Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hope mono m4 brakes
  • Rockape
    Free Member

Hi all
    Hope mono M4 brakes. Anybody using/used them? What are they like? Seen some secondhand wondered if it’s worth a purchase! 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Like all hope brakes – some love ’em some hate ’em

Like all hope brakes plenty of power, fully rebuildable, soft lever feel that some don’t like and mistake for lackof power.

grantway
    Free Member

love them great brakes, came with my 2008 Orange 5 AM

+1 for the Tandem Jeremy revue above

Buy no regrets

Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks. Tandem and grantway anything is an improvement on the deore ones I have on loan at moment.

grantway
    Free Member

Put it this way my mate went down and if it was not for the Mono 4’s
    I would have ridden over his head. thats a fact

69er
    Free Member

I bought a couple of sets off eBay in less than good order. Serviced them both for a few quid and sold the second pair on which paid for both!

They’ve been great brakes, I’m not all worried about getting spares or servicing them, they have plenty of power and they’re British!

Rockape
    Free Member

Haha @ grantway nice discription! like one of those happy customer testimonials you get on a company website.

Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks for your input 69er. Helpful you just never know till you as the stw gang.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Your deore ones should be fine unless the seals have gone – whats wrong with them

Rockape
    Free Member

Hi tandem my deore ones were buggers to bleed and don’t seem to have much power also noisy. I had some slx ones that were nice brakes. But were on my bike that got stolen the other week. They were going to go on my BFe I’ve just built so I had to borrow deore ones off my bro.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve the same pair on four bikes over the last 5 (ish) years and they have been faultless. You need to spend ten minutes or so setting them up perfectly (follow the vids on hopes web site) and then they are good to go. A new set of seals and pistons earlier this year and they are as good as new.

M4’s + SS kevlar red pads and big fookoff rotors = More than enough for most folks.

Rockape
    Free Member

Sounds great neilsonwheels just the sort of thing i’m looking for cheers.

P20

5 bikes in the garage, 4 have hope mono4 brakes. The other has v brakes 😆 I love them, great feel, power and doddle to work on when the time arises

chiefgrooveguru

So the Tech levers with the bite point and reach adjust – does that mean that in muddy gritty conditions you can twiddle a couple of knobs to move the pads away from the disk for less graunching but still have the lever travel to get full power? And then in nicer conditions bring them back in for shorter sharper pull?

I can’t fault my Elixirs for braking performance and reliability, but as anyone who rides with me will attest, they don’t half make a whole host of annoying noises (and there’s usually some drag happening too…)

gsp1984
    Free Member

Get some bought, they are awesome, especially with sintered pads.

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone?

Kevevs
    Free Member

They work. They stop your bike. They are very good at it. ummm…7.2/10 there’s definitly better reviews out there but yeh, i LIKE EM.

saxabar
    Free Member

I have a pair without reach adjust and a set with. Despite tinkering, I’ve never got my pair with reach adjust to bite as much as I’d like. Not too much of a problem on regular trails, but on speedy steep descents I like a bit more certainty.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I notice today how much better my rear feels with the sintered compared to the front with the original organic pads… The fronts feel rubbish in comparison.

coatesy
    Free Member

Bite point adjust on Tech levers doesn’t move the pads at all, it allows the M/C piston to move further back from the point where it covers the transfer port to the reservoir and begins to create pressure in the system.Basically, it gives your lever “dead travel” before anything starts to work. As for buying M4s from E-Bay, i’d suggest you ask if they’ve been subjected to mineral fluid before you buy, I had a recent customer that decided he was going to put his on there rather than pay to sort the damage caused.

Rockape
    Free Member

Thanks you all for all your input and help. I have IS mount forks and rear frame mounts. Would I be able to use my shimano brake adapters with post mount hope or will I need hope ones?

Thanks coatesy for the heads up on those brakes. I had seen some on eBay but might just buy new! one brake at a time when I can afford.

coatesy
    Free Member

Shimano mounts should be fine.

Rockape
    Free Member

That’s great news cheers coatesy

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hope mono m4 brakes’ is closed to new replies.