Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • House/bike insurance recommendations
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Now that M&S have wised up to not giving multi-bike cover, what is the current best bet for home and decent bike multi bike cover?

Cheers

bonesetter
    Free Member

Bump

u02sgb
    Free Member

I’d be interested too. My m&s cover is up for renewal in November. Does this mean they’re taking off the 4 grand unnamed item limit?

njee20
    Free Member

Not if you renew, just if you take out a new policy. Just don’t let it lapse!

spooky_b329

Yep, renew the policy and you keep the terms. I just checked and when I move house they will honour the original terms too 🙂

Blurboy
    Free Member

Just renewed with Halifax and they have also stopped taking on new bike business at that level and above. They do honour existing policy holders however.

Bregante

Aviva have just undercut my current insurers by just short of £100 this year after I tried to increase the value of my bike cover and it was refused.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is a separate policy for the bikes a better option now then?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone know of a good stand alone insurance cover?

mudshark
    Free Member

I was with Barclays, who were a lot cheaper than M&S, but now switched to Quotemehappy.com which almost seems too cheap….

bonesetter
    Free Member

does quotemhappy cover your bikes then?

mudshark
    Free Member

Yep – a for an extra few quid – £2.5k individual cycle limit.

Document says:

We will provide cover for loss of or damage to your pedal cycles
    anywhere in the world up to the limit shown on your schedule.

We will not cover:

loss or damage to tyres or accessories unless the pedal cycle
    is stolen or damaged at the same time;
    • 
    loss or damage while the pedal cycle is being used for racing,
    pace making trials or business purposes;
    • 
    theft while away from the home, unless in a building or
    securely locked to an object that cannot be moved;

mbl1
    Free Member

Mudshark – do you ever leave your bike in a car or van?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just been through the quotemehappy – £430

How much is yours mudshark?

We were with the AA – £280 and comes with free breakdown cover

monkeyboyjc

The AA under cut my old M&S policy, although I only have one bike and had to add the bike on as a separate item (gits still cheaper). I may change to natwest next year – they said that they cover bikes up to 2.5k as standard and as Im an existing customer they garrentee to undercut my current policy.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine was £207 – deepest Surrey. Surprised it’s so cheap but safe here I suppose.

Mudshark – do you ever leave your bike in a car or van?

I don’t leave my bikes in a car but important issue. Maybe car insurance could cover that?

spooky_b329

Is a separate policy for the bikes a better option now then?

No, bike specific policies are crammed with small print and the premiums are generally around 10% of the bike value.

Car insurance is also extremely unlikely to cover a bike, there is normally a limit on personal possessions, plus they have to be in a locked compartment such as a saloon boot or glovebox.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Had a look at stand alone cycle insurance – ‘£53 per year’ etc… wrong. As you say, 10% of all the bikes value, so if a few bikes worth a few grand you can be looking at a few hundred quid premium

frazered
    Free Member

AA don t do new for old on cycles !

njee20
    Free Member

£2.5k is pretty low too as well.

bonesetter
    Free Member

frazered – Member
    AA don t do new for old on cycles !

Damn! Back to square one then

chrispuppet

protect your bubble looks good. Just bought a new bike this weekend so looking around myself. new for old up to 3 years old.

bonesetter
    Free Member

protect your bubble – 330 per month! That’s alot.

I’ve given up on the standalone cycle insurance – needs to be ahousehold/new for old on bikes – who keeps their bikes for more than 3 years anyway?

spooky_b329

If you are running out of options, just go for the self-insure option. Get an ISA, pay your ‘premium’ into that every month. Once you’ve got two or three £k in there, thats your ‘bad luck’ fund and you can stop paying insurance 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ended up going AA home Insurance with bikes declared – £235 with two bikes (the ones which are in a vulnerable position) with agreed £2.5K value

DT78
    Free Member

So my m&s renewal has just dropped through the door, £527 including away from home cover…..from above sounds like it is still the best deal?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i pay 55 quid a month for home contents and building insurance from M&S

sure there are better deals out there but the cover level is not equal

i tried to get cover for my bikes separate. – it was in the region of 1000 quid for the year (and that only covered my 3 most expensive bikes)and it had all sorts of crazy stipulations and clauses that i doubted they would EVER pay out.

decided the best bed was to stump up for the house cover.

I would advise if you have any bikes of significant value that for service and cover you wont beat M&S if you have an old style policy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘House/bike insurance recommendations’ is closed to new replies.