Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • what trainer under £150 (has this been asked before)?
  • sefton
    Free Member

sorry guys

what trainer for under £150?

cheers

robh

bump

Junkyard
    Free Member

How many pairs do you want fo rthat price?

Janesy
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

fluid = quiet

magnetic = not quite as quiet, but cheeper

air = cheep, but you’ll need ear defenders for yourself and neighbours and the neighbours neighbours.

Spend as much as you can justify on it, I’ve had 2 new ones, both have later been sold for not much of a loss (the postage is usualy more than 50% of the total loss), inflation in the prices seems to have helped that.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

There’s always loads of barely used ones for sale. Split the budget and get a turbo and some rollers.

sefton
    Free Member

I like the idea of rollers as I think it would keep me from getting board but can you progress as much as a trainer? I have a Garmin with heart rate monitor. suppose with a roller there only the option of going faster???

thomthumb
    Free Member

I wanted to be able to mount track bike (120mm spaced) and road and mtb in my turbo.

I also had it on good authority that fluid is good for road training but magnetic was better for mtb training.

i bought the cyclops mag+

If if i hadn’t needed the 120mm ability i would have bought tack satori blue (which is probably nicer)

HTH

aracer
    Free Member

I also had it on good authority that fluid is good for road training but magnetic was better for mtb training.

😆 – dare I ask where you got that advice?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Removed my question as above 🙄

m00s3y
    Free Member

Got a set of Antares rollers, only three rides old, for sale for £80.. based in Shropshire, ideally collect!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

wow, that seems somewhat odd advice to me.

I use a turbo for Sufferfest sessions, and rollers for technique and less intensive sessions.

Rollers are no where near as bad as people make out. By the second session I was quite happily riding for 10-15 minutes without having to stabilise myself. After an hour you know you’ve done a session.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I have a nearly new cycleops fluid 2 you can have for £150, this one

trickydisco
    Free Member

I did all my interval sessions on rollers last winter (then again i had a resistance unit on mine). Had no problem hitting my higher HR and power

sefton
    Free Member

After an hour you know you’ve done a session.

so the average rider can get a lung bursting workout – or would you quickly acclimatize to spinning big gears with no Resistance?

like I said I’d like to do some heart rate training but I should imagine the only way to get my htr up would be to go faster?

sefton
    Free Member

whats the crack with adding a resistance unit then?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Rollers are fine for something like 2*20 minutes. I would not fancy doing a downward spiral session on them though. Horses for courses really as you’re training for different outcomes.

Variable resistance rollers look like the answer, but man they cost!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do rollers actually not add any resistance then as standard? Do you just purely do spinning at different cadence’s to get the heart rate up etc, or is peddaling in the lowest gear easier than pedaling in the highest gear?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yes the gears make a difference, therefore having a massive 54 tooth chanring would increase the effort needed.

There was some power output information somewhere in a review, but can’t seem to find it now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok, but its surely going to be nothing like a mag/fluid type trainer is it? My fluid trainer I think pretty much resembles riding on the road, although the resistance line doesnt remain linear with 53 / 12 combination being bloody hard work!

mudshark
    Free Member

There are some silly powerful turbos, mine goes to 1120% incline.

trickydisco
    Free Member

This what i have on mine

It’s basically a rail of magnets which has 5 resistance levels which move closr to the roller.

I now have a turbo from the classifieds for our club training sessions and would say you get a lot more resistance and able to crank out of the saddle. You can’t do this with rollers.

Primary reason for rollers is it’s a lot more involving and I actually looked forward to using them.. The turbo i wouldn’t

sefton
    Free Member

do you have any structure to your workouts on the rollers? or do you just put the miles in?

thomthumb
    Free Member

– dare I ask where you got that advice?

torq. why the surprise?

trickydisco
    Free Member

do you have any structure to your workouts on the rollers? or do you just put the miles in?

Yep

power based workouts

and did loads of base sessions at 1hour at a time (in zone 2)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Super interesting link trickydisco. What power range are you putting out on rollers?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Haven’t really been on them for a quite a few months (apart from warming up for races) but could easily hit my threshold of 330

I found those workouts online a couple of months ago so haven’t done any workouts going past my threshold.

sefton
    Free Member

is max heart rate easily achievable for us mortals (without going all out at 30+mph

trickydisco
    Free Member

is max heart rate easily achievable for us mortals (without going all out at 30+mph

on rollers?

i’d say easier on turbo but can be done on rollers with resistance unit (or let tyres down to 50psi)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

many thanks

sefton
    Free Member

yeah rollers (without resistance)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Id’ advise turbo if you want to be hitting your max. I never did any sessions on the rollers where I was hitting my max heart rate

sefton
    Free Member
    trickydisco
    Free Member

could the below be carried out on rollers

http://www.fullysussed.co.uk/web_documents/fully_sussed_training_plan_beginner.pdf

yep.. Lots of my sessions were a bit like this

20 mins warm up L2
    10 x 1 min efforts L4 with 1 mins easy L2
    between them,
    then 30 mins with 12 power pedal revs* every 2 mins for the 30
    mins.
    10 mins c.down to finish L2

* drop it down to make it two
    gears harder then accelerate for 12 pedal
    revs staying seated and keeping upper
    body still.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Sefton – email me if you want more info.. Got a few sessions and info that really worked for me

sefton
    Free Member

cool – as long as its easy to progress and workouts like this are cool I’m sold! 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

Super interesting link trickydisco. What power range are you putting out on rollers?

Just found an interval workout i did on the rollers
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87751764

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘what trainer under £150 (has this been asked before)?’ is closed to new replies.