Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Hospitals – a rant
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Toilet brush vs @rsehole

A True pain in the arse patient for the NHS to deal with. Subsequently went to theatre to have it removed and bled like a stuck pig apparently.

Isn’t just GP’s though as the surgeon at first tells the casualty officer to just pull it out.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ever really needed proper medical care was coincidentally due to my sinuses; Went to GP, he gave me a steroid spray (biggest polyp he’d ever seen!), 10 days later, it hadn’t worked so I was referred and seen by ENT the next day.

Was seen by someone clearly incompetent, she couldn’t speak good english, and took an unnecessary (and very painful!) biopsy and then left me sitting there bleeding for about half an hour! Wasn’t very happy about all that, but after her faffing for a while she decided to get help.

I was then seen by a consultant, who would have booked me in for the following week for an op (I waited a week longer so I didn’t have to miss any uni!), turned up on the day about 15 minutes late (at 9.15) because they’d told us to park in a car park which was closed and due to be demolished. Was told I wouldn’t be seen til later so was given some squash (as I hadn’t eaten/drank anything since 8pm previous night). Was then left sitting watching TV until 4.30pm when I was finally called in.

Op was over quickly, and I’d been told I could go home that day, problem was my consultant had gone home (I was the last one on his list), but all the nurses were very nice and eventually they got hold of the consultant who said I could home (and to come back in straight away if there were any problems).

Sinuses flaired up again a couple of months ago, I went straight to the GP as I was worried the polyp was back, he reassured me that it was jus tan infection, and no polyps but gave me some antibiotics to clear it up quickly (as previous polyp had apparently been caused by a long lasting infection in the sinus)

Not sure that was really relevant but it makes the point that there are a few dodgy people in the NHS, but generally people will go out of their way to help you.

Hope your wife is feeling better soon too, sinusitis is not pleasant 🙁

Drac

Junior Dr’s you say.

Check out the awesome Paramedic with the bald head, he works long shifts, gets home late and he’s not fat. Good looking lad too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQmfgNf6cCo#t=8m25

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Show me a person that has never made a mistake and I’ll show you someone that has never tried to do anything.

The NHS is consistently brilliant with moments of shit.

noteeth
    Free Member

Excellent post, Gasman.

But the fundamental idea of choice and competition is right, and would work like a charm if implemented properly

Go on then, explain how competition would work in the context of acute services currently provided by a major teaching hospital – I’m talking A&E, emergency theatres, ITU etc. You spout this ideological dribble, and yet you are unable to offer anything except platitudes about the “market”. The irony being that high quality care is often best characterised by co-operation – between individuals, between teams, between – gasp! – hospitals.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

*I’m an engineer, I like this doctor

All my favourite doctors have had no people skills at all. Inspires confidence, you know straight away this guy didn’t get where he is by playing the game and buttering up the right people, therefore, must be a good doctor.

DrP

To the OP; so the out of hours gp you saw followed NICE guidelines (no ABx for 5 days, but steroid spray if significant sinusitis), and you’re not happy because you think antibiotics are the answer to everything?
    This isn’t an attack at you, but more in general the idea that a lot of people demand everything from the nhs (evidence lacking treatment, instant access to a consultant etc) then moan when a gp/a&e don’t supply it!
    If you want that sort of choice, go private. If you want treatment that is evidence based, and isn’t going to drain the national health resources, sick with the nhs…

DrP

Woody
    Free Member

Check out the awesome Paramedic with the bald head, he works long shifts, gets home late and he’s not fat. Good looking lad too.

As no-one has said it…….. awesome Drac and all true, although the last bit is pushing it!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and you’re not happy because you think antibiotics are the answer to everything?

Well you see, this is where you are entirely wrong – I am not happy because the level of service was lacking, not because he wouldn’t prescribe ABs.

Why don’t you read the OP and consider what I said, or, if you wish I will recap…

It is an ongoing condition and only ABs helped last time. My wife told the GP this fact.

The GP didn’t know how to write a prescription.

The GP needed a second opinion on what drugs he should give *for his (seemingly incorrect) diagnosis*

The GP thought my wife’s tonsils were not inflamed.

My wife had her tonsils removed as a child.

neninja
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but my experiences of our local hospitals have been superb.

My mum had a heart attack last week. The standard of care in the local hospital was excellent and all the staff lovely. I’m eternally grateful.

Similarly good experiences with birth of both kids (with a difficult birth with one and my wife poorly after the 2nd), myself hospitalised with glandular fever, ligament damage, A&E after injuries etc.

It’s easy to knock big organisations like the NHS but they generally do an excellent job. Just be grateful you have a mostly free medical system where you can actually see a doctor so easily.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

neninja – I too have had good experiences (see way back at the beginning of the thread ^^^^^ ) – mum’s lung cancer operation three months ago and my newborn twins in SCBU two years ago.

Similarly I have had bad experiences (around Christmas we had hell on getting a proper diagnosis of one of our daughters’ chest infection even though her sister had just come out of hospital after two nights in with pneumonia).

And I still have a thought in the back of my head that they could have done more for my dad two years ago – expected home on the Saturday after recovering from a bout of pneumonia then suddenly died on the Friday morning. To this day I think he just died in his sleep because the mask had come off and he had already been taken off all monitoring equipment so they just found him dead at breakfast. I had considered trying to find out but as a family we decided it wasn’t worth finding out as it won’t bring him back.

neninja
    Free Member

Agreed – as I said I’ve been lucky to mainly just see the good side.

I do however have a GP at our practise who I now refuse to see as he has misdiagnosed me so many times. There are sadly always going to be a few people working in the NHS who aren’t up to the job. Fortunately they are in the minority.

My Grandad (sadly now passed) had a near miss in Coventry – the hospital pharmacist mis-labelled some drugs dosage to 4 times the safe limit and they were basically poisoning him. Fortunately a doctor realised what was happening when his condition deteriorated sharply.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I had an excellent experience with the A&E in Manchester last week after I crashed my bike – I was seen to almost immediately and looked after good and proper.

Some of the people in the waiting room were complete morons, there was a drunk bloke stumbling around falling on people and a lad with a swollen ankle was asking the doctor for temazepam. He’d also mysteriously lost the crutches he had been given. And this is all on a Friday morning at half nine, God knows what it is like at three in the morning on a Saturday night.

I think people who work in the NHS are doing a thankless task and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he has misdiagnosed me so many times

On a similar note, my dad used to see the same GP all the time (for almost all of his adult life). On one occasion the GP prescribed something and my dad took the prescription to his normal chemist. The chemist refused to prescribe the medication because he knew what other meds dad was on and that the combination could have killed him.

How on earth the GP could not have realised that I will never know.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hospitals – a rant’ is closed to new replies.