Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • House with suicide history – would you live there?
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, we’re moving. The plan is to live in a more rural area nearer to Mrs North’s family.

We’re looking at houses. One house on the list has lots of things going for it (including price) but….

….the reason it’s being sold is that the wife of the seller took her own life in the house. Indeed, she was a relative of Mrs North.

I feel uncomfortable about the idea of living in a house when I know this about its past, and I can’t seem to rationalise my way outof it.

If you knew this, would you be able to live in such a house?

iDave
    Free Member

I could, it’s just a house, it did nothing to anyone, and everyone dies somewhere.

MSP

Wouldn’t bother me, I would be more worried by the ancient Indian burial ground in the cellar 😯

bassspine
    Free Member

A best mate moved into a bedsit where a woman had been stabbed 48 times. He got let off the deposit because he cleaned it up. The room was actually quite a nice place. I was in a bedsit in the same house – it was one of those party houses; the murder was done by the one person we didn’t know in the entire building.

The bit that really got to me was another mate got the chair in which she’d died out of the skip and used it in his flat. It had stab holes. Grim.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A random? No. A relly? Maybe.

Purely a personal thing though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I once rented a room in Southend

A few weeks later I was informed the last occupant was murdered or committed suicide (I forget which, it was a long time ago!) and it never bothered me….

organic355
    Free Member

A best mate moved into a bedsit where a woman had been stabbed 48 times. He got let off the deposit because he cleaned it up.

I thought crime scene clean up did that?

derek_starship
    Free Member

My first instinct was a no. So I’ll stick with that. I have one of those minds wherein this fact would fester and could become a tad dominant. I’d leave it.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks for sharing your stories of murder, peeps. Nice….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s just a pile of bricks…… nothing to worry about.
    Unless you buy a newly built house there’s a very high chance someone has died in any house.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Unless the person took her own life because of the a poltergeist that terrorized the house I wouldn’t be to worried

roper
    Free Member

We had a family car which someone had killed themselves in. It was never a concern and we got good use out of it with days out and lots of nice things. What do you think it is that would put you off?.
    I once took a job that had become available due to the last person committing suicide too. I thought that might be a problem for the other members of staff but they were lovely and made me very welcome.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I once took a job that had become available due to the last person committing suicide too. I thought that might be a problem for the other members of staff but they were lovely and made me very welcome.

Maybe they decided that taking the pish out of the newby was not such a good idea after the last one topped himself 😉

ourmaninthenorth

OK, some (in)sanity of STW speaks.

I’ll put it on the list. But, it was the prospect of having to sell the house that made her hang herself from the attic hatch.

DaRC_L

agreed unless an evil spirit/monkey/demon/atheist thing in the house caused the suicide.

I wouldn’t watch “The Grudge” (if I were you) tho’….

convert

The known suicide bit I could live with I think but if it is a relative would that mean parts of your family might have a difficult relationship with this house (presuming this lady was unhappy before she committed suicide it can’t have been a happy place to visit) which vicariously might be passed on to a funny relationship with you?

There are two places I ride which I find a bit weird now – but still go past. One was where I crawled under the back of a lorry and spent the last few minutes with a young lad who had been knocked off his motorbike and other was where I found a suicide hung from a tree. Never have happy thoughts at either spot and have flashbacks to past events.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Remind me not to go out for a ride with Mr Convert! 😯

roper
    Free Member

lol, good point sharkbait

lowey

mrmo
    Free Member

i know my sister looked at a house and decided against it when she found out that the previous owner, a blind man, was doing diy with a circular saw and cut an artery in his leg and bleed out on the kitchen floor.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

lowey – that house looks sad – a bit like Marvin the Robot from the original hitch-hikers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don’t think it would concern me. but a relative is a bit different than someone unknown.

I can appreciate why you/ someone else wouldn’t want that house though.

personal choice.

geoffj

OMITN in his new house

ourmaninthenorth

Funnily, she was a relative of Mrs North (her mum’s cousin) and Mrs North claims not to be bothered. The house has been in the family since it was built, although financial woes meant she (the cousin) and her husband were going to have to sell it. Evidently she was in a dark place, and this is the factor that tipped her over the edge.

Apparently, it was one of those “unexpected” suicides, where she had well hidden how she felt. She left her husband readin the paper in the living room, closed the door, climbed the stairs and then hanged herself from the attic hatch. He wondered where she was, walked out of the living room and saw her.

I guess, ultimately, we could try it and, if it doesn’t work out, swallow the cost and move elsewhere.

KT1973
    Free Member

I inherited my uncles car after he killed himself in it.
    He stuck a hosepipe in the window.
    He drowned

geoffj

On a serious note, would you want to buy a house from a relative?

I’d be way more worrried about that side of things than the suicide – especially, given the financial aspect to it all. What would happen if you were judged to have benefited financially by buying it at a reduced price etc.

ourmaninthenorth

On a serious note, would you want to buy a house from a relative?

There is always the danger of awakening to an “equine surprise”..!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I inherited my uncles car after he killed himself in it.
    He stuck a hosepipe in the window.
    He drowned

😆

BigJohn

A best mate moved into a bedsit where a woman had been stabbed 48 times

Why did she keep going back there? Couldn’t she get the hint?

miketually
    Free Member

A previous occupant of our house apparently committed suicide. There is a piece of rope hanging from a rafter in the bottom garage that my wife’s convinced is where he did it.

If it bothers you now, I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

monksie
    Free Member

“…a blind man, was doing diy with a circular saw….”

I’m sure there is a joke in there somewhere but I don’t get it.
    I laughed anyway.
    I’m sometimes not a nice person.

Woody
    Free Member

the previous owner, a blind man, was doing diy with a circular saw

Lucky he wasn’t doing a spot of welding !

ourman – I think it might bother you as you are thinking about it already……and every time you go up the stairs, or hear a creak………. 😯 .

sharkbait
    Free Member

But, it was the prospect of having to sell the house that made her hang herself from the attic hatch.

That bit’s structurally sound then 🙂

hora
    Free Member

The owner in the house we now live in was found on the kitchen floor where she had keeled over and died (only there overnight mind).

The day I exchanged I was stretched out flat on the kitchen floor ripping every single bit of lino from under everything. Didnt occur to me.

Although I will admit the plastic bin lid lifted and shut twice last night (We don’t have any doors internally yet so you can hear clearly)…

ourmaninthenorth

Hora – at least your ghost is tidy..!

It is true that we often don’t know what went on in houses, and it’s interesting that miketually isn’t in the least bit phased by the prior suicide there.

I think I need to ghostTFU….

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t think I could. It would be too weird. I know ghost don’t exist and if I said vibes most of you would roll your eyes at me but all the same. Just a bit freaky

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I dont go for that superstitious stuff like that emsz 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Hora – at least your ghost is tidy

😆

I haven’t mentioned it to mrshora as I might be going away to see mateys etc in the near future and I don’t want to spook her!

Suicide? I’m not sure. Most houses will have had someone die in. I looked at another house where there was a dark yellow residue on the walls and a new square cut and replaced in the centre of the room in the floorboards. I asked the agent if the older owner had died in the house (yes), ‘here’? (yes).

That wierded me out too much (along with the walls which could have been nicotine but still).

meehaja
    Free Member

we looked at a house where my mother in laws best friend killed herself. Its just a house, people die in them all the time. Would it affect your decision if an elderly person had died in their sleep and not been found for three weeks?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘House with suicide history – would you live there?’ is closed to new replies.