a tiny bike but haven’t found a way to get it into a suitcase. Wish I could.

STL

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m not trolling. Simple solution to your problem.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

How is that simple?

Up sticks and move my entire family to North America in order to be near one half of my family, leaving the other half in the UK and thus having not alleviated the problem of travelling by air in order to see my family.

Durrr, Joey!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘How f***ing much? KLM charges for bicycle carriage.’ is closed to new replies.