• This topic has 1,253 replies, 177 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Earl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,254 total)
  • How do you decide which crypto currency to buy?
  • sirromj

Yes the cryptography element is mainly to ensure the immutability of past records in the block chain isn’t it?

… And the security of new transactions ofc.

dissonance

And yet I specifically mentioned BAT and Helium.

I didnt think you wanted your suggestions picking apart but since you mention them again.
    If I follow you correctly you were trying to use these as examples of cutting out the middleman? Which given both of these are controlled by a single organisation who are inserting themselves as middlemen (Brave with their browser advertising model and Nova Labs with their bandwidth model) I am struggling to see why? You are tied into their ecosystem.
    The NFT and stolen bikes doesnt really work either. Even leaving aside I assume most people know the bike they are buying is stolen (hence the bargain price) how would an NFT help? How do you associate it with a bike and how do you stop me moving them around. Who has the master rights over generating new nfts to stop me sticking one on the one I borrowed?

CountZero

Are people still getting involved in these things? While I admit I have zero understanding of how they’re supposed to work, they just strike me as glorified Ponzi schemes.

BruceWee

Against that background, anyone who appears to have a clear view of the matter is going to have to expect questions.

On this thread the only people who have a clear view are the people who are fundamentally against crypto.

Despite loudly hailing the fact they know nothing about it.

Those of us who have looked into it a bit range from mildly curious to pretty optimistic. Few would claim to know where it is going though. That’s a game for the True Believers.

I didnt think you wanted your suggestions picking apart but since you mention them again.

No, I said it would be very easy to pick apart. As would Netflix and Ebay (and, in fact, the entire internet back in 1995).

But you said I failed to take into account of how crypto interacts with the real world. That’s completely wrong.

Whether these projects are going to succeed or not is a different matter. Ask me in 20 years. Until then, I’m not getting into a, ‘but this will happen, no this will happen.’ argument. It’s completely pointless.

Which given both of these are controlled by a single organisation who are inserting themselves as middlemen (Brave with their browser advertising model and Nova Labs with their bandwidth model) I am struggling to see why? You are tied into their ecosystem.

In what way are you tied into their ecosystem? You can exchange BAT or HNT for whatever token you like. You can even exchange them for fiat if you want.

dissonance

Despite loudly hailing the fact they know nothing about it.

Because we dont believe in the dream?

Those of us who have looked into it a bit range from mildly curious to pretty optimistic.

Because of course only you and the other true believers have actually looked into it.

No, I said it would be very easy to pick apart. As would Netflix and Ebay (and, in fact, the entire internet back in 1995).

Apart from, as I pointed out, this is rubbish.
    By 1995 the web (I assume you mean that rather than the internet) had a clear purpose. It had some challenges and, in my opinion, seemed to have a brighter future than has happened but there was no question about the utility.

But you said I failed to take into account of how crypto interacts with the real world. That’s completely wrong.

Aside from your explanations are at the the equivalent of the mobile phone patent boom when sticking “on a phone” rendered any historical precedence for it on normal computers apparently irrelevant. So I would stick with not thinking it through. Announcing NFTs could solve stolen bikes is about the same as announcing lollipops could.

In what way are you tied into their ecosystem? You can exchange BAT or HNT for whatever token you like.

Because they control the initial provision. I mean fair play to them for coming up with a method where they pay with their own magic money rather than cash so i guess thats an upside of “crypto”. Its just I disagree about it being a good one.

the-muffin-man

So Paypal are pausing Crypto sales from Oct 1st for a few months – I presume these FCA regs apply to other crypto platforms too? I’ve not seen any emails from Kraken.

stumpy01

I’ve not used Paypal, but I did have an e-mail from HSBC the other day telling me they are limiting the amount they are allowing customers to transfer to crypto exchanges – it was something like £10000/day or a £25000 weekly limit.
    Given that I have only been transferring something like £200 at a time when I have been buying, I am not too concerned.

sirromj

Kinda lost interest in it, used to go on daily an collect my “rewards” etc and once a week update my totals spreadsheet to try and keep track of what it was doing etc.

Which is handy actually, not updated it for 81 days. I put in what my ‘portfolio’ is worth before I update it, then what it is worth after updating it, and boom, a positive value!!

What this tells me is I’ve earnt £35.76 of rewards over the past 81 days. It also tells me the whole lot is worth £308.89 less than it was 81 days ago, but let’s take the positives shall we!?

nickc
    stumpy01

nickc

11,000 years in jail

Well yeah, but we all know he’ll be out in 5,500 years with good behaviour!

Chew
    Free Member

Wait until the trial of Sam Bankman-Fried starts….

The last things you want to do is get on the wrong side of all of the big US financial institutions.

oceanskipper

Any one got any Tellor (TRB)? I bought £100 worth off the back of my Helium mining a week ago and it’s worth £155 now…. It might pay for a new front Strada Bianca tyre! This time next year Rodney….

sirromj

Well yeah, but we all know he’ll be out in 5,500 years with good behaviour!

If it’s any reflection of shitcoins it’ll be 0.5 years.

This time next year Rodney….

£15 if you’re lucky!

oceanskipper

Well £70 up on the day and I’ve sold now as otherwise I’ll be up all night watching it!

GeForceJunky

If anyone has money in Nicehash, make sure you move it before the 10th October, they are pulling out of the UK market due to regulation.

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Looks as though crypto market is going bonkers again,any one any idea why as can’t really find much info on it,and as it’s still fairly useless i think anyway I just don’t understand why it’s had this run in last month or so.

the-muffin-man

I was just about to post the same!

Etherium, Bitcoin, Cardano – most of the major ones up 30% plus in the last month.

I may yet get that solid gold yacht! 🤣

frankconway

I’ve been cynical about crypto since BC launched but crypto isn’t going away.
    The next BC halving is likely to be sometime in 2024 and the forecasts are that will drive a significant price increase so…I’m about to invest upto £2k in BC via eToro as a long term hold.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

most of the major ones up 30% plus in the last month.

I’m still 30% down 😂

sirromj

Yep! But….. If my 3 main bags reach their respective ATHs and I’ve timed my unbondings right I could be taking home a brand new e-bike.

CountZero

A. I don’t.

oceanskipper

the-muffin-man

Well – it keeps rising. Etherium up 51% in a month, Cardano up 53%.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Well – it keeps rising. Etherium up 51% in a month, Cardano up 53%.

I think a lot of the bigger cryptos are still wedded to BTC, thats on a run at the moment as I think the financial institutions ETFs are starting to buy bigly into it, possibly getting in before the halfing (halving?) next month (IIRC). It’ll drag them along with it.

sirromj

Btc has been rising more consistently than most of the altcoins I got.

alpin
    Free Member

It’s only worth something once you’ve sold it.

A couple of friends in Germany will be happy…. They wisely/stupidly (delete as appropriate) put lots of their Corona support for self employed into crypto and the state is now asking for it back…. Nice timing for them!

sirromj

It’s only worth something once you’ve sold it.

Yeah, one of mine in January went from £50 worth of nothing to near £1000. Unfortunately it was locked in staking and by the time it had unbonded, guess what.

bens
    Free Member

frankconway

I’ve been cynical about crypto since BC launched but crypto isn’t going away.

The next BC halving is likely to be sometime in 2024 and the forecasts are that will drive a significant price increase so…I’m about to invest upto £2k in BC via eToro as a long term hold.

I think it’s good advice not to leave it on etoro. Get a wallet. Hardware or software, either is better than leaving on an exchange.

Also…

~30% increase?

Nice.

andykirk
    Free Member

Yes for sure if you have anything of real value move it onto an external hardware wallet or at the very least distribute your holdings around various places/ wallets on the net.

The amount of money moving into the Bitcoin ETFs in the states is staggering, and similar ETFs are starting to pop in other countries now.  Of course we in the UK can’t buy into the USA Bitcoin ETFs…. yet.  Thank goodness the government is protecting us from making money.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Of course we in the UK can’t buy into the USA Bitcoin ETFs…. yet”.

TBF you can, you just have to find the right broker.

Because Bitcoin etfs are seen as complex instruments another level of bureaucracy is bought into play and “high street” retail brokers don’t want to touch it.

That doesn’t mean to say others will not.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

But to answer the OP question….

A bit like going to the dogs and picking a mutt with the similar name as your mate or ex girlfriend.

Well that’s why I had a punt the other week on Oasis Network ROSE … lol

But £25/week into bitcoin, via Revolt, over the last few years is looking alright at the moment.

andykirk
    Free Member

Ah OK thanks Ro5ey.  Not willing to go to off the high street brokers at this point.

Surely the UK will have its own Bitcoin ETF… soon… ish…

I can’t trust myself to not lose my seed phrase.

finbar
    Free Member

Kraken/Gemini exchanges are pretty well-proven now, I’d not have qualms about holding small-medium amounts of BTC on one of those. No concerns about seed phrase then.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Just remember once crypto starts appearing in mainstream news it’s normally too late to buy.

BruceWee

I’m surprised it’s already bouncing off the all time high.  Wasn’t expecting to see that before the next halving.

peekay

Given the reasonably large amount of media coverage a few years ago when the BTC price was similar, and the even larger media noise around the subsequent crash, I’m surprised that I haven’t seen much this time around. Other than checking the prices every time this thread pops up, I haven’t seen much else.

finbar
    Free Member

ETFs are buying 10,000 coins a day. Halving will reduce production by 450 coins a day.

It’s pretty wild.

I’m somewhat surprised there haven’t been more media stories the past few days too – but I think when (/if) it breaches the USD high (GBP already gone) we’ll see more coverage.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

NEW HIGH !!

dlr

My £40 investment in bitcoins looking nice right now, was down to about £18 at one point.

So do we think the value will tumble after halving? Looking at the previous graphs it only went down a bit before recovering.

Guaranteed I will get it wrong if I do sell it at some point 😀

andrewh
    Free Member

I was wondering if now would be a good time to sell but I’ve discovered that I’m rubbish at trading so I’ve got my Ethereum either staked or in a hard wallet to stop myself doing that.

I’ve told myself I’ll cash it all in when there’s enough to clear my mortgage, if Ethereum hits £20k tomorrow that’ll be it, if it drops to 7p then it’ll be in 26 years time…. It could be either 🤣

I’ll just keep trickling money in and holding, £15 a week into bitcoin and £25 a month into ether, I can afford to lose that if it does all go wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.