Home Forums Chat Forum How come the DVLA are still charging a handling fee for credit card payments?

• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How come the DVLA are still charging a handling fee for credit card payments?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I thought that they had been outlawed by the government, yet they want to charge me £2.50 for a credit card payment.

Bobbing Rastards.

Trimix
    Free Member

They also charge more per month for 6 mths than 12.

welshfarmer

Thought the fee was now only on company credit cards and no longer on private ones. I certainly paid without fees earlier this month using my own CC

bikebouy
    Free Member

Since Saturday 13 January all surcharges for paying by credit or debit card have been banned – this includes payment methods linked to your card, such as PayPal or Apple Pay.

Companies CAN still charge you a booking or admin fee as long as it applies to other forms of payment, and you can still be charged if you use a business credit or business debit card.

Companies CAN still charge, I think you’ll find as it’s a Government department it can do what the chuffing hell it likes until it gets into court.

Complain, best of luck.

Plenty of councils are still charging, they’ve done bugger all about the new rules and are often quoting “resources and budget constraints” as the prime mitigation factors.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When you pay by credit card there is a delay for the payment to get to the seller. Cash has a cost associated with it so that cost is being charged back to the consumer.  Why should the taxpayer have to pay for your convenience?

pdw
    Free Member

I think you’ll find as it’s a Government department it can do what the chuffing hell it likes until it gets into court.

That’s certainly not HMRC’s view: HMRC stopped accepting credit cards altogether as a result of this stupid new legislation, so if you were happy to pay a small CC fee in order to spread the load of your tax bill then you’re SOL.  It’s what happens when you don’t allow organisations to charge a price that reflects their costs.

See: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/withdrawal-of-personal-credit-card-payments-cip29

I suspect welshfarmer is right – the above makes reference to *personal* credit cards.

bikebouy
    Free Member

5 London Councils are still charging fees on both personal and company cards.

vinnyeh

5 London Councils are still charging fees on both personal and company cards.

Curious about this- any further info- which ones, a link.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I understood they weren’t to charge for debit cards but could for credit cards.

It seems more sensible to charge for credit cards, particularly where there is no head room to accommodate the merchant charges.

Seamus
    Free Member

Just paid my tax by credit card – no fee. As said above it is only buisness CCs that are charged a fee.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

<div class=”st-topic-reply “>
    <div class=”loop-item-4 user-id-45129 bbp-parent-forum-180317 bbp-parent-topic-9955812 bbp-reply-position-5 odd post-9955899 reply type-reply status-publish hentry”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”st-topic-reply “>
    <div id=”post-9955959″ class=”bbp-reply-header”>
    <div class=”bbp-meta”></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”loop-item-5 user-id-18655 bbp-parent-forum-180317 bbp-parent-topic-9955812 bbp-reply-position-6 even post-9955959 reply type-reply status-publish hentry”>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-author”></div>
    </div>
    </div>

Harry_the_Spider

It was Business Credit cards and AMEX. The website isn’t clear.

Tax paid.

Tesco points earned.

hugo
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why card payments aren’t more transparent?

Credit card transaction costs are higher because of consumer protection insurance and different processing, etc.  This is fine to me, and perfectly reasonable, but just make it clear when you buy.  Eg paying by credit card you just cover the actual increase in cost, be it 1.5% or whatever.  Sticking a rounded figure on there that’s clearly overcharging people is an issue, but wanting to pay be CC should cost more.

It’s the random numbers thrown out like £1 per transaction in small shop that annoys people.  If it does cost x% per transaction and you’re desperate to pay for your bread and milk with a CC then be aware the calculator is going to come out and charge you an extra x%.

I’ve got a no fees international credit card that I always feel bad about using (not bad enough not to use) abroad because I know the retailer misses out.  I, however, am not charged any transaction fees and receive the interbank rate of conversion. This card should cost more to use but doesn’t.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How come the DVLA are still charging a handling fee for credit card payments?’ is closed to new replies.