Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • How do you inject an interest into politics?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Because politics is inherently effng boring.
    I care nothing about 99% of what goes on in the Houses of Parliament because it only affects me in a negative way. It takes money and spends on things I resent paying for.
    I can do nothing about that so the best way to keep my blood pressure safe is to avoid thinking about it.
    The principle of democracy was great in ancient Greece as you could have you say but now we don’t . We vote for the person who does the least damage to our own views and interests and they never ever ask us what we think. No one asked me about the Scottish issue. No one asks me anything. My bloody MP became some sort of minor minister. He didn’t ask me if I minded him doing the job and as there are only 24 hours in a day that job meant he had less hours to be fighting the local cause or listening to his voters.
    To say that we should become involved is silly. No politician has ever done anything radical. the whole point of the job is to stay in power.
    Nevil Shute had a useful point when he was suggesting that people in power should have independent means. That way you don’t care about your job, you get on with it. The best politicians will be those who don’t care if they go.
    Our MPs toe the party line not fight for their voters. I expect mine to raise hell if an issue arises that harms my area. I care nothing if he brings down party hate on his head. His job is to stand up for me, not the bloody government.
    Politicians pussy foot about trying to offend no one. Arseholes.
    Frankly I have better things to do than join a club that I despise.
    And you buggers have no wound me up something rotten . 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I care nothing about 99% of what goes on in the Houses of Parliament because it only affects me in a negative way. It takes money and spends on things I resent paying for.

Not really. Now I’m no Tory, but for example in the Commons they debate legislation that attracts business to our country, and this helps our economy. We’ve been in a recession, but don’t overlook the fact that our economy is generally respectable in terms of performance.

Our MPs toe the party line not fight for their voters.

Yes, serious problem imo.

spchantler
    Free Member

make everyone over the age of 21 responsible for it. everyone on the electoral roll gets 6 months paid work in local government, parliament has less powers, local government gets more. fines if you don’t do it, a bit like jury service, names chosen at random. probably unworkable, but i’d love a go…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Probably get someones interest…

mogrim

Nevil Shute had a useful point when he was suggesting that people in power should have independent means. That way you don’t care about your job, you get on with it. The best politicians will be those who don’t care if they go.

Ah, so only the rich can become MPs? Genius!

brooess
    Free Member

It’s sad when people say they won’t vote for Ed miliband because looks a bit weird. If we vote like that then we get the politicians we deserve, frankly.
    Refuse to vote for him because he appears to have no policy, maybe, but sod how comfortable he is in photos and on TV! It’s nasty IMO, like laughing at the odd-looking kid at school.

I think we need to be taught parliamentary politics at school – how the system works, how it was developed, political history, how each party has developed and what their core manifestos/philosophies are etc

Also party-neutral basic stuff whereby people understand that our pensions will be paid from the taxes of our children and grandchildren, taxes are NOT government money, but OUR money, that if we want more public services run by the state we have to pay more taxes, explain the difference between government deficit and government debt etc, benefits and pitfalls of running services by the state vs privatisation – the technical stuff.

Mind you, do politicians want us to understand all this stuff, really? Much harder to make insane promises like Brown did if we start asking difficult questions about how it’s going to be funded… I’m cynical that politicians really want a properly engaged and educated electorate

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why should people take an interest in politics? I can’t stand those who do trying to force their opinions and interests on others. Also seeing such a bunch of self invested liars in politics completely switches many people off.

The same question could be asked of fiscal studies, medicine, sport, music etc. They all have the ability to drastically affect our life but it doesn’t mean we should care. It’s a crucial element of democracy – the right to apathy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Oh I see. I get cross with people for not making any kind of effort to get Welsh placenames right but I’ve really got no idea bout Gaelic, so I’ll have to brush up before I next go

me neither tbh. Unfortunately I know a shed load more Spanish(and that’s not a lot) than Gaelic. My granny and granda never passed it on, unfortunately. Tbh its nothing more than a screen name and a vague expression of my family history. Far as I know its pronounced showsiv, very soft v, or showsa. I’ll bow to others better knowledge.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Incidently, just back from an SSP meeting there. I’m going to go to meetings from different parties to sample what they have to say. And then consider getting involved.

Place was packed out the door and that was even them hiring a bigger hall than usual(well hall’s a bit of a stretch, but it was a good sized room.).

The referendum effect is most definately tangible.

seosamh77
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Why should people take an interest in politics?

because it directly affects your life? I’m not saying you should BTW. That question is entirely up to you if its relevant.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stop barefaced lying

Remind politicians that they are there to serve us not the other way round.

bencooper
    Free Member

Incidently, just back from an SSP meeting there. I’m going to go to meetings from different parties to sample what they have to say. And then consider getting involved.

Good stuff – I’m just back from a Green meeting. Normally they meet in a pub room, about 20 people turn up on a good day. This evening they booked the cricket clubhouse, expecting about 30-40, and over 300 turned up!

seosamh77
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Good stuff – I’m just back from a Green meeting. Normally they meet in a pub room, about 20 people turn up on a good day. This evening they booked the cricket clubhouse, expecting about 30-40, and over 300 turned up!

Aye, I knew that was happening, couple of mates joined the greens and mentioned to me. I was wanting to go along, but I opted for the SSP as my brother and another couple of mates where going to that.

Did they mention when there should be another Green meeting? I’d like to hear them out.

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s going to be some local branch meetings in the next week or two around Glasgow – probably best watch Twitter/FB for those. I think the Glasgow-wide ones are monthly, hopefully they’ll book a larger venue for next time 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool, I’ll try and catch a southside one next week or after then! ta.

bencooper
    Free Member

Southside meeting is in the State Bar*, 9th October, 7pm.

*Yes, that’s north of the river because the venue approached south of the river are, and I quote, “capitalist bastards” 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

North of sauchiehall street it where no mans land begins, so I’ll be fine in the state bar! 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘How do you inject an interest into politics?’ is closed to new replies.