Home Forums Bike Forum How do you clean up and dispose of fork oil?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How do you clean up and dispose of fork oil?
  • thered

You know, the nasty looking sludgy stuff in a bucket after servicing your forks.

Bruce

Put it into a suitable container and take it to the local tip for proper disposal.

nickc

There’s supposed to be about 10ml in my forks, after a service (every 6 months or so) the drops that come out, I wipe up with a cloth and throw in the trash.

bikerevivesheffield

Put into a 5l screenwash bottle with old mineral oil also and take to the tip

big_scot_nanny

I have a V large bowl of ‘nasty fluid stuff’, various brake and suspension oils with lovely pollutants and muck (from inside hydraulic things). When it eventually becomes a tipping/spilling liability, it goes in a container and to the tip as above.

Interestingly, and worryingly, I twice tipped a small amount (like 20ml worth) down the outside drain that captures the garage roof stand pipe, and both times for a couple of days after the water from the utility room tap really didn’t taste great. Weird, and not good, I don’t do that anymore. (and apologies to SEPA).

andrewh
    Free Member

I just add it to the bottle of used engine oil which one day I’ll take to the tip

binman

Lower leg fork oil gets wiped out of the bucket with a rag and put in the residual waste bin (maybe used to light the chiminia in summer) . Some fork legs only have 3cc and some 10 when fresh. I am sure there is half of that left when I eventually service them.

andybrad

Just pop it down the drain

no i dont i absorb it with paper towel and throw it away.

marksnook
    Free Member

I have a bottle I put brake fluid/oil in. I plan to take it to the tip but periodically knock it over and spill it on the garage floor so it hasn’t become full yet!
    I should find a bottle with a lid really..

a11y

I’ve almost always got some old car engine oil awaiting going to the recycling centre, so mine goes in there with that.

DrJ

I was storing nasty stuff in an old milk bottle in the garage until I found that it had been nibbled through. Not sure if the mouse was after the plastic, the residual milk or the hydrocarbons.

jamesoz

I use it to treat fence posts, like the old engine oil trick. It’s taking bloody ages.

Actually it goes in with old mower andcar oil, then to the tip to argue with the tip bloke that it isn’t trade waste, has to be in a 5 litre max container apparently. Pour in waste oil before argument is complete.

davros
    Free Member

Normally ends up on the dining room floor.

fooman
    Free Member

Mine gets soaked into the living room carpet, then the insurance comes and sorts it all out.

jamesoz

I was storing nasty stuff in an old milk bottle in the garage until I found that it had been nibbled through. Not sure if the mouse was after the plastic, the residual milk or the hydrocarbons.

It had a bit of a squeak maybe.

chakaping

How much do you get out of your fork OP? Is it coil?

I only have a tiny trickle when I service my air forks, and it just soaks into the old bedsheet I’ve put under my work area.

footflaps

Put it into a suitable container and take it to the local tip for proper disposal.
    Posted 2 hours ago

I had a 25l container half full of toxic and flammable polyurethane sealant which I took to the tip and asked them what to do with it – the chap said ‘chuck it in the skip’. I explained that it was highly flammable and not nice stuff and he just insisted I chuck it in the skip. Apparently it would get sorted out when they emptied the skip…

Can’t say I was very impressed and wouldn’t want to be someone dealing with the skips at the other end….

kayak23

You know, the nasty looking sludgy stuff in a bucket after servicing your forks.

I assumed you meant the old suspension off your car.

Sorry. I’m overworked.

matt_outandabout

This. I took mine last week – but realised I don’t have another 2.5lt container spare so need to fine another one for this years oils.

smiffy

soak it into newspaper and light the fire with it.

dyna-ti

I’ve a coke bottle i put such things into. Fork oil, brake fluid etc. along with a funnel tied on with a length of string so it stays with it. When bottle is full i take it to the dump and let them responsibly burn it.

Once I accidentally took a swig, and because of that then removed the coke cola label and put a warning label on instead, That is the problem with having a bottle of coke in the workshop to take a swig out of. Lesson learned.

saucemerlin
    Free Member

Not sure if the mouse was after the plastic, the residual milk or the hydrocarbons.

It probably came as a Revelation to him/her. Hope it was a case of “Mouse-OK”.

Turns out suspension/mouse puns are few and far between. 🤔

tthew

Once I accidentally took a swig, and because of that then removed the coke cola label and put a warning label on instead,

😨 awesome. I have an old-fire extinguisher tubeless inflator that I keep meaning to recolour. Not much risk of me drinking it, but blasting a fire with 100PSI air in a panic wouldn’t be entirely helpful!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My garage bin has sufficient used blu roll present from other tasks to absorb the small volumes used in forks, so it gets dripped in there and thrown away in standard rubbish.

Northwind

There’s so little, I don’t really think about it- usually I just stick a bin under the fork when I drop the lowers and it goes in there and is soaked up in rags and such then goes to landfill. If I ever had a quantity of it to get rid of it’d go in with the car oil.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Turns out suspension/mouse puns are few and far between. 🤔

Serves you right for trying two on the bounce.
    Maybe it was in the mouses domain and he was trying to fight it off. Probably been watching Mike tyson fight and figured if a good nibble is fine for a boxer it’s all good for him.

jkomo

Mine goes in a small container in the garage and waits till I kick it over.

doomanic

I service my forks at a mate’s house so it’s his problem. I do bring beer though.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.