Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do I do quotes on here, that actually work…
  • stumpy01

Something has changed with quotes. I never use to have a problem with them. But for the last few weeks I seem to have a ridiculous hit rate with successfully getting quotes to work.

It seems that if I copy in text from another post & then edit it at all (to delete the irrelevant bits, for example), then the formatting goes nuts & I get loads of stuff that shouldn’t be there.

Are there some rules to doing this successfully?

See this post here:

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/late-night-bonk/#post-11537274

I copied & pasted the text, then deleted the text that says “Free Member” after the poster’s name. I then selected the text I want to be in a quote box & use the speech marks symbol. And it all goes pear-shaped….

savoyad

Press B-QUOTE (gets you an open blockquote tag).
    Paste what you want to quote (just the text)
    Press B-QUOTE again (gets you a close blockquote tag).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I copied & pasted the text, then deleted the text that says “Free Member” after the poster’s name

That’s the problem right there. You need to just select and copy the visible text of the post without getting any of the name/ member/posted crap that sits around it. There is loads of hidden HTML that you’re picking up which is screwing up your post

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What device? I’ve never noticed a ” symbol. I get a b-quote button though…

I copied & pasted the text, then deleted the text that says “Free Member” after the poster’s name.

Have you tried just copying the stuff you want and not cutting all the junk out afterwards lest it’s an issue with formatting you’re unable to see and only removing half of etc?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OR paste what you want into post, select the bit you want as a quote and then then hit the quote button and it puts the tags at each end for you.
    A couple of clicks less to do.

tjagain

I find the best way is to type the whole thing out in full! Its the only way to get the name posted.

[ quote = ” stumpy01 ” ]Something has changed with quotes.[ /quote ] without the spaces

stumpy01

It’s done it again – I didn’t cut anything out of this, just pasted it in & hit the speech mark quote button:

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-is-needed-for-an-interactive-indoor-ride/#post-11537386

dangeourbrain – what device? It’s on a Win10 laptop. It used to say ‘blockquote’ I think, but the formatting header at the top of the post window, now has a speech mark symbol.

So, it reads – B (bold), I (italic) U with an underline (for underline), then a large speech mark for quotes……

I also have at the bottom of the window a partitioned section with a P in it, which seems to be some kind of code thing.

If I hit B for bold, it changes to P >> STRONG and the text seems to change in the preview box in real time to bold – so I am seeing the bold as I type which never used to happen.

And it goes back to normal when turned off….

I think I will just use the

…….

long-hand instead as TJ suggests.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

OR paste what you want into post, select the bit you want as a quote and then then hit the quote button

and it puts the tags at each end for you.

A couple of clicks less to do.

EDIT: That works! Every day’s a school day

simondbarnes

Have you tried going into your account preferences and turning off the fancy editor?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

tjagain
    I find the best way is to type the whole thing out in full! Its the only way to get the name posted.

Hmm.No preview button for me so lets see.
    EDIT. Well that was just select the whole thing.
    Paste into the post. Select it all and hit quote. On a mac.

stumpy01

simondbarnes
    Have you tried going into your account preferences and turning off the fancy editor?

Oh yes!! You absolute star! I didn’t turn it on myself (I didn’t even know it was there), but it appeared a few weeks ago and that was when the problem started.
    Turned off now & back to ‘b-quote’ in the header options.
    Thanks!!!!

simondbarnes

Thanks!!!!

No worries

johnx2
    Free Member

Thanks!!!!

No worries

Good to see sorted, but is there a way to attribute quotes automatically – so you can see who said what in the above, say?

stumpy01

johnx2

Good to see sorted, but is there a way to attribute quotes automatically – so you can see who said what in the above, say?

I don’t think that’s possible.
    Maybe you need to try the ‘fancy editor’ 🙂
    Although I have never seen anyone doing what you suggest.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do I do quotes on here, that actually work…’ is closed to new replies.