Horizontal drop-out and Disk brake alignment problem

Home Forum Bike Forum Horizontal drop-out and Disk brake alignment problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Horizontal drop-out and Disk brake alignment problem
  • Premier Icon dafoxster
    Subscriber

I have a Kinesis Decade Virsa and I am using the horizontal drop outs. I am having a problem with disk brake alignment. With the chain at the shortest it can be the wheel is quite far back in the drop out. The frame does not have any adjustment for the caliper mount so the disk is rubbing against the caliper at the rear. I was thinking of mounting the disk brake a little higher but then I lose surface area on the pad. If I remove a chain link it is far too short.

Any tips?

jonba

I mounted my brake a little higher on my inbred. Just added a few washers. If you only do a slamm adjustment and it is rubbing now then you should still get proper contact.

Bear in mind the chain will stretch.

Can you try a slightly different ratio? 34:17 rather than 32 16?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

try a half link to move the hub forward.

ndthornton

Just been through this with a recent build – it is annoying that some frames come with horizontal dropout options with no way to adjust the brake mounts.

In the end I found I had a lot more adjustment than I feared but certainly not able to use the whole length of the dropout.

As mentioned – with a half-link in the chain you will be able to line up to the nearest 1/4 inch which is about the same as the adjustment you will have on the slider so should be OK.

Mine didn’t need a half link now but probably will as the chain stretches – which is a pain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Horizontal drop-out and Disk brake alignment problem’ is closed to new replies.